[HOW-TO] Use NFC Tags With Samsung Galaxy SIII

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
There are plenty of great thoughts and uses right now. The problem is mainstreaming them. Think about tapping it outside your front door and it unlocks and the lights turn on. Unlocking or starting your car. You could do anything...

aye u already get kits to unlock + start cars with phone but know what u mean man :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
im guessin the tags just have a simple chip with a unique i.d. and youre not actualy programming the tag but tellin the phone what u want it to do when it detects that i.d.?

Ichwardort

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
with NFC task launcher you can also setup a tag that switches between different profiles. So you can use the same tag to e.g. setup and disable your car settings.:)

How did you actually setup the tag to launch android central forums within your browser? :confused:

kr Andrew

cjb44

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO] Use NFC Tags With Samsung Galaxy S3

I don't think that's possible (at the moment). This almost sounds like the screen lock would have to be a third party developed app built from the ground up to be used with NFC tags.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Doh, guess that would have been too easy of a security hack. I'm sure I can find other things to do.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
with NFC task launcher you can also setup a tag that switches between different profiles. So you can use the same tag to e.g. setup and disable your car settings.:)

How did you actually setup the tag to launch android central forums within your browser? :confused:

kr Andrew

It launches the Android Central Forums app from the Play Store ;) although there is a URL tag feature I've yet to use which will more than likely open a webpage when tapped with your default browser.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
So i can buy any blank NFC and just use an app to set the actions?

I wouldn't definitely say 'yes', the generic tags I bought were recommended to me via the XDA boards. The link is in the video description. $5.74 for 5 tags shipping included is a rather great price, given the Samsung branded TecTiles cost $25 and up for 5(?) .

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
im guessin the tags just have a simple chip with a unique i.d. and youre not actualy programming the tag but tellin the phone what u want it to do when it detects that i.d.?

From my understanding a tag can be used on more than one device as long as it's NFC compatible. A friend of mine posted an image on Instagram (I'll try and find it) of a promo cut out for some rap album in an electronics store that said 'Place NFC compatible device here to download the single for free!'

crabbz

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

That's what I thought at first too but after looking into it a bit more it appears you really do program the tags. I don't know how security is handled, I wouldn't want my phone doing stuff from someone else's tags. Even innocent stuff like changing the volume or switching modes could be troublesome if you don't realize it happened. Not sure how that is handled.

dames117

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site

I don't think there's any security for these tags yet, and you actually program the tag itself, not the device. Any device with NFC can read the tag and perform the action programmed. You can lock the specific tag, though, so that no one can randomly change the programming.

The video on Samsung's site shows a guy with a business card with a NFC tile on it. Tapping on the tile automatically loaded the contact information stored on the card to the users phone.

Bill Dempsey

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I spotted this and thought they were some good common uses for these tags.
https://t.co/hrQnpbYQ
And I haven't read too much into this but it could be useful for the screen off use of these tags.
[MOD] NFC With the Screen Off - xda-developers
As much as profiles and Tasker(awesome app) work, the tags provide a one step solution for those things Tasker cant do. I have yet to try them myself, but when they arrive in the mail, I will certainly be putting them to the test for various things I do everyday.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173