SD card fried in new Galaxy S3

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I had an SDHC card go bad. Replaced it with an SDXC 64g card. So far, all is well. I did not format it, and leave it in the phone.

--Tapatalk 2 on SGS3.

Gregory J Smith

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys - I realise this thread is a few months old. However I found it after trashing 2 x 64GB SD cards in my new Samsung Galaxy S3 4G (i9305) after a couple of days. Thanks Babelfish for getting the Sandisk technical report. In my mind it points to a poor power supply as the "smoking gun". In my case, the cards failed during recharging on the integrated USB port I have in a bluetooth speaker (brand is "Mutant"). I measured the power supply with an oscilloscope and found some disturbing peaks, and also a significant common mode voltage down to ground (i.e. it's 5V between positive and negative, but both lines had an AC voltage superimposed to ground. This is probably leakage current from some sort of RFI/EMI filter poorly designed in the power supply itself. It's reasonable that activity to the card with a crappy and noisy supply will end up corrupting something.

So far I've returned to just using the original Samsung power supply / charger and so far (1 week) no issues. I've also junked the speaker power supply and replaced it with something a bit better. I haven't tried charging the Samsung Galaxy on this new power supply yet - I just wanted to confirm firstly that the issue goes away using the standard charger.

So my suggestions at the moment are :
A. Only use the original Samsung charger, or another well known and proven brand.
B. Be careful what you put on the SD card. Try to avoid applications that do lots of read writes (which will only increase the risk of a corruption). In my case, I've just got music on the card and everything else on board.

Cheers : Greg Smith

myIphone4s

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
You said about using a proven brand charger. What about apple? I am talking about there wall ext? not the adapter.

Its for the ipad but works well with my iphone. I really dont want to use ext? cords

Thanks

Edit i plan on getting a 16gb one for music and use my 2gb old school kind for pics i dont take that much.

Or just use the 16gb for all of them? I might have missed it in a post but its hard trying to read things on my 3.5" screen

mehlord

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I can say 100% that on my I535, the 32gb Sandisk fried, but it was not connected to a charger at the time. In addition, it was never plugged into anything other than the charger that came with the Galaxy S3.

I put a new card in almost 2 months ago, same card, just this time I formatted before using in the phone. So far, no problems. *knocks on wood.

myIphone4s

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Based on my reading from the site i should be fine with a 8class 16gb mirco sd?
Some stats from my iphone which i hope to transfer to the S3 once here
Music 3.8gb
Photos 768mb
Viedos 2gb

For the charger its a apple 10w power adapter lengh is about 6ft (it had saved me more then once already). I know stick with the normal charger. But will this hurt the phone?. The only charger that let me down was apple's i am on my 5th one (apple) and my truck(chager second one non apple) shorted out at the tip of the charger where it plugs in the phone. Is this a issue with the S3's. i ask this because of that post about using chargers. Stock and proven name brand

Thank yall for the advice

sgs3fan

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Similar story here, I had a Transcend microSD 32GB card fried up in my Samsung Galaxy S3 (bought card in Reliance Digital along with SGS3).
I used the card for about three months. I too had signs that there is something wrong with card for one month before it happened.
Phone was showing message "preparing SD card" every time I woke up the phone, but card was working
Then suddenly it stopped working.
There is no way I could damage the card with static charge as the card was inside the phone when the problem actually occured
When I took it to Reliance Digital, the technician checked the card by inserting it into a USB drive in a computer and confirmed it is dead. It showed zero bytes free.
I went to a Transcend service center for a replacement. The replacements have to come from Taiwan to India, so they asked me to wait for 2 months !!
I have all the data backed up and also have a 2 GB card - so am now waiting for a replacement from Transcend.
Looking at so many posts, I guess Samsung must seriously consider changing the microSD card location in the phone
Thanks

MIRACULIX

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
With a Sandisk Ultra 32GB micro SD in my Samsung S3 no problems at all since nearly 8 months.
2 weeks ago problems started, card is unreadable in the phone. When un-mounting card it can be read in my computer. At time the problems started I had bought and installed new software (VIRE launcher). After disabling this software (without de-installation) and re-mounting SD card all back to normal. After 2x repeating always same behaviour; with new software active card appears empty, new software de-activated and SC card un-mounted and re-mounted back to normal. (Maybe de-mounting not necessary, but switching of sufficient?) Strange, but good to know...

grunkel

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I installed Dropbox and it defaulted to mirroring all my pictures to my dropbox. Unfortunately I thought that was a waste of bandwidth and I turned it off. Now a bunch of my pics in the Gallery are corrupted and I'm wishing I had the dropbox copies!

MIRACULIX

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
My fried SD card problem starts resolving. Corresponding with very competent people at SanDisk they recognized this failure as a card problem and promised to eventually replace the faulty card after they could check it. Very quick replies from those people. When testing my S3 with a micro SD from a different manufacturer the problem did not return... Now I am waiting for the replacement.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
My fried SD card problem starts resolving. Corresponding with very competent people at SanDisk they recognized this failure as a card problem and promised to eventually replace the faulty card after they could check it. Very quick replies from those people.
They were very helpful for me also.

--Tapatalk on SGS3.

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Samething with me. S4 bought 3 weeks ago, and yesterday the SD card fried. I don't think that is an isolated problem. Many people are complaining about the same thing. Samsung should answer this issue.

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
When It happended, I had just copied 2 mp3 files on it from my pc connected as usb device. I listened the 2 files. I filmed something for 2 minutes and 1 hour after I notice the problem. Tried to reboot the phone, nothing changed, tried to read the card trought usb adapter on my PC. Unable to read.