Can't figure out Copy/Paste on S3

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been using android for 2 years, and was able to copy/paste fine on my EVO.

On my S3, I press & hold, I get the two blue selectors. I drag around, then press what I presume is the copy icon (at top right, icon is two sheets of paper).

The copy/paste bar disappears from the top.

At this point, I thought I would just press and hold to get a paste option. Nothing happens when I do. I only get a single blue selector which lets me move the cursor.

What am I missing?

How do I invoke the paste option?

Thanks,
Mike

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I've been using android for 2 years, and was able to copy/paste fine on my EVO.

On my S3, I press & hold, I get the two blue selectors. I drag around, then press what I presume is the copy icon (at top right, icon is two sheets of paper).

The copy/paste bar disappears from the top.

At this point, I thought I would just press and hold to get a paste option. Nothing happens when I do. I only get a single blue selector which lets me move the cursor.

What am I missing?

How do I invoke the paste option?

That is how you do it, works fine on mine. Are you stock or rooted?

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Just rebooted. Still, a press and hold does not invoke the paste option.

YIKES!!!

I NEED COPY/PASTE!!!

HELP!!!!

NickLippert

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
What are you trying to paste into? I long press into a text field and paste option appears. Sounds like you are doing it right, not sure why it's not working.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Into the body of a gmail message, into the body of a touchdown (exchange) message, into the signature field of tapatalk.

All I get is a single blue cursor adjusting icon.

I have 2 other S3's in the family so I'll check those when I get home.

Odd.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure what handles the copy paste function. I am assuming it is the keyboard. I am using Swype. I would first try and clear the data from the Samsung Keyboard (assuming that is what you are using) and reboot. See if that solves your issue. If not then I would try a different keyboard like Swype, or Swiftkey to see if that solves your issue. Finally, I would try to clear the phones Cache.

****I just thought of something else: Empty or clear your clipboard (might be full).

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
on some apps it does not work properly when you long ours the text field. If you are using the Samsung keyboard hold down what should be a gear button for the settings. When you hold down that a folder with a paper clip should show up. That is the clip board whatever you copied should be there

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I use swift key keyboard.

About clearing cache, does that erase any phone setting or config?

Is that the 'wipe system cache' function which is available from the special boot menu (when you hold down power and some other key? (I don't know the keys to press on the S3)

Thanks,
Mike

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I use swift key keyboard.

About clearing cache, does that erase any phone setting or config? No

Is that the 'wipe system cache' function which is available from the special boot menu (when you hold down power and some other key? (I don't know the keys to press on the S3) Yes

Thanks,
Mike

Ok, then I would start by clearing the Cache and or Data for Swiftkey. Then see if that solves your issue. If not then delete Swiftkey and reinstall. Finally, I wipe my phones cache about once a month to keep things running smooth.

To wipe: Power phone off>Hold volume up + Home + Power> Wipe Cache Partition>Reboot.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I just tested pasting on my other S3 and it works fine, as expected.
I remember I disabled some applications / services trying to get better battery life. I just re-enabled most of them (especially the ones I didn't know what they were), but that didn't help.

I just switched back to samsung keyboard (that way I don't have to clear data and re-setup swiftkey). Still happening.

Rebooted again (after the above changes). Still, pasting not working.

I just wiped system cache, still not pasting.

HELP!

What should I try next?

Thx
Mike

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Something really goofy: I figured I'd try some different applications. In the contact app, when editing a contact, I selected some text, pressed the cut or copy icon at the top, then when I long press, it says the word clipboard instead of paste.

Any ideas what that means?

thx
mike

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
WAIT: I forgot an important point: I'm using Go Launcher. (It's so natural for me now I forgot I was using it.

Let me figure out how to switch back to touch wiz without trashing all my launcher settings.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I cleared defaults, pressed home, touch wiz stopped responding, I rebooted, was back to touch wiz, but still no pasting.
I just went back to go launcher.

Hmm.

I am running vlingo on double-press of home instead of s-voice. Maybe I should try going back to that.

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what's different between the two phones.

Mike

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could rename this thread title so it doesn't make me sound like an idiot.

I was able to reproduce the problem on a newly factory defaulted Galaxy S2 (after the upgrade to ICS) with swift key installed.

The annoying thing, however, is that even after uninstalling swiftkey, it's still not working.

Because this affects S3 & S2, either ICS alone or with swift key, someone will fix it quickly.

Mike

wyhsbc

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Mike, you are not alone on this one. I have the EXACT same experience on my Sprint S3 stock build, un-rooted with Android 4.04. I am using the stock Samsung keyboard.

I experienced this right out of the box.

From the posts, it seems everyone is not experiencing the same problem as we are.

Hope someone can figure out what the issue may be, it is somewhat maddening.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay