[Help][50% SOLVED] LTE = random heavy battery drain aka "plummet"

meenas9

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Forgot to include my screenshot from last nite...
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356717766047.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356717766047.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 126
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356717776510.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356717776510.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 25

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Forgot to include my screenshot from last nite...

Not saying you don't have the plummet but based on your screenshots I don't see the typical behavior...I just see bad battery life. A "plummet" graph would have a period of relatively stable battery followed by a sudden and unexplained plummet.

If you don't see that, consider searching about the gsiff_daemon error and install something like GSAM Battery Monitor to closely track what's using your battery.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Not saying you don't have the plummet but based on your screenshots I don't see the typical behavior...I just see bad battery life. A "plummet" graph would have a period of relatively stable battery followed by a sudden and unexplained plummet.

If you don't see that, consider searching about the gsiff_daemon error and install something like GSAM Battery Monitor to closely track what's using your battery.

When I had the plummet it started immediately after unplugging the phone an my phone went from 100% to about 10% in the 8 hours my phone wasn't being used..while I was asleep.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung S3

meenas9

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
@kelly...thanks my new battery is on its way!! Ironically my existing battery has been behaving extremely well! Not sure if its because I removed my case yesterday and haven't put it back on. No more overheating either.
AT&T claims they have no other reports of such battery issues...Really?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Have any of you filed a network ticket? I did a couple of weeks ago, my LTE speed was less than 1 Mbps at home and over 12, 500 ft down the street. They found a problem but then told me I'm just in a bad area and it will be 3 at the most..makes no sense..all around me is normal. They said I need a micro cell like many on my street have..umm..nope, I am SMACK in the middle of the strongest LTE coverage.

SO..the other day, my phone automatically went to EDGE and I called, filed another ticket. Also called 611 last night, found a helpful lady, did some talking to her and "her idea" :) really mine, was her to look up my towers in my area and give me their status. Want to be ready for the Network Tech guys next week.

Found out interesting info. I am COVERED UP with towers, closest less than 1 mile from me. 1, 1 miles to the east, 1 1 mile to the west, 1 less than a mile to the south and 1, 3.9 miles to the north. This is not to mention the 15+ OTHER towers, within a 15 mile radius of me. The other interesting thing 2-3 of the close towers to me are degraded and at least HALF of the 15+ ones are degraded. With working towers I shouldn't need a micro cell, I should have perfect LTE signal, not 1 lousy bar.

I'm ready for network tech that is going to call me in a couple of days. If you know you are in good LTE coverage, call 611, chat them up after they file a network ticket for you, get the info..info is power. I've not found this info on any site, I can find towers, tells me who owns it, but AT&T leases many towers and does NOT tell me the status of the tower.

LJ2b2c

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Just read through the above thread. Thanks for all of the good info. I believe I am one of those with an impacted phone. Battery loss of 10%+ per hour with nothing going on and cell standby the only big user. Couldn't make it through the night with a full charge just sitting on my night-stand. Did all of the basic battery saving tips with little change. This problem overshadows all of those "turn this off/disable this" type of tips.

However, based on what I read. I turned my S3 off (had not done so since it was new about 6 weeks ago), took out the battery for about 10 minutes, replaces the battery and fully charged without turning back to on. Started my phone back up 17 hrs ago, and battery is at 79%! Have used it some but not much (mostly BT stream to my car radio).

This interum fix has worked for me to this point. I will watch for the plunge again, and will probably only do the power off/on next time.

Sorry, I don't have the skill set to offer any productive insight to a fix, but appreciate everyones help. The guys at the AT&T store acted like it was just me (that gets so old).

Thanks...

Update... made a few calls, lite use, still at 74% after 21:23. Hope I don't hit the battery usage cliff!
Update... 25 hrs and at 68%, some moderate use.
Update... 1d 15h and at 48%
Update... 2 days and at 41% (more than happy if this would continue)

The power off/on seems to have killed whatever was killing my battery. Will update if it returns.

After a week, no more problems. Usage appr 1% per hour with lite/moderate use. Not sure what caused or fixed my problem, but glad it's gone!

Last edited:

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

LJ2b2c

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I had read about a power setting that was suppose to generate bad numbers because the factor used for Cell Standby was 10 times what it was suppose to be. Hmmm, maybe that person who set the number knew something we don't???

Alex Franco

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I had read about a power setting that was suppose to generate bad numbers because the factor used for Cell Standby was 10 times what it was suppose to be. Hmmm, maybe that person who set the number knew something we don't???

That bug just related to the issue of reporting which services and applications used what percentage of the consumed battery power. Android was overreporting the percentage consumed by Cell Standby in relation to other services. It has nothing to do with TOTAL actual amount or % of battery consumed - which is the issue here.

LJ2b2c

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
That bug just related to the issue of reporting which services and applications used what percentage of the consumed battery power. Android was overreporting the percentage consumed by Cell Standby in relation to other services. It has nothing to do with TOTAL actual amount or % of battery consumed - which is the issue here.

It was a joke.....

(I'll try to do better next time!)

LJ2b2c

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Just read through the above thread. Thanks for all of the good info. I believe I am one of those with an impacted phone. Battery loss of 10%+ per hour with nothing going on and cell standby the only big user. Couldn't make it through the night with a full charge just sitting on my night-stand. Did all of the basic battery saving tips with little change. This problem overshadows all of those "turn this off/disable this" type of tips.

However, based on what I read. I turned my S3 off (had not done so since it was new about 6 weeks ago), took out the battery for about 10 minutes, replaces the battery and fully charged without turning back to on. Started my phone back up 17 hrs ago, and battery is at 79%! Have used it some but not much (mostly BT stream to my car radio).

This interum fix has worked for me to this point. I will watch for the plunge again, and will probably only do the power off/on next time.

Sorry, I don't have the skill set to offer any productive insight to a fix, but appreciate everyones help. The guys at the AT&T store acted like it was just me (that gets so old).

Thanks...

Update... made a few calls, lite use, still at 74% after 21:23. Hope I don't hit the battery usage cliff!
Update... 25 hrs and at 68%, some moderate use.
Update... 1d 15h and at 48%
Update... 2 days and at 41% (more than happy if this would continue)

The power off/on seems to have killed whatever was killing my battery. Will update if it returns.

After a week, no more problems. Usage appr 1% per hour with lite/moderate use. Not sure what caused or fixed my problem, but glad it's gone!

Just a quick follow-up... After doing the power-off/charge/power-on process described above, I have not seen the return of the plummet. I have now re-enabled most of the stuff I had disabled trying to reduce battery usage, and still do not have a problem. Battery now will last 48 hours even with fairly moderate to heavy use.

Good luck!

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick follow-up... After doing the power-off/charge/power-on process described above, I have not seen the return of the plummet. I have now re-enabled most of the stuff I had disabled trying to reduce battery usage, and still do not have a problem. Battery now will last 48 hours even with fairly moderate to heavy use.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info... I don't have this problem, but if I come across it, this will be helpful. :)

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

Good luck!

I have to wonder if they found the problem and fixed it. I haven't had the plummet since before Christmas. Before that, it was happening on a near-daily basis while at work. I got in the habit of restarting my phone every morning while walking from my car to my office and the plummet has not happened. I don't know if it's a result of my restarting or if something was fixed. It could very well have been something set wrong by the carriers or manufacture (i.e., some function "phoning home" to samsung or a carrier) that was finally tracked down and fixed.

Either way, it doesn't look like anyone is still complaining about it, so the problem may be over.

I'll try going a few days at work without restarting my phone in the morning to see if the problem returns.

meenas9

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I posted on this forum a few weeks ago. My issue has also gotten better recently. I've been rebooting more regularly. And I have also been clearing RAM...which works wonders!!

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I have to wonder if they found the problem and fixed it. I haven't had the plummet since before Christmas. Before that, it was happening on a near-daily basis while at work. I got in the habit of restarting my phone every morning while walking from my car to my office and the plummet has not happened. I don't know if it's a result of my restarting or if something was fixed. It could very well have been something set wrong by the carriers or manufacture (i.e., some function "phoning home" to samsung or a carrier) that was finally tracked down and fixed.

Either way, it doesn't look like anyone is still complaining about it, so the problem may be over.

I'll try going a few days at work without restarting my phone in the morning to see if the problem returns.

The problem is not gone. I still get the plummet if I don't reboot once (or sometimes twice) a day. First thing I do every morning is reboot. Despite this, I still get the plummet late afternoon/evening every 2-3 days. My phone alerts me if the battery is dropping and I reboot it again to stop it.

I'm used to it so it's hardly a problem anymore...just a bit of a pain in the butt I've learned to deal with effectively.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
The problem is not gone. I still get the plummet if I don't reboot once (or sometimes twice) a day. First thing I do every morning is reboot. Despite this, I still get the plummet late afternoon/evening every 2-3 days. My phone alerts me if the battery is dropping and I reboot it again to stop it.

I'm used to it so it's hardly a problem anymore...just a bit of a pain in the butt I've learned to deal with effectively.

That sucks. Got my hopes up for a minute there. I'll give it a go without my daily reboot for a few days and see how that goes.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Nope...problem still exists. I went into work without rebooting and had the plummet.

Seems that rebooting the phone every morning is actually working for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dustojnikhummer