Turn off startup sound?

rdsense

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
How do you turn off the jingle the GS3 plays during startup?

I like to turn off almost every sound my phone makes except for ringer/notifications/media and this is the only one I haven't been able to figure out.

Sent from my Gamecast

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Requires root and a modification to the boot animation.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

rdsense

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Silent Boot didn't work for me :(
Guess I just won't turn off my phone so I don't have to hear that annoying sound

Sent from my Gamecast

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
This is easy to do if your phone is rooted, and requires no modification to any boot animation or anything.

Open a root explorer, go to /system/media/audio/ui.

Rename the following two files as shown below (not mandatory for the names to match mine, they are just for example)

PowerOn.ogg -> PowerOn.ogg.disabled
PowerOff.ogg -> PowerOff.ogg.disabled

From here, you can also get rid of camera and other annoying sounds from the phones UI.

Hope this helps answer your question, but there is no non-root method that guarantees silence.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
This is easy to do if your phone is rooted, and requires no modification to any boot animation or anything.

Open a root explorer, go to /system/media/audio/ui.

Rename the following two files as shown below (not mandatory for the names to match mine, they are just for example)

PowerOn.ogg -> PowerOn.ogg.disabled
PowerOff.ogg -> PowerOff.ogg.disabled

From here, you can also get rid of camera and other annoying sounds from the phones UI.

Hope this helps answer your question, but there is no non-root method that guarantees silence.

other than my hi-tech method of covering the speaker with a thumb :p even a finger if you wana get more technical ;)

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

Not entirely true. Mute your phone before you turn it off or restart it, and you will not hear the sound on startup. It's not a permanent fix, but it does the trick if you remember to do it.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Not entirely true. Mute your phone before you turn it off or restart it, and you will not hear the sound on startup. It's not a permanent fix, but it does the trick if you remember to do it.

Yeah and I remember hearing about an app specifically for this purpose - it would mute your phone automatically before a reboot and then unmute once the phone is back up. Simply and uncomplicated but it would seem to work.

Too bad I forgot what the app was!

EDIT: Looks like a partial fix, without root, with "Silent Boot" app. As recommended in this thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii/190128-how-silence-boot-sounds.html

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
can i ask why amyone wants it silenced lol?

Because it's annoying, and people like to stare when your phone makes noise lol. And all the reasons KreepyKen listed...:p

Does turning the system volume all the way down help? If I do that on my E4GT, the boot sound doesn't play at startup. This didn't work on my old Optimus S though, and I don't have a SGS3, so if it doesn't work I'm sorry, just throwing it out there :)

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site

That is the point though. It makes you manually silence it every time and I believe it does not disable the power down sound. Also if you forget to unsilence it when you turn it back on you may miss stuff.

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Because it's annoying, and people like to stare when your phone makes noise lol. And all the reasons KreepyKen listed...:p

Does turning the system volume all the way down help? If I do that on my E4GT, the boot sound doesn't play at startup. This didn't work on my old Optimus S though, and I don't have a SGS3, so if it doesn't work I'm sorry, just throwing it out there :)

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

That is essentially what the Silent Boot app does. It mutes your phone before it shuts down and then unmutes it after it starts up.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
That is the point though. It makes you manually silence it every time and I believe it does not disable the power down sound. Also if you forget to unsilence it when you turn it back on you may miss stuff.

If you mute the phone, you will not hear either the shutdown or startup sounds. That's why they call it "mute."

I keep my phone on mute around 75% of the time, and I don't hear either sound.

The OP asked for suggestions, and in an attempt to be helpful, I offered what works for me. If you have memory problems, find a different solution that works better for you. No need to thumb your nose at an idea because it is incompatible with your personal limitations.

Sent from my Pebble Blue SGS III.

534n

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
If you mute the phone, you will not hear either the shutdown or startup sounds. That's why they call it "mute."

I keep my phone on mute around 75% of the time, and I don't hear either sound.

The OP asked for suggestions, and in an attempt to be helpful, I offered what works for me. If you have memory problems, find a different solution that works better for you. No need to thumb your nose at an idea because it is incompatible with your personal limitations.

Sent from my Pebble Blue SGS III.

Oh come on man I wasn't even disagreeing with you, just pointing out an unmentioned fact lol. I am not even sure how what I said could be construed as thumbing my nose.