Galaxy S3 keeps freezing. help!

KrisC123

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi, when my friend is using her GS3, upon opening up some apps, her phone would freeze and the screen would turn off as if the phone is restarting. The phone would then start up at the lock screen.
would anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it? or is anyone else experiencing this?

KrisC123

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The screen turns off and goes back to the lock screen. the animations from a reboot dont come up but it starts up at the lock screen like she had just switched her phone on

r3ddawn

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
does this happen only on certain apps? is the phone stock, meaning no kinds of modifications made, nothing removed, rooted, etc? try to see if you can replicate the problem and take note of what exactly is done, to get the problem to show up and then post back..

LadiJae

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Mines was doing that. I had to clear the cache for touchwiz. And it's never happened again so far

If she does that she'll have to redo her screens again though.

~Jae, Tap'n on my White Samsung Galaxy S3~

Reactions: KrisC123

KrisC123

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
thanks LadiJae :) ill get her to do that, also ill get her to take note of when it happens :) thanks for the help. ill post back if this helps

mikecico

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
So, by clearing the TW cache, you mean from the stock App manager?

I had my original S3 replaced because of this. The new one just locked up last night. The only problem for me when this occurs is that I have a small window when the UI resets to get into the settings and do that. I've had to wipe my phone a good half dozen times in the past 2 months, between the original and replacement phones.

Would a 3rd party launcher fix this?

austinography

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I was having a similar issue and posted about it here a week ago. I ended up swapping my S3 b/c of it, then as I configured the new one to how I had the old one, it began to happen again. But, through process of elimination this time I was able to figure out what was crashing things. I had enabled some of the lock screen voice commands for unlocking, launching camera, etc. in the S-Voice program, but then I disabled S-Voice b/c I do not like it. This seemed to be what was causing the crashes for me.

K00l Br33z3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem. Mine is rooted. I've had to restart it 2 or more times daily. I just made some changes in Juice Defender and froze some apps in TB. Now I can't use my phone at all.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem. Mine is rooted. I've had to restart it 2 or more times daily. I just made some changes in Juice Defender and froze some apps in TB. Now I can't use my phone at all.

Uninstall JD

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i have the same problem! but i have no idea what a touchwiz or a stock app manager is :S
can anyone help me out lol

Touchwiz is in basic terms, samsungs version of android... its their operating system.
The stock app manager is when you long press home button, youll see a load of recent apps you can flick between.
If you tap the bottom left icon on that screen and select RAM at the top, then press "clear", it will close all apps that are running :)

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Touchwiz is in basic terms, samsungs version of android... its their operating system.

No, no, no. That is simply not even close to accurate. Android is still the OS. Touchwiz is 1) a user interface layer on top of Android (e.g., a Launcher) and 2) a set up enhancements built on top of, and sometimes integrated into, Android. But by no stretch of the imagination does Touchwiz do the things an operating system does.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You're going to have to give us some information to work with, here.

What version of the phone (Verizon, AT&T, international....)?
How long have you had the phone? Did this just start happening, or has been a problem since the phone was new?
What (if any) apps do you have installed? What apps or configuration changes did you make before it started freezing?
Does it typically freeze when you're in a certain app? Of does it freeze even if you just turn the phone on and let it sit there, doing nothing?
Does it freeze when you're connected to WiFi, or cellular data, or both?
Describe exactly what happens when it freezes. Is it touch input that stops working, or does whatever is happening on the screen stop working? If someone calls you while the phone is frozen, does it ring? Can you answer?
Do you have an SD card inserted? A SIM card?
What do you do to restart it?

Any other details you can give us may make it possible to help you. But right now we simply have nothing to go on.

Nick van Breda

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a screenfreeze when I use the phone alot, no matter what apps i got opened. It happens more often with WIFI turned on (like every minute some days) but it also freezes on startup before even entering the simcard pincode. I called samsung helpdesk and they told me to do a systemreset and if that doesn't work you can go to a service centre to let it repair free of charge since it has something to do with the chip inside then. There happens to be a bad chip in some of the Galaxy s3's which with automaticly after 150-200 days of using starts with these problems and slowing down the phone.

Other options that worked a bit are: Clear Cache, Enable USB-mistakes searcher, reinstalling the apps u download in the last 2 weeks and reinstalling apps that often eccour problems which shuts down the app. (Apps like: Facebook, Whatsapp etc.)

Another option might be clearing some space on the phone, make sure the internal SD drive has over 1 GB of space left to avoid slowing downs and avoid using battery saving mode can help also.