03-13-2013 05:48 PM
48 12
tools
    I don't think that's possible (at the moment). This almost sounds like the screen lock would have to be a third party developed app built from the ground up to be used with NFC tags.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Doh, guess that would have been too easy of a security hack. I'm sure I can find other things to do.
    07-25-2012 07:14 AM
    So i can buy any blank NFC and just use an app to set the actions?
    07-25-2012 08:04 AM
    with NFC task launcher you can also setup a tag that switches between different profiles. So you can use the same tag to e.g. setup and disable your car settings.

How did you actually setup the tag to launch android central forums within your browser?

kr Andrew
    It launches the Android Central Forums app from the Play Store although there is a URL tag feature I've yet to use which will more than likely open a webpage when tapped with your default browser.

07-25-2012 02:57 PM
    So i can buy any blank NFC and just use an app to set the actions?
    I wouldn't definitely say 'yes', the generic tags I bought were recommended to me via the XDA boards. The link is in the video description. $5.74 for 5 tags shipping included is a rather great price, given the Samsung branded TecTiles cost $25 and up for 5(?) .

07-25-2012 03:00 PM
    im guessin the tags just have a simple chip with a unique i.d. and youre not actualy programming the tag but tellin the phone what u want it to do when it detects that i.d.?
    From my understanding a tag can be used on more than one device as long as it's NFC compatible. A friend of mine posted an image on Instagram (I'll try and find it) of a promo cut out for some rap album in an electronics store that said 'Place NFC compatible device here to download the single for free!'

07-25-2012 03:10 PM
    im guessin the tags just have a simple chip with a unique i.d. and youre not actualy programming the tag but tellin the phone what u want it to do when it detects that i.d.?
    That's what I thought at first too but after looking into it a bit more it appears you really do program the tags. I don't know how security is handled, I wouldn't want my phone doing stuff from someone else's tags. Even innocent stuff like changing the volume or switching modes could be troublesome if you don't realize it happened. Not sure how that is handled.
    07-25-2012 03:53 PM
    I don't think there's any security for these tags yet, and you actually program the tag itself, not the device. Any device with NFC can read the tag and perform the action programmed. You can lock the specific tag, though, so that no one can randomly change the programming.

The video on Samsung's site shows a guy with a business card with a NFC tile on it. Tapping on the tile automatically loaded the contact information stored on the card to the users phone.
    07-25-2012 04:07 PM
    right thats actualy prety cool. i like the idea of what jaj said.. tapping the phone to download a tune
    07-27-2012 03:59 AM
    having a tag in ur gf's house that makes ur sms app lock and blacklists calls and txts from a certain other girl could be handy
    Already know where I would stick mine. She'd never find it lol.
    07-27-2012 10:11 AM
    Already know where I would stick mine. She'd never find it lol.
    The Oven?
    07-27-2012 10:23 AM
    The Oven?
    lmao nah the place where she "loses" my socks
    07-27-2012 10:36 AM
    I spotted this and thought they were some good common uses for these tags.
    http://t.co/hrQnpbYQ
    And I haven't read too much into this but it could be useful for the screen off use of these tags.
    [MOD] NFC With the Screen Off - xda-developers
    As much as profiles and Tasker(awesome app) work, the tags provide a one step solution for those things Tasker cant do. I have yet to try them myself, but when they arrive in the mail, I will certainly be putting them to the test for various things I do everyday.
    07-27-2012 04:25 PM
    Samsung's are $15 for 5 but I only see them at AT&T.

07-28-2012 04:18 AM
    Samsung's are $15 for 5 but I only see them at AT&T.

These generic tags here are about $1 a piece and they work with the S3.
    The site also sells other NFC products like cards, key chains, and tokens, all for around a buck each.
    07-31-2012 12:25 PM
    What keyboard is that?
    07-31-2012 06:18 PM
    What keyboard is that?
    In the video? SwiftKey 3.

Sent from my rooted/stock Samsung Galaxy SIII using Android Central Forums
    07-31-2012 07:01 PM
    Thanks. I couldn't really tell. I'm using Swype. Love it. But it's ugly. Lol

Nice vid btw.
    07-31-2012 07:42 PM
    Just got my tags and playing around with them. Do have couple of questions.

Send text message. I see it opens message fills in to field, and message, but doesn't send do you have to manually send?

I use Waze in car for navigation, it opens it fine, but is there a tag to close it? It's a battery hog and don't want it running when I get to office.

My music player opens under the applications options, tho it doesn't play.

Thanks.
    08-01-2012 09:39 PM
    Just got my tags and playing around with them. Do have couple of questions.

Send text message. I see it opens message fills in to field, and message, but doesn't send do you have to manually send?

I use Waze in car for navigation, it opens it fine, but is there a tag to close it? It's a battery hog and don't want it running when I get to office.

My music player opens under the applications options, tho it doesn't play.

Thanks.
    You can program the tags to toggle between their settings. Lets say the tag you use to start Waze is used in your car, and let's say it also kicks on your Bluetooth & GPS, if you set it to work as a switch you should be able to tap the tag again while exiting the vehicle and it will undo all it's done (I'm making an assumption, I haven't tried this).

As far as Music/Texts go I don't think it will automatically play or send an SMS (my music doesn't automatically start, yet I prefer that so I can choose something to listen to).

I'm currently at work and don't have a tag with me. I'll play around with a blank one when I get a chance and follow up.

08-01-2012 10:56 PM
    Thanks.

I tried switch on waze it didn't work, and you don't need switch on bluetooth/GPS, as it has a enable/disable option.

Sending texts was going to be a big plus for me, and I car pool, and would of been nice just to send a automatic text "Leaving now, be there in 15.." when I use tag in car.

Music isn't a big issue, it's just that it plays in background while Waze is on screen. Cool if it just starts.
    So if I use in car, I have text screen to close, Waze screen to close, choose music, close music, open waze. Not as cool as it sound.
    08-02-2012 12:03 AM
    Alternate tags for alternate tasks?
    Personally they've worked great for me, but I'm definitely not tasking as much as you are. I'm basically just launching a couple toggles and adjusting my brightness lol.

08-02-2012 04:10 AM
    I did some tweaking, and it's all good. I downloaded Car Dock ultra, put all my tasks I wanted on front screen, so it is tagged to open bluetooth, turn off wiifi, and start CDA, and I can work with that.

I knew I just needed to play around with it. No app is smarter than me.. well.....
    08-02-2012 05:12 PM
    Someone told me he has got a NFC tag next to his PS3, it will send SMS messages to his friends to let them know he is online. With an unlimited plan not a bad idea so did this as well. Works great and no need to type a message to all of them all the time. Been busy with nfc tags for some time now. Recently bought some NTAG203's because the misses has got a Lumia and I read those work better. Got them from http://stores.ebay.nl/NFC-Tag-Store and were shipped pretty fast and at a reasonable price.

Once tried to use tasker with NFC but not yet figured it out completely. Need some more reading into that.
    03-13-2013 05:48 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD