Turn off startup sound?

Wolverana

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is the same on GS3 but on the GS I just read, and altered, the system volume in the sounds setup. Go to your Setup and choose Sounds, then choose Volume and slide the system volume all the say down. All other sounds still work but that one is gone! Yaaaaay no more waking up in the middle of the dang night because my phone restarted on me!

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Go to your Setup and choose Sounds, then choose Volume and slide the system volume all the say down. All other sounds still work but that one is gone! Yaaaaay no more waking up in the middle of the dang night because my phone restarted on me!

I've confirmed this works. Question though, what system sounds would it mute outside of the touch sounds and all that? I have them off anyway, just want to make sure there's nothing else I would miss with that slider all the way down.

Rev.

Wolverana

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what all else other than the system sounds as you mentioned already for the touch pad stuff. I would imagine anything on the touch system would be turned off. I verified that the phone dial touch tones is off and I had that turned on temporarily a couple days ago so off is fine by me on that too. Verified that turning the phone off and on there is no sound also, but the Notifications and rings etc are all working fine.

Markow89

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
To disable the shut-down sound, be sure to also disable in the same directory:

PowerOff.wav -> PowerOff.wav.disabled

-- in addition to: --

PowerOn.ogg -> PowerOn.ogg.disabled
PowerOff.ogg -> PowerOff.ogg.disabled

AndreaBeagles

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Please help. I am new to this phone and certainly wouldn't say I was techy at all and have no idea what the references to 'rooting' are.

I want to turn off the start up sound on my Galaxy S III mini. I have found the silent boot app, have tried turning on mute before I switch off and have turned down the volume in settings/sound/system.......and it has made no difference.

Any ideas?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Just put ur phone on silent when you are booting, the sound will not play...then put the sound back on when your phone is up and running

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
For when you're starting up your phone during Church service? Or at a funeral? Or during a staff meeting? Or when your wife is trying to have a conversation with you?
Sooo, for all the times you turn it on, when you shouldn't be.
Just mute the darned thing, and don't turn it off.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
That is the point though. It makes you manually silence it every time and I believe it does not disable the power down sound. Also if you forget to unsilence it when you turn it back on you may miss stuff.
That's true any time you silence your phone. At church. At a funeral. At a staff meeting. While having a conversation with your wife. ;-)

Get Light Flow and set the silent mode notification. That is my favorite feature. Just be sure to include "vibrate mode" too.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

emoac

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
same here. I have root and granted superuser rights and I still can't rename. Gives me the options but after i rename it says "sorry, operation failed". I've tired moving it and deleting it with no success.

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I have an S3 mini and Silent reboot app does not work, but putting the phone on silent before you shut down does...looks like this is the only solution for now?