Sd card unexpectedly removed.. Anyone else?

tommykat

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Same issue, but fixed it. All I did was remove the battery, sd card, and sim for about 15min. Then reinserted everything and booted back up. All works again. Picture and videos on SD card reappeared.

ardhill

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a HTC Desire HD

The other day I got an unexpected error message on my phone that the SD card wasn't recognised or wrong file system. I tried it in my computer and it didn't recogise it either. Interestingly, this was after I moved a bunch of images from the phone to Dropbox.

I then bought a new card - a Class 10 32GB Micro SD. I started installing apps, but had the "SD Card Unexpectedly Removed" error message again and again. So, I did a factor re-set and erased the SD card. The phone was bare and card formatted by the phone, I started to add apps and my details. As soon as tried installing a large app (on the phone) I got the "SD Card Unexpectedly Removed" error??? This happened a couple of times before I gave up.

Other apps installed just fine, but this was a pretty big Sat Nav app. Then I tried moving apps to my card. Tiny apps moved just fine, bigger (normal sized) apps give me this error again.

It looks like a problem moving big lumps of data on my phone.

I have had this phone for ages without any problems really, until now.

ardhill

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a new SD Card - a Samsung Ultra. Put it in my phone and everything appears to be working just fine now. I did this after reading more people having problems online, and the common denominator appeared to be one particular make of SD Card, 32GB, class 10. So, I bought a Samsung card, which I thought may be good quality, and wasn't the make that kept being mentioned.

MichaelCherry

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
my phone did the same thing, i had to replace the sd card, working ok so far, beside all the dropped calls signal issue but they are fixing it now,,, we shall see, :D

1kulsol

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I've got a new S4 with a new SanDisk 64gb card. Constant 'SD card removed' messages .. Samsung definitely needs to resolve this issue!!

CCSupport

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
+1 for the issue! I am having this issue with two different MicroSD cards on a brand new S4 & Tab 2 10.1 !!! Here's the shocker...I have two MicroSD Cards, a 32GB SanDisk Ultra & a 16GB Class 10 Samsung....when using either of the cards in the S4 or Tab I constantly get the 'SD Card Removed Unexpectedly'....HOWEVER I also have an old S2 and BOTH cards work perfectly!! That sums up this issue!

I have formatted both cards using the Format SD Card on the phones/Tab and also formatted using a Win7 PC with FAT & exFAT....PLUS I have formatted on a Linux box just in case....guess what...no difference at all. All works well with the bloody old S2 but not on my newly purchased Samsung goods :mad:

Ludicrous!

**EDIT**
I have just noticed that most posters on this thread have only one or two posts to their name, like me....that says a lot that this issue is effecting MANY new users!!

Alexmxperia

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I had this same problem when I had my s3 the reason is because it's a used card for some reason it doesn't like them I never tried to format it though which would probably have helped.

Posted via Android Central App

CCSupport

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Sadly the not being a new card doesn't stack up as one of my cards came straight out of the packaging into the phone :-X I have since bench-tested both cards using a number of difference devices and software and both have come out normal...smells more like a hardware or OS fault to me.

CSIgirl30

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi I have a straight talk phone and had the same problem the phone would unmount, remount, say the SD card is damaged. It would reboot at random times so this might help you. I did my research and found that other people were having the same problems and it is because the some phones are not equip to handle the newer high speed cards. What's crazy is that the card that came with the phone was the same way it is not able to handle a lot of apps so when you load a certain amount on your phone it overloads it and the phone starts dropping the apps. So the solution is to get an SD card that is either a class 2 or 4 and install it, they have them at walmart for less than ten dollars. I did this and it fixed my problem hope it helps you also. I think its crazy that they do not tell you this with your phone.

Svein Berg

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue with S4 and a 64 GB Sandisk card. I also have a 32 GB Sandisk card that works fine, so I figured it was an issue with the 64 GB card. I returned it to Sandisk and received a new 64 GB replacement today, but after putting it in the phone I immediately got the "SD Card unexpectedly removed" error. So maybe this is an issue with 64 GB cards in general? My old S2 would read the card, but then the file system would corrupt after some use.

Phrayzur

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I've got an AT&T SIII. I had it rooted within 10 mins of leaving the strore. I've run all sorts of different SD cards, roms, apps, tweaked the cpu, etc. I've never had this problem until about 2 weeks ago. My 32GB class 10 Lexan (lexar, lexor, something) card failed. Couldn't get it to work on the phone, PC, nuthin. So I grabbed another one. It worked fine for a bit but then started giving me the "SD card removed" error but it would read on the computer and sometimes in the phone. After I formatted an class 10 Patriot 64GB SD card with the utility you get from (whatever the professional body for SD cards is) as SDXC I put it in and it wouldn't recognize it. It did work in the computer I changed it to fat32 and it would recognize it but it wouldn't let me write to it. I put my good(ish) newer 32GB card back in and it's still working the same, reads and writes, but I keep getting the same error.

I don't know if it might be connected in any way, but I'll mention it because I've seen people sometimes mentioning both but not as connected... I'm also have a hell of a time with my WiFi. It might be Cyanogenmod 10.1.2, but I figured I'd throw it out there...

Ahmed Al Samraie

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem too on my htc desire hd. I changed the SD slot 2 times in the htc company in Lebanon and its work for 2 days and 1 day only and then get the same error Unexpected sd card unmount I did many things but no solv plz. anyone know how?

Ronen Ashurov

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung 64gb sdxc card and have the same problem so no it doesn't matter what brand the sd card is. And since its sdxc and not sdhc I need a more expensive reader to try the format sd card fix on pc I've read about. This has totally changed my attitude towards my s3. Is it just samsung phones or is this happening on all android phones?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Is it just samsung phones or is this happening on all android phones?
I haven't been reading any of the other device forums since I got my S3 almost a year-and-a-half ago, but I don't remember anything like this on my HTC Thunderbolt.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the third SD card with my SIII.
SO tired of the: "SD card unexpectedly removed/Preparing SD card" issue... progressing to: 'SD card blank/Unsupported file system'.
At which point the card is completely corrupt.

Doing a LOT of searching for definitive answers I have found posts going all the way back to AOSP forums in 2009.
Issue 2500 - android - SD card corruption - Android Open Source Project - Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

I think this is -and has always been- an Android issue and not confined to any one device/manufacturer of hardware.
Tablets, phones, various brands of cards, various releases of the OS,
The -one- common denominator seems to be Android.

I have had SD cards in cameras and Windows netbooks for years that receive much more abuse than my phone.
Not one has ever failed.

igottanuff

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes, i have been having this issue for the past two weeks, now its becoming a big problem. My phone cuts off and restarts by itself. I've had the same sd card for the past year. Never had this problem until I updated my phone to the newest version. This sucks!!!! HELP!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ricardo Manayay

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I had that problem on my Galaxy S3, the SD card was removed unexpectedly by itself; even when I tried to read it in the computer, it was removed sometimes, for example when I tried to format it, or just at a random time.
SOLUTION: What I did to solve it, is first: Open the Execute window on Windows and run the command: chkdsk f: /f (f: is the letter assigned to the SD memory), then: Format the SD memory with FAT32, with the quick format option unchecked (I tried several times to do this because sometimes the memory was removed in the middle of the process); and finally I did a hard reset to my S3. After all those steps, I realized that the SD card was perfectly read by the computer, it was not removed by itself when I used it; then I put it on my phone and I don't have that annoying problem now. I guessed somehow the Galaxy S3 corrupted the SD card, that was why the SD memory behaved similarly on my computer.
That worked for me, I hope I can help someone with this issue.