I picked up an S3 at Verizon last Friday and it's been freezing up ever since I go home from the store. It freezes when I'm just texting and have nothing else running. The soft reset won't work, so I have to do a battery pull and then it will freeze about 10 times in a row while restarting. I can't even use the case I got because I have to take the battery out so often.

I have about 12 apps installed and typically turn off data services when I'm at work and it still happens.

Is this something that has been happening to other people or should I just go in and exchange the phone? Does anyone have any experience with exchanging these things within a week of getting them. I find it ridiculous that I had to pay $40 to renew my contract with a smartphone and may have to pay another $35 restocking fee because Verizon sold me a lemon.

Thanks
    07-17-2012 08:34 PM
    Should NOT be happening. Do a factory reset. Sucks but that should fix you. If that doesn't fix it and it's been under 14 days since you got the phone Vzw will give you a new one for free. 35$ restocking fee is of you switch phones I believe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    07-17-2012 09:58 PM
    Should NOT be happening. Do a factory reset. Sucks but that should fix you. If that doesn't fix it and it's been under 14 days since you got the phone Vzw will give you a new one for free. 35$ restocking fee is of you switch phones I believe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    There will not be a restocking fee for a warranty swap. U have a factory warranty and vzw will swap u out. I did it with my nexus

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    07-18-2012 12:06 AM
    Cool, thanks. I did the reset the third day I had it, but there hasn't been any change. Was in a cab this morning looking something up in chrome and it froze and then froze on the startup screen a good 10 times in a row. I almost threw the phone out of the window while going up the FDR.
    07-18-2012 07:50 AM
    I picked up an S3 at Verizon last Friday and it's been freezing up ever since I go home from the store. It freezes when I'm just texting and have nothing else running. The soft reset won't work, so I have to do a battery pull and then it will freeze about 10 times in a row while restarting. I can't even use the case I got because I have to take the battery out so often.

I have about 12 apps installed and typically turn off data services when I'm at work and it still happens.

Is this something that has been happening to other people or should I just go in and exchange the phone? Does anyone have any experience with exchanging these things within a week of getting them. I find it ridiculous that I had to pay $40 to renew my contract with a smartphone and may have to pay another $35 restocking fee because Verizon sold me a lemon.

Thanks
    I'm experiencing the same issue. My GS3 froze on me 4 times yesterday alone, requiring a battery pull each time. I'm with AT&T and I thought it might be an issue because I haven't done the software update. I've seen a few more users having the same issue. I don't want to have to swap it for another one, but if that's what it takes, I will.
    07-18-2012 07:58 AM
    I would definitely take the phone back. I haven't had a single freeze on my Verizon S3 and I'm on my 14th day. Never had to do a battery pull, never even had an app become unresponsive and I consider myself to be a pretty heavy user.
    07-18-2012 08:05 AM
    I think the North American versions of the GS3 have some bugs that clearly should have been worked out before release.

My phone will freeze for around 10 seconds or so - happens once or twice a day. Hasn't rebooted, but is still very frustrating. I've not tracked it down to any specific app. And my Galaxy Nexus with the exact same set of apps installed (though obviously not the same OS build) doesn't have this behavior.

That, plus the documented LED bug (whereby 3rd party apps cannot control the LED flashing or colors properly), are driving me a bit crazy.

While I'm loving the (much better) battery life of the GS3 compared to my Nexus, and the significantly better screen and camera, I'm tempted to return the GS3 and learn to deal with the Nexus's shortcomings (or put up with the gigantic 4300mAh extended batteries and their weight).
    07-18-2012 08:07 AM
    It would be slightly more bearable if the soft reset worked, but I can't even use that. I'm going to try to head over to VZW during lunch today and get a new one.
    07-18-2012 08:19 AM
    Try removing the apps you installed and seeing if it makes a difference. Then add them back one by one.
    07-18-2012 08:23 AM
    Wierd. I would exchange it. I have a Verizon version and have had zero freezing issues

Tapatalk'd from my Galaxy S3
    07-18-2012 08:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD