08-20-2012 09:50 PM
137 123 ...
tools
    I absolutely love the phone with the lone exception of the screen. Like MANY others, I kept my Droid X naked for way over a year and it doesn't even have a micro scratch, but I babied my SGS3 and it still got micro scratches on it the first two weeks!

I've been forced to put a screen protector on it to prevent it from getting worse but I hate the feel and compromised screen quality. Also, judging from drop tests on Youtube, it breaks much easier than the original also. I dropped my Droid X so many times I lost count and the only marks were small scuffs on the rubber coating.

I don't understand how this could have happened. How could a company as large as Corning supposedly improve a product and it be this much worse? What about Samsung, didn't they test the material before using it on the phone?

I think we need to start an organized effort to let Samsung, other OEMs and Corning know that GG2 sucks and we want the original GG on future phones.
    07-31-2012 02:58 PM
    How are some of you having so many issues with screen scratches? I keep my phone... bare screened... in my pants pocket... have put it in a gym bag... and I still have no scratches!
    07-31-2012 03:03 PM
    Same here and I'm hoping it stays that way...
    07-31-2012 03:11 PM
    have something weird going on with my glass too.
    If the screen is totally clean you can't see it, but if after use it gets a little greasy/dirty, you start to see a streak on the glass on phone that has a type of shade on it that doesn't seem to be affected by grease/dirt. It looks to be a dark streak.
    You can also see it when you dampen a wet cloth and clean the phone from side to side. A type of border of wetness is created when you wipe the phone with water (where the shading/streak is). Very strange, weird and hard to describe.

But again, when the screen is clear you can't see or feel any streak if you slide over it with your finger. It's there but it's not...
    07-31-2012 03:12 PM
    Maybe a bad batch?
    07-31-2012 03:14 PM
    It looks to be a dark streak.
    You need to start putting it in your front pants pocket. ...Stop putting it in your back pants pocket.

-Suntan
    equishd, djdosage, weezul and 6 others like this.
    07-31-2012 03:38 PM
    that's why you always get a screen protector. for a few bucks, you get to protect your $200-$300 phones. seems like a good investment to me
    ibcop and equishd like this.
    07-31-2012 03:45 PM
    think it's pretty funny how I took my phone to the beach 4 days straight. Of course I got sand on it and even dropped it a couple times in the sand. Screen naked, no scratches. And that's supposed to be the one thing that does scratch gorilla glass. My screen is perfect. Ask the issues are making me lean towards a screen protector. Probably the ultra clear curved by spigen. Possibly even the tempered glass. But for now GG2 is working like a charm
    07-31-2012 04:57 PM
    Funny, I posted about this yesterday and you today. While a lot of you haven't had any scratches trust me, in time you will. And he's right, my Droid 2 (original Gorilla Glass) at nearly 2 years use with no screen protector is absolutely flawless, not even the slightest micro scratch. Something is definitely up either with the GG2 or something in the way Samsung is implementing the S3 screen. I think it's GG2 though. The scratches I have though are very light and really aren't noticeable when using the screen, at least not yet. Today I ordered the Spigen protector to help keep it from getting worse. One of the tiniest scratchest I can actually feel when scratching my nail across it, all the other I cannot feel.

Just did a quick search and found another thread on a different forum complaining of scratches. Only two pages but a few people said their Galaxy S2's never once got a scratch and their S3's do:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1703757

Rev.
    slide83 likes this.
    07-31-2012 05:05 PM
    I don't take any chances - the factory piece comes off and a screen protector goes on. I'm a self confessed phone ***** and want to get the best resell money out my devices, which funds the next device.
    lv2bsilly likes this.
    07-31-2012 05:12 PM
    Look we shouldn't have to use screen protectors... These phones are HD screens and made for bare natural feel... I hate screen protectors and the same is happening to me... 2 small scratches after the first oe I bought the flip case and today 2 weeks later I noticed another one.. Smh.. This is horrible!!!! Yet I love the phone but I'm highly disappointed with this area... My nano screen protector has been ordered against my will!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Rev2010, slide83 and LoveMyPhone like this.
    07-31-2012 05:40 PM
    Look we shouldn't have to use screen protectors... These phones are HD screens and made for bare natural feel... I hate screen protectors and the same is happening to me... 2 small scratches after the first oe I bought the flip case and today 2 weeks later I noticed another one
    Agreed 100%. I hate screen protectors and the stickier feel - and in some cases the awful visual effects they impart. I see some people on the train with screen protectors that look like holographic rainbows when view from even the slightest side angle. I avoid those of course and ordered one for my S3. I love the thing as well, and again as mentioned in my thread *I can live with it*. But boy this screen seems far more sensitive than any other phone I've owned, or my original Gorilla Glass Cowon S9 MP3 player which after several years only has one tiny scratch in the screen (full on knick though, not just a micro-scratch).

Rev.
    slide83 and the1m.polo like this.
    07-31-2012 06:00 PM
    Mine is in my shirt pocket, in a pouch with a micro fiber interior or sitting on my car seat...or laying screen up on my desk or night stand. It has at least a half dozen micro scratches on it.

my S2 riding in my pocket for over a year never had anything remotely looking like a scratch on the glass. This stuff is definitely more easily scratched than either my prior HTC or my S2.

My daughter has an ATT Samsung something or other (larger than the S2) and her kids play with it all the time and there isn't a single scratch on it anywhere on the glass.
    07-31-2012 06:27 PM
    mines perfect after like 2months! gg2 is bad compared to what lol?? diamonds? yeah the screen sticks out further than the bezel so put a cheap case on it or dont play ice hockey with it face down
    07-31-2012 06:37 PM
    ^^^ Coming from the guy that posted saying you ordered a case just to be safe due to the scratch comments in the nude thread.

Rev.
    07-31-2012 06:57 PM
    Can you guys with scratches post pictures of your screens???
    07-31-2012 07:00 PM
    Gg2 is :-(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    07-31-2012 07:32 PM
    2 months of pocket life in a workshop, been dropped a few times from 1.5m and a week or so ago it dropped out of my pocket onto the cement floor from nearly 3m up on a truck engine.
    Not a mark on it.
    Its in a gel case with no other protection.
    08-01-2012 02:19 AM
    2 months of pocket life in a workshop, been dropped a few times from 1.5m and a week or so ago it dropped out of my pocket onto the cement floor from nearly 3m up on a truck engine.
    Not a mark on it.
    Its in a gel case with no other protection.
    I work in a machine shop all kinds of metals and abrasives and dust all over the place and I don't have a scratch on my nexus. Its inevitable though that u will get scratches all it takes is some microscopic particles. Gorilla glass is scratch resistant not scratch proof.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    08-01-2012 02:29 AM
    ^^^ Coming from the guy that posted saying you ordered a case just to be safe due to the scratch comments in the nude thread.

Rev.
    actualy got it more for drop protection but point taken lol
    08-01-2012 03:53 AM
    I don't take any chances - the factory piece comes off and a screen protector goes on. I'm a self confessed phone ***** and want to get the best resell money out my devices, which funds the next device.
    "Self-confessed phone *****..."

That just made my day.

I have a naked screen with zero scratches. The phone lives in my pocket and never shares a pocket with coins or keys or a lighter. Ever.

Unless there's vastly different realities when it comes to what you consider "babying" the device, there may be a bad batch.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    08-01-2012 04:38 AM
    Ultra Nano Clear.

Problem averted.

08-01-2012 07:22 AM
    id only use a screen protector that puts a different colour around the screen but the only site ive found is iskins, theres a really nice black carbon fibre look but theyr very expensive and based in the US.
    anyone know somewhere closer to UK that does these coloured ones? a black s3 would look HOT
    08-01-2012 07:37 AM
    Ultra Nano Clear.

Problem averted.

Thinking of ordering some as a backup. Right now I have the defender case and I love it!
    08-01-2012 07:38 AM
    I have two small scratches as well.
    08-01-2012 09:43 AM
137 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD