Visit site
Thank you for making the video.

It helped me understand NFC tags.

I think I'll buy some and play around!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

technomom

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that's exactly what I use them for. I use the "Switch" option. When I get in my car, I turn on GPS, turn up brightness to full, and open Maps. As I leave, I turn off GPS and reset auto brightness.

QBert

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
So from the video you have to unlock the phone to use them? Hmm, not as exciting any more imho. I realize there are many many applications and uses for these, but I would use them mostly for switching on/off wifi and bluetooth and volume settings depending on location, but I can do that pretty easily already with a profiles app.

I am open to the idea of the tags, will just have to think about how I would personally use them beyond what I described.

Great video though! Thanks for putting that together!

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't have my tags yet but one I would like to make is one that I can tap in my car that sends a message saying "I'm driving" (or something similar). I know you can set up auto-responders but I think you have to remember to turn them on and off. It might be handy to just tap your phone somewhere when you get the message.

There are a lot of potential problems with this such as it not clearing the message so you keep getting the reminder despite having responded. And, of course, you have to unlock your phone.

Just an idea. I know we all approach tasks differently.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
having a tag in ur gf's house that makes ur sms app lock and blacklists calls and txts from a certain other girl could be handy ;)

cjb44

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Helpful video

If you need to unlock your phone first does that mean I can't use a NFC to enter my password? My firm locks my phone after 5 minutes so the most common task I have is typing in a password. If I could swipe my phone to enter the password, that would be great.

jac-3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Where to get NFC Tags

where can i buy them

I bought mine at tagstand.com.
They have a starter pack with a bunch of different tags.

they also have a NFC Tag Launcher that I use instead of the default. I'm still playing with the settings for using the tags though. The only thing I've done is gotten it to set an alarm. Haven't had time for anything else.

I also found a NFC Writer, but haven't even installed id.

Reactions: equishd

briankurtz79

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i keep thinkin one day someones gona think of an amazing use for NFC
There are plenty of great thoughts and uses right now. The problem is mainstreaming them. Think about tapping it outside your front door and it unlocks and the lights turn on. Unlocking or starting your car. You could do anything...

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Once a tag is programmed, can those operations be turned of while attached to the tag..?

I would think so, it more than likely wouldn't recycle the action until you've removed the device from the field than reintroduced it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Helpful video

If you need to unlock your phone first does that mean I can't use a NFC to enter my password? My firm locks my phone after 5 minutes so the most common task I have is typing in a password. If I could swipe my phone to enter the password, that would be great.

I don't think that's possible (at the moment). This almost sounds like the screen lock would have to be a third party developed app built from the ground up to be used with NFC tags.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae