So I had to drive to a neer by city for work yesterday. My destination was about an hour and a half away, so it would be a 3 hour round trip.

I got in my car opened up my Maps app, pluged my GS3 into my car AUX, opened Spotify, and started driving (FYI i was playing previously downloaded playlists on Spotify, so i wasnt downloading any music)

On my way back to the office (around 2:00pm) my phone beeped at me to tell me I was at 15% battery life. I was like "Wait what? My phone ususaly lasts all day or at least until i get home from work around 5:30pm or 6:00pm (i wake up and unplug my phone around 7:30am)

Then i noticed that the maps app had been running in the background for two and a half hours, constantly updating my location. This drained my battery quick.

Just FYI if you are going to drive and use the Maps app be sure to turn it off in the background or you battery will be dead in around 3 hours.

Playing music probably wasnt helping eithor but remember, I was playing downloaded (offline) playlists so i WAS NOT downloading any music. (which would kill my battery also)
    07-27-2012 12:17 PM
    Plug it in the car charger. Navigation kills the battery. Did in this phone and my last phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Roboticz likes this.
    07-27-2012 01:05 PM
    Honestly, whenever I exit an app that uses GPS I simply look up at the notification bar - if the radar thingy is still flashing I either go back and properly exit the app (for example with ulysses speedometer) or go into application manager and kill the app. I've really never had this issue with Maps. If I back out of maps the app closes. It's only been with certain 3rd party apps that if I don't use their Exit feature on their menu that it will keep running and I see it immediately.

Rev.
    07-27-2012 03:03 PM
    Yes always kill my GPS and navigation when I'm done with it for that moment. It's a real battery killer for sure

~Jae, Tap'n on my White Samsung Galaxy S3~
    07-27-2012 03:42 PM
    Yes, it definitely killed my battery when I tested it for like 30 minutes. On my iPhone 4 the location based reminders were a joke because it destroyed the battery life.
    07-27-2012 04:53 PM
    So I had to drive to a neer by city for work yesterday. My destination was about an hour and a half away, so it would be a 3 hour round trip.

I got in my car opened up my Maps app, pluged my GS3 into my car AUX, opened Spotify, and started driving (FYI i was playing previously downloaded playlists on Spotify, so i wasnt downloading any music)

On my way back to the office (around 2:00pm) my phone beeped at me to tell me I was at 15% battery life. I was like "Wait what? My phone ususaly lasts all day or at least until i get home from work around 5:30pm or 6:00pm (i wake up and unplug my phone around 7:30am)

Then i noticed that the maps app had been running in the background for two and a half hours, constantly updating my location. This drained my battery quick.

Just FYI if you are going to drive and use the Maps app be sure to turn it off in the background or you battery will be dead in around 3 hours.

Playing music probably wasnt helping eithor but remember, I was playing downloaded (offline) playlists so i WAS NOT downloading any music. (which would kill my battery also)
    My understanding is that leaving the GPS itself on will not kill your battery. Leaving it on with a maps app running in the background is another story. I NEVER use my GPS unless I have the phone plugged into my car charger. Personally I'm surprised your phone battery lasted as long as it did.
    07-27-2012 05:11 PM
    My understanding is that leaving the GPS itself on will not kill your battery. Leaving it on with a maps app running in the background is another story. I NEVER use my GPS unless I have the phone plugged into my car charger. Personally I'm surprised your phone battery lasted as long as it did.
    This.

Any GPS that constantly polls your location rocks battery. This is for any phone.. It just takes to much to run constantly.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    07-27-2012 05:23 PM
    I have just updated the software to the latest OTA European update and it seems to have fixed the location update (weather app never used to pick up that I had changed location and would have to manually do it). However since the update it is killing my battery. I used to get through the day and have 40% left.

Anyone else noticed this?
    07-27-2012 05:38 PM
    If you don't really need your GPS I suggest turning it off. Google Maps will ask you to turn it back on automatically when you load it. It really helps with battery drain because lots of apps use GPS to get precise locations in the background...and honestly I don't find it necessary.

When I want to know the precise location (every time I use Google Maps) I will let GPS come on but otherwise I keep it off. Cell tower location is accurate enough for most purposes.
    07-27-2012 06:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD