We need to let OEMs and Corning know how bad Gorilla Glass 2 is!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: We need to let OEMs and Corning know how bad Gorilla Glass 2

yeah i duno how to start the poll things but someone should defo do it. mines a white 16gb sim-free international monkey mate

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

It's not a color thing, that's silly - no offense intended. Anyhow, mine is a white US version and I have about 5 micro-scratches on mine, so relax you guys with blue one's, it's not the color ;)

Rev.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Memory version? If you mean 1gb vs. 2gb it's the 2GB AT&T one.

Rev.

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
have something weird going on with my glass too.
If the screen is totally clean you can't see it, but if after use it gets a little greasy/dirty, you start to see a streak on the glass on phone that has a type of shade on it that doesn't seem to be affected by grease/dirt. It looks to be a dark streak.
You can also see it when you dampen a wet cloth and clean the phone from side to side. A type of border of wetness is created when you wipe the phone with water (where the shading/streak is). Very strange, weird and hard to describe.

But again, when the screen is clear you can't see or feel any streak if you slide over it with your finger. It's there but it's not...

I had this on my Nexus 7. It was really weird. I returned it. My new one doesn't have this problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

It's not a color thing, that's silly - no offense intended. Anyhow, mine is a white US version and I have about 5 micro-scratches on mine, so relax you guys with blue one's, it's not the color ;)

My thinking was more that maybe the different colors were manufactured different places (with a different supply of glass). Not that the color itself would have anything to do with it of course.

Anyways, it took some fenangling but I managed to actually get a pic of my screen. And no, I don't abuse the phone at all...it's either face up on my desk/charger, in my car dock, or in my pocket. And it keeps getting worse...started off with one or two, and now it's all over. It's a mess. And my pockets are not that dirty or full of sand or anything.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

I'm just disappointed that even though I have a screen protector on the way, I now have about 2 years left with this phone that's all scratched up :(

As I said before, my Evo 4G (which I still have laying here) looks pristine...and that's after over 2 years of use and about a month now since I handed it off to my kid (who is not as gentle as I am). All I know is the glass on my S3 is not as durable as my EVO is. Whether I've had bad luck and got a bum sheet of glass or my wife is secretly scratching the hell out of it when I'm not looking, I don't know.

Last edited:

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Can you think of anything that would cause that damage?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

@rev i meant storage memory mate 16/32Gb :)
OUCH monkey those are some pretty bad scratches man :( i thought maybe people were just being a bit anal but i wouldnt be happy with scratches like that!
i really dont baby my phone.. i hit my fiance with it lol.. and theres nothing anywhere close to that on my screen.. yet lol

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Can you think of anything that would cause that damage?

I can't figure out what's causing it honestly. I keep the phone screen up, and really only transfer it from the counter to my pocket to the car dock to my desk at work (and any combination thereof). I wouldn't say I baby the phone, but I certainly don't abuse it. The most "abuse" it would get is being in my pocket while I'm walking the dog, in which case part of the headphone cable might be in the pocket with the phone, but that certainly shouldn't be scratching it like that.

I really wish I could figure out what's causing it. I started not putting it in my pocket until my screen protector arrives cause as I said, it keeps getting worse and that's pretty much the only time the screen is actually against something. That picture doesn't even do it justice to how it looks in person. It's pretty bad.

I really do think I have a bum sheet of glass or something. Something isn't right with it, but I really don't know where to go....Verizon wouldn't care, and I doubt Samsung is going to either. I do have the insurance, but it's not damaged enough I want to pay the deductible. Maybe I'll "luck out" and drop it and it'll shatter or something.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

the problem is that u have no way of proving that u havent abused it mate. the only chance of "justice" is if enough people get together and make enough noise to get noticed :(

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I know I'm SOL with it. Oh well.

Maybe if the phone breaks or after the two years is up I'll do a scratch test on it just to see if it holds up like the videos I've seen do.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

lol yeah hammer nails in with it :) how much is your deductable? ive reported a few bricked phones stolen in the past

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Ive never had a scratch on any of my iPhones and they've never had a scratch. However in 2 weeks my S3 suffered a small scratch but is now safe inside an otterbox deffender case. Pretty crazy but not a deal breaker I suppose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

bier808

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I know I'm SOL with it. Oh well.

Maybe if the phone breaks or after the two years is up I'll do a scratch test on it just to see if it holds up like the videos I've seen do.

I know this may sound stupid but I have seen this happen before.
Try and take a razor blade at the edge and see if the screen was not double coated.
Sometimes that coated film can really almost be invisible. And it sure will show like the phone is getting all scratched up. When my s3 cracked I took my keys to it, bad thing to due but I was looking for answers. I really couldn`t scratch it. I think there is a batch issue myself, but see if you have a film on the glass. By your picture I would assume your right handed and have thumb nails. Thats what led me to think it maybe a film on your screen.
Hope thats all it is.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I tried the Spigen Ultra Nano Clear film today and gave up on it. The first of 3 went on poorly with lots of bubbles that were just too much a pain to get out so I removed it. The second I got on perfectly with no bubbles but I could still see some "wavering" like pattern near the top end of the screen. I didn't crease or crimp the film so I'm not sure why it has that wavy look in the film up near there. But then I tried using the phone and just really couldn't get on with the stickier feel of the film as opposed to the super silky smooth feel of the glass, so I took it off :-\ Gonna just have to take the risk of continuing on nude and just be even that much more careful.

Rev.

plkevlar

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Already cracked my screen, drop it about a foot or so and it cracked in two places :/

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I know this may sound stupid but I have seen this happen before.
Try and take a razor blade at the edge and see if the screen was not double coated.

Thanks, but a no go. However, I'm more confused than ever....I decided to brave It and took the razor blade to a corner (figuring I'd have one more scratch) and couldn't scratch the screen at all....so I tried again and no luck (and if I did have a second coating, it would have scratched)

So how the hell did I scratch the screen up so bad if I can't scratch it with a razor blade?!?!? Did I accidentally run some diamonds over it or something?

Grrrr....doesn't make any freaking sense.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

lol@diamonds. that is very strange. wish we had a gg rep to try and make sense of it

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

Maybe, as someone suggested in the past, they aren't actually scratches but micro-fractures. Certainly possible.

Rev.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MOSHE TVITO