08-04-2012 02:04 AM
26 12
tools
    My previous thread had a misleading title because I thought I simply "couldn't figure out how to paste."

Now that there is a confirm bug impairing one's ability to paste, I'm curious how common it is?

Since I have the impression that it might be related to the swiftkey keyboard, and since swiftkey is pretty popular, I'm suspecting it might affect lots of people.

I had my phone for weeks before I tried to paste so I had the problem and didn't even know it.

So, give it a try: can you copy/paste ok?

Thanks for checking,
    Mike
    08-03-2012 01:39 PM
    i can paste fine but cant seem to copy on firefox browser
    08-03-2012 01:57 PM
    I just copied and pasted something to another thread a few mins ago, mines is working fine.
    I use Swype beta keyboard

~Jae, Tap'n on my White Samsung Galaxy S3~
    08-03-2012 03:31 PM
    i really doubt its a keyboard issue
    08-03-2012 03:33 PM
    I have no problem with cut, copy or paste and i also use SwiftKey.

I have no problem with cut, copy or paste and i also use SwiftKey. I just wrote this post. Copied and pasted it for ya.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    08-03-2012 04:02 PM
    No problems with Swype.
    08-03-2012 04:10 PM
    No problems here copying or pasting. Currently on ICS keyboard.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    08-03-2012 04:10 PM
    Been copying n pasting since day 1

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    08-03-2012 04:17 PM
    Hey, just ran into this problem as well . Except I'm not using SwiftKey, never installed it. I did have the Jelly Bean keyboard installed but getting rid of it hasn't helped.

also the symptoms are a little different for me. Copying sometimes appears to work but pasting sometimes pops up the word clipboard or sometimes it just doesn't do anything. Also copying sometimes just crashes the app altogether.

just had the bright idea to submit a crash report and it's crashing with a null pointer exception on line 146 of ClipboardManager.java. so the inability to paste is probably because nothing is getting copied in the first place. thus no paste option is available because there's nothing in the clipboard.

I know for a fact I have copy/pasted in the past, but I'm not sure when it stopped working. I've uninstalled a bunch of apps to no avail. gonna go thru the system logs but I've a feeling I'm gonna spend the weekend resetting the phone and starting from scratch.
    08-03-2012 07:33 PM
    Found a few folks on xda-developers who ran into this as well. Factory reset was the only way for them to fix it. boo.
    08-03-2012 07:45 PM
    I agree! There's gotta be a solution other than factory reset. Btw, my symptoms identical to above. Sometimes says clipboard, usually no word. Damn.
    08-03-2012 07:54 PM
    try using the ClipIT app. basicly when u copy something, the app gives u the option to save it but u can save unlimited items and then access them from the notification bar in any app to paste them. hope it helps the problem
    08-03-2012 07:58 PM
    Awesome suggestion and great app!

Interestingly, the long press to paste is broken in clipit as well
    08-03-2012 08:10 PM
    Awesome suggestion and great app!

Interestingly, the long press to paste is broken in clipit as well
    yeah i suppose it relies on the phones native paste options so if thats broken, then clipit wont work. clipit is a great app but doeset really fix the bug youre having guys sorry
    08-03-2012 08:17 PM
    So there's a solution here: http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...clipboard.html

but it involves rooting and then deleting /data/clipboard/*. Sounds like maybe there's a corrupt file in there or something. I think I'd rather just factory reset honestly.
    08-03-2012 09:28 PM
    yeah id just back the phone up and try a factory reset. is everyone with the problem using the same carrier? my s3 is a sim-free international one so has no carrier software on it and paste works fine so im wondering if its the carrier firmware causing the bug..
    08-03-2012 09:36 PM
    Mine is an AT&T but I've seen reports from international folks as well and 1 or 2 from a galaxy s 2 so it sounds more like a general Samsung bug. Haven't seen reports from any other manufacturers.

I've installed about half a dozen clipboard cleaners and all crash trying to clear the clipboard. I guess next step will be to see if there's a way to clear the directory via PC without rooting.
    08-03-2012 09:48 PM
    man thats annoying eh. i dont copy and paste much but its something that would really niggle me if it was missing
    08-03-2012 09:56 PM
    Fix - http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=195268

Sent from my rooted/stock Samsung Galaxy SIII using Android Central Forums
    icwhatudidthere likes this.
    08-03-2012 10:35 PM
    Thanks for the thread.

It appears from that that my random crashes of test service is related to the paste problem.

Interesting
    08-03-2012 10:40 PM
    Thx. Shame though sine I don't want to root and lose access to a few media apps.
    08-03-2012 10:42 PM
    What's the most likely scenario where this gets fixed assuming I don't root?

Does Samsung read these threads or am I supposed to open a support ticket with them?
    08-03-2012 11:30 PM
    Using Swiftkey 3 here and no problems copying and pasting, Though, there is indeed a problem in that I only have the last copy in memory available unless I use the Samsung apps, which in that instance I get the ability to see the *entire* clipboard history, With my Droid 2 everytime I went to paste I had the option of either "Paste" or "Paste from Clipboard" or something to that affect which would then show me my entire copy history store under the clipboard. I only get that option now using Samsung apps in the S3. All other apps, like my K-9 email, only give me the straightforward "Paste" option.

Rev.
    08-03-2012 11:35 PM
    Thx. Shame though sine I don't want to root and lose access to a few media apps.
    What's the most likely scenario where this gets fixed assuming I don't root?

Does Samsung read these threads or am I supposed to open a support ticket with them?
    The only sure fire way to fix it without rooting is to factory restore. Sorry dudes.

Sent from my rooted/stock Samsung Galaxy SIII using Android Central Forums
    08-04-2012 12:04 AM
    I don't like reset option because I would probably install the same apps and do the same settings and break it all over again.
    08-04-2012 01:01 AM
26 12