08-01-2012 03:52 PM
89 1234
tools
    Not an insult at all, but a statement of fact. Many people/teens want the iPhone because it is the iPhone. Not for what the iPhone can do, not for what Android cannot do, it is because their friends/mother/uncle/whatever has it and they just have to have it as well. Watch the video. Yeah it is a joke to a big extent, but it is also very real.

Example, my 18 year old wanted one. I asked why, she said because it is cooler and it is an iPhone. I made her make a list of what she needed the phone for. After she did, I showed her that I could do the same on my Charge (and she was sporting a TB at the time). Didn't matter, it was an iPhone.

Pretty much had the same conversation with my mother in law, minus the homework...

EDIT: if there was a lower power LTE chip, don't you think the SGSIII would have it? They both use Qualcomm...
    Look, of course there are people who buy the iPhone because they think it's cool. Just like there are people who buy Android phones because they are the cheap/free option. But there's lots of us who prefer Android (myself included). By the same token, there are a lot of people who buy the iPhone because it's an excellent smartphone. Sorry, I didn't mean to get all touchy about it - I just really get annoyed with this assumption that the only reason the iPhone is successful is because of marketing. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The LTE chip in the GS3 might very well be the same one they put in the next iPhone. My point was that the one that was available when the 4s was being designed was not as power efficient - at least according to Apple. (and while Apple often says things that are not accurate, in this case I think they're probably right)
    jj2339 likes this.
    07-31-2012 11:31 AM
    Meh... I think that was just marketing hype by Apple to make an excuse for them not having a feature everybody else had.
    07-31-2012 12:27 PM
    i have to admit, thats a crappy looking phone.
    looks good to me, metal back, less glass and a little taller.

go phone for those who love the iphone.
    07-31-2012 12:31 PM
    i think the reason most of us are anti apple is nothing to do with phone envy.. its what theyre doing in the courts right now. i hate that! maybe it was ok for cocacola to patent a bottle design back in the day but apple are sueing over really general things and it p**ses me off
    bdmridgback likes this.
    07-31-2012 12:39 PM
    i think the reason most of us are anti apple is nothing to do with phone envy.. its what theyre doing in the courts right now. i hate that! maybe it was ok for cocacola to patent a bottle design back in the day but apple are sueing over really general things and it p**ses me off
    That and being jaded from owning a previous Apple mobile product and while being initially very impressed by the interace... eventually becoming really iritated by the restrictions... or maybe that's just me... lol
    07-31-2012 12:48 PM
    That and being jaded from owning a previous Apple mobile product and while being initially very impressed by the interace... eventually becoming really iritated by the restrictions... or maybe that's just me... lol
    lol yeah. it turned out you were more of a geek (in a good way) than you thought
    07-31-2012 12:51 PM
    In the past this was the case... to a lot of people iPhone is smarthphone and anything else was just a cheap knockoff. But that's not the case anymore Samsung is getting a lot of mainstream recognition now. And just like how before it was "cool" to own an iPhone... now it's "cool" to own a Samsung Galaxy S3. So not as many people will blindly buy iPhones as they get a chance to see friends with Android phones in action and realize it's not what the detractors claimed to be... meaning Android is a complicated software for tech geeks.

And you say they are not sheep... it's just marketing. That's exactly the definition of a sheep... they don't think for themselves... they just do what Apple marketing tells them to do!
    I'm willing to make a friendly wager that the Iphone 5 sells more than our S3.

Sure, we on the AC boards aren't overly impressed, but we are a small subset of people, dedicated to a competitive platform. Of course we're biased.

Also, I agree, calling people iSheep or any other name is childish. Every person that buys an Iphone isn't doing so because of the herd...

Maybe they looked at the features and decided it was best suited for them, much like those who did the same for android.

Maybe they looked at the app selection and decided that apps are better, or have a bigger selection.

Maybe they bought an original Iphone and have a lot invested in iOS with apps, accessories and otherwise, and don't really want to switch to something new.

Fact is, for a lot of people this is going to be a great phone. For a lot of other people, it's not. iOS and android each have their pluses and minuses. I can think of a few things my wife's 4s does consistently better than my S3, and I can also think of many things my phone blows hers away.

In the grand scheme, who cares. Competition breeds innovation for us. I hope iOS6 does well, because that means android 4.2 or 5 or 6 is going to be even better and feature rich.

Arguing over people's preferences though, it's just silly to me.

I know.. Too long, didn't read.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    07-31-2012 12:58 PM
    Wow, after 3+ years that's the best they could do? Stretch it out and put some holes in it and make the back two toned? Pretty sad! That's ugly in my opinion! Android is going to get a lot more popular because of that ugly thing!
    07-31-2012 01:13 PM
    well aparently its gona be announced with the new ipod nano on 12th september and released on 21st so we'l see and then have a good beatch about it on here
    07-31-2012 01:17 PM
    I'm once again disappointed by Apple. I would love to see a new iPhone with an actual new design. I hate how the "new" iPhones tend to look like the previous models. When I get a new phone, I want something new and exciting.
    07-31-2012 02:14 PM
    Hey I have no issue with people who buy the iPhone because it is the phone for them. That is a minority though and that is why I use the isheep statement. If you say I bought it because the build quality was great, I lime the smaller screen or anything but its an iphone, my hat is off to you and good luck with it.

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums
    07-31-2012 02:41 PM
    EDIT: if there was a lower power LTE chip, don't you think the SGSIII would have it? They both use Qualcomm...
    US versions of S3 use Qualcomm MSM8960 onboard cellular baseband.

Rumors are that Apple will use the new 28nm MDM9615 chipset with the upcoming iPhone.
    07-31-2012 02:57 PM
    id still like to know what theyr gona do about european 4g
    07-31-2012 03:04 PM
    A rumor is not real and who knows if that chip set set runs lower? I am not trying to poo on anyone's party but when it is announced we shall know.

07-31-2012 05:15 PM
    Hey I have no issue with people who buy the iPhone because it is the phone for them. That is a minority though and that is why I use the isheep statement. If you say I bought it because the build quality was great, I lime the smaller screen or anything but its an iphone, my hat is off to you and good luck with it.

As a gadget nerd I often get asked by friends/family what smartphone they should get. My answer is almost always the iPhone, even though I'm an Android guy. The thing is, if we're being honest with ourselves, what advantages does your typical Android phone have over the iPhone for the general consumer? (I can't stress that last part enough)

There's lots of reasons why I prefer Android, but almost none of them apply to the general consumer. In fact the only 2 that come to mind would be gmail and bigger screens. And the gmail app is probably most beneficial to someone who's a power gmail user, which most non-techy folks aren't.

Chipsets, NFC, open-source, customizability, etc, are big deals to us but almost meaningless to the average joe. The iPhone gives them a fast, stable, dead-simple experience that (usually) fits into their digital life already. I hate iTunes, but most general consumers use it or at least familiar with it, using the iPhone with an Apple TV is killer for a lot of people, (I think it's pretty cool too), etc, etc.

Anyway, I'm rambling here but maybe my point is this: I still contend that the majority of iPhone owners consciously made that decision and aren't "sheep", and even for those who are sheep the odds are pretty good that it's the right phone for them anyway.
    mkm1126 likes this.
    07-31-2012 05:24 PM
    4g, better cameras both front and back, replaceable battery, expandable storage, lower price points....all those are consumer needs

07-31-2012 05:47 PM
    I still hold no interest in ever switching to an iPhone...But Apple does make a nice looking product that just works for 90% of the brainless people out there! I will stick with my S3 and/or another Android device!

Unless Palms makes some huge come back then I will stick with Android. (But I am not counting on it! :P)

Cheers...
    I don't want to switch either, but looks like my Company is forcing us that way

Not really a huge problem, as they buy the phones and pay the bill, but man, I was all-in with my Android kit.

Also thought the forum thread where all the Apple-ites are channeling "What-Would-Jobs-Do" was hilarious.
    07-31-2012 05:53 PM
    That looks like a slightly bigger iPhone4s.
    I don't like iPhone but I thought it was going to be something different. This is going to end up like crackberry if they don't change design

Sent from my Galaxy SIII on Ultimatum Rom and OC using Tapatalk 2
    07-31-2012 06:00 PM
    I just thought about how much the iPhone getting NFC is going to affect us. Oh I hope they get it. There will be NFC tags all over the world. NFC apocalypse here we come.
    07-31-2012 06:30 PM
    4g, better cameras both front and back, replaceable battery, expandable storage, lower price points....all those are consumer needs

What Android device has a better camera? The GS3 is the probably the best of the Android bunch, and it's a wash compared to the iPhone 4s.

I'll give you the expandable storage only in that it's a less expensive way to boost your storage. Obviously Apple just wants you to buy the 32, 64, whatever GB iphone which sucks.

There are certain people who really need replaceable batteries, but that's a small minority IMO. Most people (like me) just buy another charger.

As for lower price-points, I'll argue that in almost every case the last generation iphone for $99 or less is better than the cheap Android phones out there. Cheap Android phones are almost universally terrible.
    07-31-2012 06:32 PM
    I just thought about how much the iPhone getting NFC is going to affect us. Oh I hope they get it. There will be NFC tags all over the world. NFC apocalypse here we come.
    If the new iphone has nfc and does nfc payments. that is one of the only good things coming out of it. Means more places to use my google wallet,
    07-31-2012 07:53 PM
    I went to the other side when I decided to buy a Tablet. I was looking at getting the Transformer Prime, had it all rung up and ready to buy, but just couldn't go through with it. I remember some friends saying Apple just works and reminded me of some of the issues I had with my droid X with some android OS updates. So bought first an Ipad 2, then traded it in for the Ipad 3 when I found out the camera on it sucked. I'm very happy with my Ipad 3, but absolutely hate APPLE. Always did and now I know why.
    I never had any problems getting things to work with my PC and my Android Phone, but going cross platform from a PC to Apple Ipad absolutely sucks. APPLE is way too expensive and too strict in their rules, plus like I said, doesn't play nice with my PC. There is so much more I can do with my Droid X, than I can with my Ipad. APPLE needs to loosen their stranglehold on everything APPLE and get like android. At least i can customize my screens on Android. I was considering looking at the new Iphone 5 to see what it had on it, but honestly, looking at screen after screen of just Icons is soooo dang boring to me. Plus the sizes of the Android Phones now are bigger and better. I've never really had a problem with my Ipad 3, but it's probably the last APPLE product I ever buy. Android rules the roost in my eyes.
    07-31-2012 08:33 PM
    4g, replaceable battery and expandable storage are all things consumers don't think about. Apple consistently prices their lowest spec iPhone at 99 or free.

If the new iphone has nfc and does nfc payments. that is one of the only good things coming out of it. Means more places to use my google wallet
    Mastercard/NFC payment systems have been around for a few years now. It'd be nice to see it take off a bit more but I'm still on the fence with how well they'll do.

APPLE needs to loosen their stranglehold on everything APPLE and get like android.
    No, they don't.
    07-31-2012 08:49 PM
    Even though legacy iPhone owners will have to buy new accessories, at least they will have a vast selection to choose from. I guarantee you that even the iPhone 5 accessory selections will be bigger than the gs3

Sent from Le Cyan de Lumia via Board Espresso
    07-31-2012 08:51 PM
    I guess we will all know come Sept 12th.
    07-31-2012 09:13 PM
89 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD