I try not to be too anal about my phone, this is my first android and I'm loving it. However, I dropped it a few days ago and scratched the bezel and put a little chip on the corner, distorting the plastic. Today i found a micro-scratch on the screen. You really can't see it unless you're looking. I use a full leather case when out and about but when at home, I just roll naked. Anyone else a little less precious with their devices?! Who's got the most beaten up s3 so far? :P
    08-02-2012 10:50 AM
    I find it kind of stupid to pay so much for a phone, just to destroy it.
    Otterbox all the way, or any other protective case that absorbs impacts and slightly water resistant.
    roachman55 likes this.
    08-02-2012 12:19 PM
    I find it stupid to pay so much for a phone just to hide it.

(Nothing personal)
    Roboticz and bigslam123 like this.
    08-02-2012 12:44 PM
    Goes the other way too though. I kinda find it stupid to buy an 8.6mm thin, beautifully designed device just to add a huge, bulky, ugly case to it.

To the OP, I don't mind a little character myself. I buy my devices to use them, not keep them pristine. It's getting replaced in 2 years at the most anyway. The only thing I worry about is damage that affects functionality, cracked or scratched screens that reduce readability for example. Otherwise, use em, abuse em and throw em away in 2 years.
    08-02-2012 12:46 PM
    I find it kind of stupid to pay so much for a phone, just to destroy it.
    Otterbox all the way, or any other protective case that absorbs impacts and slightly water resistant.
    I don't think anyone goes out of their way to "destroy" their phones. I personally always put a screen protector on SGP ftw, and some form of a case (something more asthetically pleasing and less bulky). I have had 3 cell phones and dropped my iPhone4 ONCE on concrete (the Mobi battery pack saved it). Although I would not consider the Mophie battery pack air, un-bulky lol but it was worth it's price tag. I have never dropped my phone since then (4 years usage of smart phones fwiw).

I personally dislike how clunky the Otterbox designs are and how they make the phone feel.

But I think the OP, who was unfortunate enough to have a drop, is seeking commiseration amongs fellow unlucky phone owners
    08-02-2012 12:50 PM
    Otterbox defender is the way to go...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    08-03-2012 12:08 AM
    Otterboxes make the phone too damn big. It's a shame tho considering all the efforts Samsung made to make this phone so light and thin.
    08-03-2012 12:40 AM

(Nothing personal)
    I agree. I have had cases on other phones and they either make the phone too bulky, hard to use or make me more likely to drop the phone. I have gone bare screen on my last few phones too but got Ghost armor for the screen of my S3 to give it a shot.
    08-03-2012 12:45 AM
    Personally I'm using a Belkin gel case which is really thin yet still protects the phone and adds a lip to protect the screen.
    08-03-2012 12:46 AM
    The verizon holster works like a champ.... And super thin,!
    08-03-2012 12:56 AM
    I balance naked and protection. I have a tech21 impactology case (clear of course) and zagg screen protector on my s3. I can say it looks like its unprotected but this case saved my S3 more then once

Sent from my Galaxy SIII on Ultimatum Rom and OC using Red Xparent Tapatalk 2
    08-03-2012 02:51 AM
    I was sad when I dropped my phone no doubt... but to be fair I was expecting the screen to have cracked. i''ve recently picked up the galaxy s3 official flip case,, which is even less protective than my cheap leather holster. If i'm getting hardcore I can slide it in, flap and all, into the leather holster so I have a workable combo right now. I think when I'm at a gig that will be the way to go! I've recently discovered a crack in my metal bezel as well, just on the left side, just under the volume buttons almost all the way across to the back!!! Also, the back of the flip case is covered in scratches from being in my pocket with my keys. No doubting the back of a flip case isn't as scratchproof as the regular backing... it is a bit thicker though!
    08-22-2012 06:36 AM
    As these phones hold considerable resale value I try to care for them as much as possible. My iPhone 4 was two years old and sold for $300 cash. I paid that plus tax and upgrade fee so I didn't do bad. Why just throw something of worth away? My S3 has had little drops. Fumbles really. Nothing major and its currently cased and has a Moshi screen protector...although this is getting replaced soon.

Brian-

Sent with my at&t SGSIII
    roachman55 likes this.
    08-22-2012 06:51 AM
    Wonder y Samsung didn't use their unbreakable screen on the s3...after creaking my s2 I ve learnt my lesson now I have a flip case for my s3

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    08-22-2012 06:52 AM
    I agree, throwing it away is insane! Thanks to the wonderful BB holster of my 9800, it was near mint at the end of it's two year cycle and I sold it to a poor woman who needed a new one for work in a rush, for 100! happy days
    08-22-2012 06:54 AM
    I can certainly see both sides of this debate. The GS3 is a beautiful device with it's slim profile and big screen. I am on the "protection" side of the fence on this one. I bought a case day one then ordered an Otterbox defender in white / grey when it came out and returned the other case. I am also a belt clip person. I like have the phone in a belt clip and you cannot accomplish that with a naked phone. Finally, I find tha the naked phone is a little slippery in my hands and more prone to being dropped. My first case was like that too. The Otterbox, although a little bigger, has great grip and I think it actually feels better in my hand.

BTW - I installed a ZAGG HD screen protector and removed the OB screen protector when I got it.
    08-22-2012 09:27 AM

(Nothing personal)
    You have to hide it in a case to protect your investment and I find most good cases and some cheap ones make it much easier to hold onto without phone slipping out of your hands
    08-22-2012 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD