Now I remember why I used to use a slider phone

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Simply trying to fix a spelling error posting my last post was a nightmare, I had to turn my computer on because I got fed up. Anyone else notice the super annoying idiocy of these phones where when you try to select somewhere in the text towards the right side of the screen it keeps "bouncing" the screen back to the left? To better describe:

You have a paragraph. You swipe to the left to get the the area of text you need to correct. You tap in the area of text and instead of simply placing the arrow tab where you need to edit it instead moves the whole page back to full left so you can no longer see where the hell you are in the text area. When I had a slider phone I never once had this issue and one of the main reasons I went to a Droid 2 was because oddities like this drove me insane with the iPhone. Apparently it's still an issue today and it blows my mind. I don't run into this that often, and Swiftkey 3 does wonders, but there still is the occasional error that looks completely stupid in a post and I prefer to correct it. Why is text editing with virtual keyboards still so flawed? Why does the screen keep bouncing back to the left hand side? I mean really!

/rant off.

Rev.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I really don't think this has to do with the keyboard...

Wasn't blaming the keyboard. Was saying how the Web browser can't seem to differentiate when one is typing in a text field. When I had a slider phone the difference was the keyboard doesn't take any screen space, so you have the full screen space therefor the screen can't shift left or right as it's fully displayed.

Don't get me wrong, I love my S3, I just can't believe this issue still exists after all these years.

Rev.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
SwiftKey helps because of the arrow keys, but this is still a very frustrating interface that no one seems to be fixing.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
..touchscreens are a compromise.. we want a nice big screen but dont want a fat phone so a slider layout is out of the question

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
After having a real keyboard on the phone with a slider I still like my VKB better! SwiftKey is just amazing IMO. I think its all about finding the right keyboard per person. I mean I am sure for some the real keyboard is the only way to go. I happen to like VKB!

Cheers!

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Posting using the web browser, can be frustrating. It is much easier using the Forum Runner app.

EDIT: Oops, I meant the Android Central app, I use Forum Runner for other forums...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I have Swiftkey, it's awesome... again though the issue really isn't the keyboard as much as the screen's actions. There seems to be a bug or something, maybe it's Dolphin, I haven't tried it with the built in browser. But like I said, I'll try to swipe to the screen to the side to get to the area of text I need to edit it suddenly jumps the screen all the way to the left. The reason why this isn't an issue for slider phones is because the full screen is displayed, so there's is nowhere for the screen to move.

In all honesty I do prefer Swiftkey 3 over my old physical keyboard, I was just pissed as hell last night trying to simply edit one of my posts on here. As I said I had turn on my PC because it was just getting ridiculous fighting with the phone. Of course this could probably easily be solved just by using Tapatalk, but I've not yet tried it. And I don't usually have any issues but once in a while when it does something as crazy and annoying as it did last night it sure can be maddening LOL :p

Rev.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i find it fine on Firefox Beta. it can be hard to tap the right place accurately to insert something but then i just use the arrows

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I have Swiftkey, it's awesome... again though the issue really isn't the keyboard as much as the screen's actions. There seems to be a bug or something, maybe it's Dolphin, I haven't tried it with the built in browser. But like I said, I'll try to swipe to the screen to the side to get to the area of text I need to edit it suddenly jumps the screen all the way to the left. The reason why this isn't an issue for slider phones is because the full screen is displayed, so there's is nowhere for the screen to move.

In all honesty I do prefer Swiftkey 3 over my old physical keyboard, I was just pissed as hell last night trying to simply edit one of my posts on here. As I said I had turn on my PC because it was just getting ridiculous fighting with the phone. Of course this could probably easily be solved just by using Tapatalk, but I've not yet tried it. And I don't usually have any issues but once in a while when it does something as crazy and annoying as it did last night it sure can be maddening LOL :p

Rev.

Haha I am sorry! I didnt read it right then. I would try another browser! That just may fix your issue. I have used Chrome and the stock browser and I still like the stock one better so far. No working flash sorta bothers me!

As far as tapatalk...Dont bother. Get the FREE forums app. Its Tapatalk just for this forum! Most forums have them. I use this one, XDA has one ans the same with Howard's!

Here is the one for AC...

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...cf.activity&feature=nav_result&token=C6Iajp8A..

Install it! It works great and best of all its free! (Same as Tapatalk but JUST for the AC forums!)

Hope this helps!

Good luck! :)

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I use TapaTalk or dedicated mobile forum apps whenever I can, but these have their limitations as well. Some characters show up extra gibberish added or some important functionality is not included. I've used several browsers and they all seem to have this problem. I agree with the Rev here. It seems like a bug that ought to be fixed.

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
..touchscreens are a compromise.. we want a nice big screen but dont want a fat phone so a slider layout is out of the question

Yes sir! Can you imagine if the Galaxy S III had a slider on top of that sexy screen? There would be a whole lot of people with very large, muscular forearms! (That's what SHE said!!) :p