NFC Task Launcher - anywhere to find directions?

kaivorb

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I purchases some NFC tags from tagstand, and they are very cool. But I was wondering if there was a location or depository for help in setting up commands?

Specifically, when I get in my car I want it to
1. Turn up media volume
2. Turn on Pocket Casts
3. Have Pocket Casts begin playing

Now I can get it do to the first two steps without a problem (which is wicked cool), but it's that third one I can't master. Is it possible? The fact that in the set up screen it gives the option for "custom directions" when I open Pocket Casts makes me believe more is possible than what it is doing. But I don't know how to write the proper code to make that custom direction make it start playing.

Has anyone gotten an NFC tag (which I definitely don't regret buying) to open a media app AND begin playing (could I get this to work with another media player instead? Mortplayer maybe?)?
Or has anyone figured out how to code that "custom directions" line? I'd love to play with it, but I don't know how yet.

I've checked the company site and found zilch. I checked XDA and also got bubkiss. Google did the same. I was hoping someone here might have an idea.

Thanks
K--

npompei

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Good question man. I just started using Poweramp music app and it's been great. Inside the app itself there is a setting that where you can have it start playing music/the app itself when headphones are plugged in. So maybe it could work by launching bluetooth or something?

So I'm not sure if it's possible to do exactly like you are saying. My sad guess would be a root thing. However, one way you could probably def get it would be through Tasker. Not sure how good you are with it but the it can really be helpful. In the NFC task app you can assign a Tasker action/task so you could program it into Tasker than backdoor it through the NFC app?

Hopefully that helps you in some way!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

kaivorb

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded TecTiles, and it is a nice program. Thanks for the suggestion. But it seems to do less than NFC Tasker. You can't "stack" events with it. You can only really do one thing per tag. Unfortunate.

But it DID work with my tags without a problem even though they weren't "official" TacTiles so that's cool.

The app does NOT have any extra areas for instruction to tell the program to do anything once open. Bummer.

It appears this functionality is not quite...well...functional, if you will. :)

K--

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've read that you can't use Tec Tiles to turn on GPS. Is this true? That would be my main reason to purchase them.

kaivorb

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I just checked on both apps for the ability to affect GPS.

The "Tec Tile" app can NOT affect GPS (at least not in any options I saw).
The "NFC Task Launcher" CAN affect GPS. It has a toggle switch you can choose.

As far as I can tell, either app can affect the tags. They seem fairly interchangeable so far.

Hope that helps.

K--

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I just checked on both apps for the ability to affect GPS.

The "Tec Tile" app can NOT affect GPS (at least not in any options I saw).
The "NFC Task Launcher" CAN affect GPS. It has a toggle switch you can choose.

As far as I can tell, either app can affect the tags. They seem fairly interchangeable so far.

Hope that helps.

K--
Thanks! I just looked at NFC Task Launcher but it only affects GPS if you have root. Since I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to root this phone just yet I'll probably pass on this for the moment.

krohnjw

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I purchases some NFC tags from tagstand, and they are very cool. But I was wondering if there was a location or depository for help in setting up commands?

Specifically, when I get in my car I want it to
1. Turn up media volume
2. Turn on Pocket Casts
3. Have Pocket Casts begin playing

Now I can get it do to the first two steps without a problem (which is wicked cool), but it's that third one I can't master. Is it possible? The fact that in the set up screen it gives the option for "custom directions" when I open Pocket Casts makes me believe more is possible than what it is doing. But I don't know how to write the proper code to make that custom direction make it start playing.

Has anyone gotten an NFC tag (which I definitely don't regret buying) to open a media app AND begin playing (could I get this to work with another media player instead? Mortplayer maybe?)?
Or has anyone figured out how to code that "custom directions" line? I'd love to play with it, but I don't know how yet.

I've checked the company site and found zilch. I checked XDA and also got bubkiss. Google did the same. I was hoping someone here might have an idea.

Thanks
K--

#3 may or may not be possible. If a specific activity launches and starts playing you could try launching that activity using the custom field com.package.name.Activity is the format. If it doesn't auto play when the activity opens you might be able to craft a custom intent (possible with extras) to get that done. However this isn't yet supported and you'd need to know the extras names and values explicitly to do this.

One thing you could try is launching the app and then trying start/stop media playback. The app itself would have needed to register to handle the media start/stop event (most audio apps seem to) - but this may work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair