NOVA or Apex Laucher vs TouchWiz - Please Help

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the paid version of Apex and really like it. Apex and Nova are almost interchangeable as far as features are concerned I think.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Not exactly. But your contacts and info is backed up to your Google account.

If you brick your device. Then.unbrick it or get a new one, adding your Google Account will get your contacts back, info, email, whatever else.

The Launchers ha e an option to make a backup as well. Another thing, if you use Accuweather, it wont work on other Launchers. Only Touchwiz.

I don't have a Galaxy S III, but that's basic Android knowledge. :thumbup:

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

To confirm, the widget with AccuWeather and the time and GPS location only work on TouchWiz and not NOVA or Apex? Sorry for all the questions but I am new to Android.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm that I can't access that widget using Apex. I can also confirm that there are similar or more configurable widgets available for download such as Fancy Widgets or Beautiful Widgets. Good luck!

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I've used all the major third party launcher over the past few years and have the paid versions of most of them. I've been wanting to try Nova for ages but it doesn't work with Gingerbread which my previous phone had.

I downloaded the free version to try it out and LOVE IT. Makes a world of difference in the phone. It's incredibly fast and smooth but has tons of features allowing you to customize the pages as you like, which is really important to me. The 4x4 that TouchWiz has just doesn't work for me. Get an app like Home Manager and you can easily switch between the different launchers and see what you like. Also, back up the launchers once you set them up the way you want. My DH loved the Nova on mine so much and wanted the customization to use that large screen best that he immediately downloaded it and set it up as well. Definitely worth giving it a try.

FWIW, LauncherPro has been a fav of many people but it's not been updated in a very, very long time. So some of the scrolling widgets etc don't work. I def. prefer Nova or Apex over it. Apex EX seems to need to redraw more often (reloading the whole launcher) but to be fair, I've not tried it on the S3...the Rezound was the last one I used it on. Go launcher is good too but they are slowly adding ads to some of their apps which I hate so I've dropped it after using it for my primary launcher for a year+.

Right now I'd have to say Nova all the way...at least as many customization options as the others and FAST. It's the first app the DH has asked about the cost of b/c he wants the full program. For someone who's less techie...that's says a lot.

The best part is you can't go wrong. You can always change it up. Restore previous settings and enjoy playing with you new S3.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Why are the weather widgets with clocks all look like the HOX?

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device

Lfsnz67

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I use Apex. I tried Nova and for some reason the home page icons did not line up correctly. I am extremely happy with apex and use the weather widget from Fancy Widgets...

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the phone yet?

I have had it since June 21st. It is just that I have read so much about these third party launchers and I like to do my research especially since I am still very new to the Android OS having been a RIM owner for a number of years.

Lfsnz67

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Please clarify what you mean by icons not lining up..

I just reinstalled it and now the home screen apps line up. Weird. The icons and text were previously lining up in a staggered format instead of a straight horizontal row.

still like Apex...

vedwardsiii

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Image of my primary home screen using Nova. 7 icons wide and 7 high. Normally i go for super clean but this time i decided to go for something different.

Also Nova does not control the lock screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

ThatGuyLurkin

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not using ICS at the moment, but I recommend you just download Apex or Nova to try. It wont bite
:)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Image of my primary home screen using Nova. 7 icons wide and 7 high. Normally i go for super clean but this time i decided to go for something different.

Also Nova does not control the lock screen.

With icons so close together in your screenshot, does that cause an issue with app launches? Could you have set up 5 or 6 icons in each row?

vedwardsiii

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
No issue launching apps for me that is. I would think everyone is different. You can setup less as well. Its really easy to change to so I just play around and ficure out what works for me.

When you select more rows and columns than stock you can also long press and resize widgets and things like that.

Reactions: jcp007

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol