08-20-2012 09:50 PM
137 12345 ...
tools
    yeah i can vouch that Rev isnt a "moaner", more like lookin for logical eplanations/remedies. id still like to know if theres a difference between the glass on UK (or international) s3s in terms of scratchability (ma new word) so has anyone with a gt-i9300 noticed random scratches through normal use?
    08-02-2012 03:24 PM
    id still like to know if theres a difference between the glass on UK (or international) s3s in terms of scratchability (ma new word) so has anyone with a gt-i9300 noticed random scratches through normal use?
    There's certainly a possibility there's a difference. I've seen other materials and products in my past tech history where certain manufacturing plants either had a higher quality control or a more perfected process leading to a better product output. Could also be the materials used. Sometimes the suppliers are different and the materials in different locations could have slight differences in tolerances or manufacturing.

Who knows? Is it super likely? Not really... is it possible? Of course. For all we know though they are probably all made in China anyway and this may be a moot point ....unless the glass is made at different factories then shipped to the China assembly plants...

Rev.
    08-02-2012 03:43 PM
    Wet application?
    Nope. Dry.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    08-02-2012 04:09 PM
    There's certainly a possibility there's a difference. I've seen other materials and products in my past tech history where certain manufacturing plants either had a higher quality control or a more perfected process leading to a better product output. Could also be the materials used. Sometimes the suppliers are different and the materials in different locations could have slight differences in tolerances or manufacturing.

Who knows? Is it super likely? Not really... is it possible? Of course. For all we know though they are probably all made in China anyway and this may be a moot point ....unless the glass is made at different factories then shipped to the China assembly plants...

Rev.
    yeah its probably highly unlikely which leaves me with only one conclusion..... ..... AMERICANS COMPLAIN MORE.... lol
    unlmtdRW likes this.
    08-02-2012 05:29 PM
    yeah its probably highly unlikely which leaves me with only one conclusion..... ..... AMERICANS COMPLAIN MORE.... lol
    No doubt about that, we certainly do! Lol

Rev.
    08-02-2012 06:09 PM
    lol we'r rubbish at complaining over here.. like we could order a pizza or something, get the wrong order delivered, with something we'r highly allergic to, not ring the pizza place coz we dont wana offend anyone, EAT THE PIZZA WE'R ALLERGIC TO just incase the chef is omni-present and is watching us, DIE and then come back as a friendly ghost lol
    Rev2010 likes this.
    08-02-2012 06:14 PM
    I'm just going to pipe in here. My screen is literally scratched to hell. I'm careful with the phone....screen up, and about the only time it's against something is in my pants pocket.

I believe something is wrong with it....it's either a bad batch some of us have or something. My old Evo 4G (which is well over 2 years old) looks pristine (well, the glass does...the plastic not so much), but I haven't even had this phone 4 weeks and it's very scratched up.

I'm kindof annoyed....and I keep getting more scratches on it and can't figure out why. I have a ZAGG screen protector on its way, but it's not going to help the ones I already have.

Anyways, just wanted to pipe in. No idea what's going on cause I've seen the scratch test videos so I have no idea how mine is getting so scratched up. In an out of my pocket shouldn't be scratching it up at all.

And just FYI, I posted a couple things in the other thread too:
    Here's where I first noticed scratches: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post2014751
    And here's where I start getting annoyed: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post2040837
    08-06-2012 10:24 AM
    feel your pain monkey mate.. there is defo something strange going on here with two destinct qualitys of gg2
    08-06-2012 12:02 PM
    Yeah, I'll try to get a couple pics with my wife's GS3 (who doesn't have an scratches, despite just tossing it in her purse). She can just toss it anywhere and it's fine. I put it **gasp** in my pocket and it looks like I took an SOS pad to it.

I kindof wonder what would happen if I did one of those scratch tests with keys or razor blades. I bet it would destroy my phone (I'm not going to try it though).

I think I'm going to contact Samsung about it just to see what happens.

funkylogik: Probably a grasp at straws, but wondering what version you have? I got a blue 32GB (Verizon). My wife's is a white 32GB and doesn't seem to have any issues. Mine seems to scratch if I look it at the wrong (or right) way.
    08-06-2012 01:31 PM
    Yeah, I'll try to get a couple pics with my wife's GS3 (who doesn't have an scratches, despite just tossing it in her purse). She can just toss it anywhere and it's fine. I put it **gasp** in my pocket and it looks like I took an SOS pad to it.

I kindof wonder what would happen if I did one of those scratch tests with keys or razor blades. I bet it would destroy my phone (I'm not going to try it though).

I think I'm going to contact Samsung about it just to see what happens.

funkylogik: Probably a grasp at straws, but wondering what version you have? I got a blue 32GB (Verizon). My wife's is a white 32GB and doesn't seem to have any issues. Mine seems to scratch if I look it at the wrong (or right) way.
    This is very interesting that your wife's phone seems as scratch resistant as we would expect and yours is not. I always had a screen protector even on my Droid X but actually considered going naked on my S3. I had it 2 days, ALWAYS in a holster or face up on a desk, and I also started noticing the fine scratches. Put the screen protector on it right away at that point, but I was surprised! BTW, I also have the blue 32GB, VZW.

Wonder if someone should start a poll - if you have micro-scratches, which version/color/carrier do you have?
    LoveMyPhone likes this.
    08-06-2012 01:39 PM
    yeah i duno how to start the poll things but someone should defo do it. mines a white 16gb sim-free international monkey mate
    08-06-2012 01:43 PM
    It's not a color thing, that's silly - no offense intended. Anyhow, mine is a white US version and I have about 5 micro-scratches on mine, so relax you guys with blue one's, it's not the color

Rev.
    08-06-2012 03:24 PM
    It's not a color thing, that's silly - no offense intended. Anyhow, mine is a white US version and I have about 5 micro-scratches on mine, so relax you guys with blue one's, it's not the color

Rev.
    what memory version and carrier Rev mate?
    08-06-2012 03:48 PM
    Memory version? If you mean 1gb vs. 2gb it's the 2GB AT&T one.

Rev.
    08-06-2012 04:19 PM
    have something weird going on with my glass too.
    If the screen is totally clean you can't see it, but if after use it gets a little greasy/dirty, you start to see a streak on the glass on phone that has a type of shade on it that doesn't seem to be affected by grease/dirt. It looks to be a dark streak.
    You can also see it when you dampen a wet cloth and clean the phone from side to side. A type of border of wetness is created when you wipe the phone with water (where the shading/streak is). Very strange, weird and hard to describe.

But again, when the screen is clear you can't see or feel any streak if you slide over it with your finger. It's there but it's not...
    I had this on my Nexus 7. It was really weird. I returned it. My new one doesn't have this problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    08-06-2012 04:23 PM
    My thinking was more that maybe the different colors were manufactured different places (with a different supply of glass). Not that the color itself would have anything to do with it of course.

Anyways, it took some fenangling but I managed to actually get a pic of my screen. And no, I don't abuse the phone at all...it's either face up on my desk/charger, in my car dock, or in my pocket. And it keeps getting worse...started off with one or two, and now it's all over. It's a mess. And my pockets are not that dirty or full of sand or anything.

I'm just disappointed that even though I have a screen protector on the way, I now have about 2 years left with this phone that's all scratched up

As I said before, my Evo 4G (which I still have laying here) looks pristine...and that's after over 2 years of use and about a month now since I handed it off to my kid (who is not as gentle as I am). All I know is the glass on my S3 is not as durable as my EVO is. Whether I've had bad luck and got a bum sheet of glass or my wife is secretly scratching the hell out of it when I'm not looking, I don't know.
    08-06-2012 04:46 PM
    Can you think of anything that would cause that damage?
    08-06-2012 04:58 PM
    @rev i meant storage memory mate 16/32Gb
    OUCH monkey those are some pretty bad scratches man i thought maybe people were just being a bit anal but i wouldnt be happy with scratches like that!
    i really dont baby my phone.. i hit my fiance with it lol.. and theres nothing anywhere close to that on my screen.. yet lol
    08-06-2012 04:59 PM
    Can you think of anything that would cause that damage?
    I can't figure out what's causing it honestly. I keep the phone screen up, and really only transfer it from the counter to my pocket to the car dock to my desk at work (and any combination thereof). I wouldn't say I baby the phone, but I certainly don't abuse it. The most "abuse" it would get is being in my pocket while I'm walking the dog, in which case part of the headphone cable might be in the pocket with the phone, but that certainly shouldn't be scratching it like that.

I really wish I could figure out what's causing it. I started not putting it in my pocket until my screen protector arrives cause as I said, it keeps getting worse and that's pretty much the only time the screen is actually against something. That picture doesn't even do it justice to how it looks in person. It's pretty bad.

I really do think I have a bum sheet of glass or something. Something isn't right with it, but I really don't know where to go....Verizon wouldn't care, and I doubt Samsung is going to either. I do have the insurance, but it's not damaged enough I want to pay the deductible. Maybe I'll "luck out" and drop it and it'll shatter or something.
    08-06-2012 05:05 PM
    the problem is that u have no way of proving that u havent abused it mate. the only chance of "justice" is if enough people get together and make enough noise to get noticed
    08-06-2012 05:11 PM
    Yeah I know I'm SOL with it. Oh well.

Maybe if the phone breaks or after the two years is up I'll do a scratch test on it just to see if it holds up like the videos I've seen do.
    08-06-2012 05:17 PM
    lol yeah hammer nails in with it how much is your deductable? ive reported a few bricked phones stolen in the past
    08-06-2012 05:23 PM
    Ive never had a scratch on any of my iPhones and they've never had a scratch. However in 2 weeks my S3 suffered a small scratch but is now safe inside an otterbox deffender case. Pretty crazy but not a deal breaker I suppose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    08-06-2012 07:19 PM
    Yeah I know I'm SOL with it. Oh well.

Maybe if the phone breaks or after the two years is up I'll do a scratch test on it just to see if it holds up like the videos I've seen do.
    I know this may sound stupid but I have seen this happen before.
    Try and take a razor blade at the edge and see if the screen was not double coated.
    Sometimes that coated film can really almost be invisible. And it sure will show like the phone is getting all scratched up. When my s3 cracked I took my keys to it, bad thing to due but I was looking for answers. I really couldn`t scratch it. I think there is a batch issue myself, but see if you have a film on the glass. By your picture I would assume your right handed and have thumb nails. Thats what led me to think it maybe a film on your screen.
    Hope thats all it is.
    08-07-2012 03:34 PM
    I tried the Spigen Ultra Nano Clear film today and gave up on it. The first of 3 went on poorly with lots of bubbles that were just too much a pain to get out so I removed it. The second I got on perfectly with no bubbles but I could still see some "wavering" like pattern near the top end of the screen. I didn't crease or crimp the film so I'm not sure why it has that wavy look in the film up near there. But then I tried using the phone and just really couldn't get on with the stickier feel of the film as opposed to the super silky smooth feel of the glass, so I took it off Gonna just have to take the risk of continuing on nude and just be even that much more careful.

Rev.
    08-07-2012 04:02 PM
137 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD