SD card fried in new Galaxy S3

X-Apple

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Howdy,
New to the group and joined while looking for resolution to SD card issues. FYI...I had a 45min chat session with Samsung last night and the finally asked what kind of card I was using. I told them it was a 16GB class 10. They resonded back that I had to use class 2 or 4. Just curious, you guys have cards above class 4? I plugged in an OLD micro sd I had and it is working fine...what happened to State-of-the-Art technology?? I'm still looking for a better answer.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
im usin class 10. did samsung not care who the SD was made by.
id have thought theyd insist that we use samsung ones.
if a phone like the s3 cant handle high speed micro sd then its their problem and they should replace any damaged ones

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Punkxasxfuk

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Good job Jervangil. Very thorough.This is indeed the correct answer to this question. There maybe issues with heat while charging. But it is more likely user error. These cards are highly susceptible to static discharge. Brand, size, speed, usage, none of that matters if they are not proper cared for. Just uninstalling and re-installing them into a computer, adapter or cell can release a static discharge that fries the internal micro circuits. I cringe when I see people hanging on to them by the tips. I do indeed use a anti-static strap when installing them. And even that is not 100% foul proof. I have had a 8 gig for 3 years now. I have a 2 gig that I have had for 4 years. I have a 1 gig that fried within weeks. That one was indeed made on a Friday close to quitting time.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
tbh i think there is a problem with the s3 in particular though.
ive read a lot of cases now

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Almost a month in with my Patriot Class 10 32GB and still holding strong. $40 at the local store. Another option to consider.

paradox60660

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Same story here, my microSD HC SanDisk Ultra 32GB card just fried up in my Samsung Galaxy S3 (bought card on eBay).
Card was installed in my phone for around three months. I had signs that there is something wrong with card for one month before it happened.
Phone was showing message "preparing SD card" every time I woke up the phone, but card was continue to working so I didn't bother to backup.
Now phone do not recognize the card and my PC doesn't as well.
There is no way I could damage the card with static charge as Punkxasxfuk reckon because I was not touching it apart from the moment when I installed it in my phone three months ago.
Now I'm waiting for new 32GB MicroSD from Samsung (bought on eBay too). I'll post in few months to let you know guys how it works
After reading all these posts I think must be Samsung Galaxy s3 issue.
Regards
View attachment 42290

I had almost the exact same thing happen to my 64gb card. Went to sandisk.com and found a number to call. Long story short is I returned the faulty card via RMA and a replacement was received less then 10 days later. Original purchased from Amazon but was outside of return window.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
how long is the return window for Amazon man?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
thanx mate.
so if i end up having to return mine to SanDisk.. what kind of proof of purchase would i need? i didnt keep the paper that came with it from Amazon

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to log into Amazon and get a proof of purchase? or a credit card/paypal or whatever form of payment receipt.

quiltsavvy

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I have a 2 week old GalaxieS3 bought a card from verizon. Had several pictures on it. Got an error message that said sd card unmounted improperly. I didn't try to unmount it. There are no pictures or music on it. Seems if so many people are having problems it isn't "a bad card". Please give us a fix for this. We pay to much for all this to have problems like this!!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
trouble is, samsung wont be reading this lol.
AC should have a means to start petitions that can be sent to a manufacturer.
we are a BIG site.

yeah we can get a replacement from the card maker but what about our content?
p.s, sync to picassa, dropbox or google+ to avoid losing pics ;)

Dubg

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm the original poster to this thread. My second sd card just fried tonight. No warning signs. I was filming my daughter at a birthday party and I suddenly got a message that the sd card was damaged. The phone then tried to mount the card but couldn't. I've been unable to retrieve anything from the card. VERY FRUSTRATED. Yes I should be able to get the card replaced and reload the items that I synced previously, but some files weren't synced and are gone forever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
thats sad mate :(
by all rights, samsung should replace the card with a samsung one that they can guarantee will work!
if their sd slot cant accept a universal sd then they should have made a triangle slot!
not happy with samsung but how do we organise our people power to do something?? :banghead:

pvdiggel

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Another victim here. Bought a Dane-Elec 32gb class 4 card a few weeks ago from the Saturn webshop. Don't know how and when it happened, but didn't have access to the card all of a sudden. I'm glad most of the pictures and video of my newborn kid where auto-uploaded to G+! Would have gone mad if I'd lost all the baby pictures!

I guess I understand now why Google doens't put SD card slots into their Nexus devices... :-\

Anyone heard anything about a solution yet?

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
To those who have had problems with sd cards, are you formatting them before you insert them or are you formatting them in the phone? No matter where you purchase, don't go for the cheapies! I've only ever used SanDisk or Samsung cards, and I've never had a problem. You also may want to format your 32 and 64 GB cards to FAT32 before inserting them. It only takes a few seconds. I recently replaced a 16 GB card with a 64 GB SanDisk, formatted it to FAT32, and it's working great.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
least we know now its not just class 10 the s3 hates.
and it doesnt seem to care about quality since its mostly sandisk being toasted..

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
This thread is making me very nervous as I have many important and indispensable files on the SD card in my S3 right now... I suppose the solution is to transfer to PC frequently and hope for the best.

I imagine with how THIN the phone is, with such POWERFUL components, everything must be running hot and very close together. Has anyone actually tested the internal temp of the S3 after a rigorous session of use?

I remember there is a file-manager like app in the market that could read current phone temps somewhat accurately...

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Android Central Forums

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I have a 2 week old GalaxieS3 bought a card from verizon. Had several pictures on it. Got an error message that said sd card unmounted improperly. I didn't try to unmount it. There are no pictures or music on it. Seems if so many people are having problems it isn't "a bad card". Please give us a fix for this. We pay to much for all this to have problems like this!!
I haven't had a problem with my SanDisk Ultra 32GB - Class 10, but I also haven't stored much on it yet. Although something weird happened when I first put it in, the day the phone arrived via FedEx; I put the SIM card in, then the SD card?and it looked like it was all the way in, then the battery, but after I snapped the phones back, back on and booted the phone, I got a notification that the external SD card was 'unmounted'. I then took the phones back off; couldn't quite grab the SD card and didn't have any tweezers handy, so I just pushed it in (against the spring tension) a few more times?and not knowing what to do next?snapped the phones back, back on; weird thing was that it never clicked into place or anything, like on the AT&T tutorial video, but nonetheless it's been working fine as far as I can tell.
So I wonder if in some cases, it's just the GS3's sensor(s) that are malfunctioning? And maybe the SD card isn't really 'fried' and/or 'unmounted', etc.?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair