08-20-2012 09:50 PM
137 ... 23456
tools
    Already cracked my screen, drop it about a foot or so and it cracked in two places :/

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    08-07-2012 04:05 PM
    I know this may sound stupid but I have seen this happen before.
    Try and take a razor blade at the edge and see if the screen was not double coated.
    Thanks, but a no go. However, I'm more confused than ever....I decided to brave It and took the razor blade to a corner (figuring I'd have one more scratch) and couldn't scratch the screen at all....so I tried again and no luck (and if I did have a second coating, it would have scratched)

So how the hell did I scratch the screen up so bad if I can't scratch it with a razor blade?!?!? Did I accidentally run some diamonds over it or something?

Grrrr....doesn't make any freaking sense.
    08-07-2012 05:02 PM
    lol@diamonds. that is very strange. wish we had a gg rep to try and make sense of it
    08-07-2012 05:05 PM
    Maybe, as someone suggested in the past, they aren't actually scratches but micro-fractures. Certainly possible.

Rev.
    08-07-2012 05:15 PM
    Maybe, as someone suggested in the past, they aren't actually scratches but micro-fractures. Certainly possible.

Rev.
    yeah ur right mate its possible
    08-07-2012 05:32 PM
    I could see the possibility of fractures. I would measure the longest and shortest possibly fracture with a quality digital caliper. (preferably from the outside edge of the phone to the fracture points) Then periodically check to see if they change from your current readings. A fracture should grow with the phone due to it being a touch screen. Worth a try.
    08-07-2012 05:32 PM

Rev.
    Possibly. Not sure how that would have happened, but makes more sense.

since they're getting worse, I wonder what's causing it. Maybe my infuse dock? The phone is tight in it so would getting it in and out be flexing it enough to cause that?

Just a thought. Kind of grasping for possibilities.
    08-07-2012 06:01 PM
    @bier808 - I'm not sure they would grow since a lot of the technical data I've read from Corning says one of the benefits is the structure is designed to prevent cracks from continuing to expand or further themselves. Only problem I have with the fracture argument is most of my micro-scratches appear to not be straight lines but rather are curved. Seems less likely fractures that have curves would be produced.

Rev.
    08-07-2012 06:19 PM
    True, I agree. To the extent that if there could possible be that many fractures they would most certainly grow due to the constant touching of the screen. Plus for that many possible fractures, its totally under some serious stress, so I would assume they would grow. IMO

Added: Also stress will take the path of least resistance,so straight or curved is possible. (Is imo in capps screaming? if so not intended)
    08-07-2012 06:30 PM
    nah nah its not screaming mate im loving all this logical chat
    08-07-2012 07:02 PM
    lol....cool

Logic....Im just pissed.....lol
    Hopefully we all find our answers, even if it goes our way or not.
    08-07-2012 08:24 PM
    *always pissed*
    08-07-2012 08:25 PM
    I have the Zagg HD screen protector and the Otterbox Commuter case which offers great protection and covers the edges of the Zagg so I can't even tell I have a screen protector on most of the time. The HD Zagg is very clear and for me hasn't compromised the quality of the screen on the S3.
    08-07-2012 09:29 PM
    Screen protector may not be HD but I will put my Defender up against any rugged case. Have never had any screen crackage ever. Luck favors the prepared.
    08-07-2012 09:42 PM
    For those of you who can see scratches, how are you viewing them? Screen off, under light, angled? Just curious so I can check mine.

S3 on Sprint - 16gb pebble blue + 64
    08-07-2012 09:45 PM
    I am curious concerning the sources of the cracks and scratches. Are you guys putting phones in your pocket? Are you putting in your back pocket and sitting on it? My smartphones have always been in a holster and the last several in cases as well. The only time that I had a phone in my pocket was the GS3 because the Defender was not available so I got a Commuter to put it in my pocket with no screen protector and no scratches.
    08-07-2012 09:49 PM
    I am curious concerning the sources of the cracks and scratches.
    Thats exactly how we feel.
    08-07-2012 10:27 PM
    Just found a scratch on my phone yesterday put it down on my desk and when the screen went off the light was at just the right angle and showed the scratch.
    08-08-2012 01:33 PM
    I almost took a swing at the goof who got the phone out for me... He said he would just put the sim in and power it off, but then he pulled the back protection film off and attempted to do the front before I yelled at him to leave it.

The first thing I do with any electronic product with a screen, is keep the factory cover on until I get a protector.

I don't know why you folks don't even use the cheap 99 cent static cling protectors. It's like you are almost sadistically in a way trying to test and see if the phone will scratch. Just because gorilla glass 2 claims to not scratch or shatter, doesn't mean you should accept it as fact.

Usually my phones at the end of their life cycles are filled with dents or scratches on all sides, the back, but the screen is always crystal clear from day one.
    08-09-2012 05:40 AM
    Sorry Mr terminator sir. This is everyone's first phone so nobody knows what to do.

Seriously, why would anyone change the way they handle or carry their phone if they never had an issue before. Whats sadistic about that? Who is claiming they took a knife to the screen and scratched it, and now talking $hit? Really how many spent time researching gorilla glass 2 before buying there phone? Most are looking for answers after the fact.

And if a fault with the phone or glass is found and corrected im sure you wont have an apology. Try and put a little thought in your comments.

Thank you for your participation
    08-09-2012 02:46 PM
    I don't take any chances - the factory piece comes off and a screen protector goes on. I'm a self confessed phone ***** and want to get the best resell money out my devices, which funds the next device.
    Amen! I don't mind the screen protector it's actually nice. These phones have awesome resale value and allowed me to sell my SII skyrocket and buy this and make out 100 bucks ahead cause I protected it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    08-09-2012 02:50 PM
    Sorry Mr terminator sir. This is everyone's first phone so nobody knows what to do.

Seriously, why would anyone change the way they handle or carry their phone if they never had an issue before. Whats sadistic about that? Who is claiming they took a knife to the screen and scratched it, and now talking $hit? Really how many spent time researching gorilla glass 2 before buying there phone? Most are looking for answers after the fact.

And if a fault with the phone or glass is found and corrected im sure you wont have an apology. Try and put a little thought in your comments.

Thank you for your participation
    *pulls u back* careful man... its.. a ... terminator!
    08-09-2012 02:55 PM
    Honestly I`m just making a point, not trying to get under anyone's screen protector and scratch a bad nerve.
    08-09-2012 03:14 PM
    lol luvin the analogy mate
    08-09-2012 03:15 PM
    is BIER ur real name or chosen drink btw lol?
    08-09-2012 03:15 PM
137 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD