10-24-2012 10:30 PM
113 1234 ...
tools
    Why are the weather widgets with clocks all look like the HOX?

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device
    07-14-2012 07:10 PM
    I use Apex. I tried Nova and for some reason the home page icons did not line up correctly. I am extremely happy with apex and use the weather widget from Fancy Widgets...
    07-14-2012 07:38 PM
    Please clarify what you mean by icons not lining up..
    07-14-2012 09:01 PM
    Another newb question....how does the lockscreen look on Nova or Apex versus TouchWiz?
    07-14-2012 10:45 PM
    I'd recommend people post images of their main home screen, thus we can all see said launchers
    jcp007 likes this.
    07-14-2012 10:50 PM
    I use Apex. I tried Nova and for some reason the home page icons did not line up correctly. I am extremely happy with apex and use the weather widget from Fancy Widgets...
    That's EXACTLY what I have set up.
    07-14-2012 11:15 PM
    Another newb question....how does the lockscreen look on Nova or Apex versus TouchWiz?
    The lockscreen doesn't change unless you change it.
    07-14-2012 11:16 PM
    Do you have the phone yet?
    07-14-2012 11:20 PM
    Do you have the phone yet?
    I have had it since June 21st. It is just that I have read so much about these third party launchers and I like to do my research especially since I am still very new to the Android OS having been a RIM owner for a number of years.
    07-14-2012 11:23 PM
    NOVA is the best!
    07-15-2012 12:27 AM
    Please clarify what you mean by icons not lining up..
    I just reinstalled it and now the home screen apps line up. Weird. The icons and text were previously lining up in a staggered format instead of a straight horizontal row.

still like Apex...
    07-15-2012 12:44 AM
    Image of my primary home screen using Nova. 7 icons wide and 7 high. Normally i go for super clean but this time i decided to go for something different.

Also Nova does not control the lock screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    jcp007 and dmart5420 like this.
    07-15-2012 12:50 AM
    I'm not using ICS at the moment, but I recommend you just download Apex or Nova to try. It wont bite

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    07-15-2012 01:21 AM
    Image of my primary home screen using Nova. 7 icons wide and 7 high. Normally i go for super clean but this time i decided to go for something different.

Also Nova does not control the lock screen.

With icons so close together in your screenshot, does that cause an issue with app launches? Could you have set up 5 or 6 icons in each row?
    07-15-2012 10:18 AM
    No issue launching apps for me that is. I would think everyone is different. You can setup less as well. Its really easy to change to so I just play around and ficure out what works for me.

When you select more rows and columns than stock you can also long press and resize widgets and things like that.

jcp007 likes this.
    07-15-2012 10:37 AM
    I have nova and the lock screen still ripples

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    07-15-2012 12:34 PM
    So no one in this thread has really answered the question: Nova or Apex. I can't really find the answer either and I have both installed right now!

First, you can install them (one or both) and Touchwiz does not go anywhere. At any time you can reset the default launcher and you will get a popup asking you which one you want to use (when you press the home button). If you don't tick the "Use by default" box then it continues to work like this. See attached screenshot.

I was able to leave the default unset and quickly go between my Touchwiz home screen and my Apex/Nova home screens. This helped me see my icon/widget layout in Touchwiz and copy that to Apex/Nova.

It seems that once you choose a default you can pretty much ignore the other(s). If I choose to set Nova as my default then there are no traces of Apex or Touchwiz (the home screen at least). At any time you can go reset that and pick another. Since I have all 3 installed now I'm not sure if there's any real reason to uninstall anything in case I change my mind later. It will be interesting to see if one of them is using any battery in the background - I will test that and post in this thread.

So once again..which one do I pick. I tried Nova first and set everything up the way I liked. Once I was comfy I then installed Apex and did it again. There were very few differences. Some things are achieved differently but the end result is the same. It's a total toss-up for me at this point but I know I'm not going back to Touchwiz. The ability to have more than 4 x 4 icon grid on the home screen is like changing your computer monitor resolution from 720p to 1080p. You suddenly have so much more space to work with!

The last part of this equation is annoying...both apps have more features once you pay. Some of the features in the free version of one are only accessible in the paid version of the other. It would be nice if I had more than 15 minutes to buy both and try out the premium features head to head...because that's the real test...
    07-15-2012 03:50 PM
    I'm using the paid version of Apex and really like it. Apex and Nova are almost interchangeable as far as features are concerned I think.
    I've tried both. Pretty much agree. Right now I'm using the paid version of Apex.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    07-15-2012 04:24 PM
    I just ran Apex for an hour with Nova unused the entire time. Badass Battery Monitor showed Nova as 0.0% battery usage during that time. Not sure if that's rounded down or not but it seems like further evidence that you can leave both Nova and Apex on your phone and switch whenever you want.

Also BTW in Apex the infinite scrolling options for the homescreen...I can't figure out what the difference is between jump and bounce.

EDIT: Found a fairly significant issue for me: Apex does not support creating folders in the app drawer (Nova does). I like the idea of being able to put folders in the app drawer instead of having them on the home screens.
    07-15-2012 05:10 PM
    A quick list of what differences I've been able to notice so far with each free version. Some things are ignored here knowing I will get them in the paid version. For example, Apex gives you most gestures for free - Nova you have to pay before you get any.

Nova Pros:
    -Can put folders and tabs in app drawer (only tabs in Apex)
    -Can change theme color without addon pack
    -Cleaner/faster home screen scroll animations (seeing some pixelation in cube transition of Apex as it disappears)
    -Can change speed of home screen and dock scrolling (vs. animation time)

Apex Pros:
    -App drawer can be vertical/paginated (not in Nova)
    -Folder preview icons with up to 9 icons (6 max in Nova)
    -Seems to have more settings/options - nothing significant though. I like being able to control what's on my home screen menu, for example.
    anon(153966) and droidXclone like this.
    07-15-2012 05:52 PM
    Can someone tell me if Nova will give unread counts for Exchange? It only mentions gmail in the write up.

That was thing I missed about Sense when I switched to Launcher Pro, and like that Touchwiz has it.
    07-15-2012 08:27 PM
    I got a question that hopefully someone can answer...I was messing around with Nova and moved my home screen to the furthest on the left. When I clicked confirm, it completely deleted my home screen that I had made, except for the docks. So I had to remake it, but now I have no icon for the Nova Settings, which was convenient. Now I can't figure out how to get it back...i know I can access it's settings through the menu button, but it's nice having the app on my home screen. Anyone know how I can get it back?
    07-15-2012 08:42 PM
    I'm using Holocaust Launcher Plus. It has lots of different options. You can use ICS shortcuts or use Samsung shortcuts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    07-15-2012 08:59 PM
    I'm using Holocaust Launcher Plus. It has lots of different options. You can use ICS shortcuts or use Samsung shortcuts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    Maybe it's a good launcher but I would have a problem putting a launcher named after the Holocaust on my phone. Just sayin'...
    07-15-2012 09:13 PM
    I got a question that hopefully someone can answer...I was messing around with Nova and moved my home screen to the furthest on the left. When I clicked confirm, it completely deleted my home screen that I had made, except for the docks. So I had to remake it, but now I have no icon for the Nova Settings, which was convenient. Now I can't figure out how to get it back...i know I can access it's settings through the menu button, but it's nice having the app on my home screen. Anyone know how I can get it back?
    Press the menu button bottom left and the nova settings will be in that list.
    07-15-2012 09:14 PM
113 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD