GS3 on StraightTalk

4walk

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I want to know whether GS3 will work with StraightTalk. From what I understand it must be GSM and unlocked. Since GS3 is available in ATT I guess there is a GSM version. Does Unlocked mean rooted? If yes, can GS3 be rooted. If yes, would a rooted GSM GS3 work with StraightTalk?

Thanks...

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Either the AT&T or T-Mobile versions will work. You can order a SIM compatible with phones for either carrier from Straight Talk's website. The last time I checked, they didn't offer TMO micro SIM cards, but you can cut the mini SIM down to size and it will work fine in a phone that uses micro SIMs (like the SGS III).

Sent from my Jelly Bean-equipped Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: 4walk

4walk

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a lot, I did learn a thing or two from the replies, I appreciate them all.

Here is where I am right now, I did some back of the envelope calculations. We are three in my family, and live in an area where only Verizon offers good coverage. I am right now on Sprint and it sicks, big time.

Between Verizon and StraightTalk, over a 2 year period, for the three of us assuming 6GB+3 smart phones plan of Verizon and a three smart phone month-to-month StraigtTalk, here is what I am seeing:

StraightTalk -- about $500 cheaper over 2 years, no contract, HSPA+

Verizon -- pay 500/12= $21 per month more and get LTE coverage for all three

With payback period of about 18 months and only $500 savings over 2 years for StraightTalk over Verizon LTE, Verizon seems a better option even with locking in a 2 year contract, after all it will take 18 months for me to recover the cost of full price for the phones.

Unless I am missing something, like overestimating the benefit of LTE over HSPA+, or something else.

Am I thinking straight? Any insights?

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
My buddy bought an at&t gs3 and everything works fine. Just be sure you tell them what phone you have when you order the sim card and if the settings for the apn that come with the card don't work, just call them up and they will talk you through it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Will the service be better with an att Sim or straight talk sim or does it matter?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

nelonez

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Will the service be better with an att Sim or straight talk sim or does it matter?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

If u have an AT&T S3 then get the AT&T SIM but iu have the international version get the straight talk SIM...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
We used the straight Talk sim. Everything works including mms. The speed test app produces no numbers during a test, but using the stock browser on the speakeasy.net website produced 8 mbits/s

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

XKxRome0ox

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
serious question
why bother getting a currently top of the line phone like the s3 at full retail just to use it in limited mode on HSPA+ network?
if you are so concerned with saving money, get something like the galaxy s2 skyrocket used
they are bargains now since the s3 came out and they are still great phones

Kromander

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
You can find brand new unlocked GS3s well below Retail... Around $450-550, that's only 100 to 200 bucks more than the GS2 if purchased from ST, not too bad a deal if you ask me.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
serious question
why bother getting a currently top of the line phone like the s3 at full retail just to use it in limited mode on HSPA+ network?
if you are so concerned with saving money, get something like the galaxy s2 skyrocket used
they are bargains now since the s3 came out and they are still great phones

for me, because where i live, 4g hasnt been switched on yet and hspa+ is fast enough for browsing/streaming... only time id notice 4g is when down/uploading large files... oh yeah and my s3 doesnt have a 4g antenna but is fastest phone around other than note2 :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

kellsarah

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to figure out how well the T-Mo version will work on straight talk. I just got an SIII for free after MIR from T-mobile over the weekend. I've done the math, I would actually come out ahead if I pay the $200 ETF to T-Mo, and put the phone on straight talk (After the Mail in Rebate shows up of course). Our monthly plan on T-Mobile with my wife's employer discount would be $59.49+tax for 500/minutes, Unlimited messages, and 2GB full speed data.

Laurie Berry

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: verizon GS3 on StraightTalk

Im on a friend's verizon family plan with my galaxy s3. Just learned of straight talk's sim card plans. Cant find out if i can order sim for this s3 being it will be comming from a verizon plan? Im paying friend 100/mo for 3gb data, no available wifi in area.
So question 1 : can i bring this phone to straight talk?
2 : is straight talk's "unlimited everything" a true unlimited data? Or a 2gb/mo data pkg?
If i cannot carry the s3 to prepay, i have a simless adndriod from straight talk put away, ill just take it back out.
So question 4 : anybody think i could trade the s3 for an old ipad? Is that a reasonable offer?
Question 5: why wont verizon just let me take their own s3 over to prepay??
My main objective is to get off ofcthis friend's celll plan, and find truely unlimited data. I travel alot, and travel light - i do all of me internet on my cell phones. Reallly will appreciate all advice!!! :confused:

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
This is assuming three Galaxy S3 phones
Well the Straight Talk-$45/monthx3=$135/monthx24=$3420 over two years. Depending on how you obtain the phones that will be anywhere from $200x3-$500x3. So up to at max $3420+about $1600=$$5100 though you can do about $4000
Verizon $200/month for threex24=$4800+at least $480-$960 in taxes. So up to $5760...maybe more. Plus $200x3 for phones=$600
So total of $6370 for two years.
So savings from $1200-$2300 in a contract span. Plus you can miss a bill and no cancel fee

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: verizon GS3 on StraightTalk

1. As far as I am seeing i believe so because it's GSM, but not sure and I believe that would mean no 3G...let alone 4G.
2. No. It's about a 3GB cap, but they don't always penalize if you are lucky and they throttle you...even though sometimes at full speed you might still feel throttled.
3. Absolutely not. You S3 will treat you better and obey your orders. With that Ipad you are eating out of apples hands..if jailbroken you are eating out of the limited hands of the provider.
4.As far as I know you can use any Verizon Smart phone on their prepaid though I dislike how even on prepaid everyone wants to force you into data plans as the point of prepaid is to get only exactly as little or much as you want
And Only Sprint offers unlimited data and supposedly T-Mobiles 4G is unlimited. The rest are Unlimited* If enough people would act together and car I'm sure the companies could all be sued for false advertisement, but nobody does anything about it.
You know Verizon offers a 50GB plan and wants $375 for it? It's out of this world insane. Most of them dont even provide the internet...they just transfer it to you.

Monica Kennedy

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I am currently getting rid of my att services and going to straight talk. I see people are mentioning an AT&T micro sim card. Would the one I am currently using work? How do you do the switch?