I know everyone loves Titanium Backup and it's supposed to be great. It requires, root, however. I definitely plan on rooting but 2 weeks into my first Android device I'm not there yet.

I find it strange that it seems the only comprehensive backup requires root. I know Google syncs my contacts/calendar/etc. I know that SOME apps have backup/restore functionality built in - but certainly not all, or even most apps.

Coming from BlackBerry...the stock functionality of BB Desktop Manager was to backup your entire phone - including app/system settings and every other little detail. I'm kind of shocked Android does not have the same sort of functionality, stock.

Anyone have any suggestions or insight into this? Thanks.
    07-14-2012 07:14 PM
    If you want to do a true back up, one where you can do a factory reset and reinstall everything exactly as it was then yes, you need root. Not sure why, but that is it in a nutshell

From my XxX rated Rezound
    07-14-2012 07:31 PM
    Actually there is an option for doing a backup in ICS without root access. See this thread below....

[BETA] Backup Wonder Machine (no root, ICS only)
    jeffreii likes this.
    07-14-2012 10:13 PM
    Actually there is an option for doing a backup in ICS without root access. See this thread below....

[BETA] Backup Wonder Machine (no root, ICS only)
    That thread is 5 months old with only 29 posts despite seeming so promising. Some people seem to have issues but Jerry never replied to anyone with any support.

I'm curious about this:

"It's simply a front end for the new backup method built into Ice Cream Sandwich"

If there's a new backup method in ICS...when does Google plan to create a GUI for it themselves? lol
    07-14-2012 10:31 PM
    I'm interested in this too... No reason for me to root yet but this back il thing

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2
    07-14-2012 10:36 PM
    Yes I know some people had problems using the app but I tested for Jerry and never had a problem.

It's worth a shot.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums
    07-14-2012 11:23 PM
    i just had great luck with "helium" (used to be carbon). It backs up the app and game info for what is selected. I backed it up internally, then got on the PC and copied that file info to a new phone. And then on the new phone did a restore. worked great. kinda of reminds me of sideloading on a blackberry (phone goes into developer mode)
    09-12-2013 10:43 AM
    For future reference Helium: http://market.android.com/details?id...ikdutta.backup also allows you to backup to/restore from the cloud (Google Drive, Dropbox?, etc.) so that you don't even have to mess with copying the file off the SDCard. If I remember correctly that functionality requires Helium Premium: http://market.android.com/details?id...backup.license though, so your solution is certainly cheaper.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2
    09-12-2013 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD