Has Zens beat Samsung to releasing the wireless charging kit?

gordonzhao

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
So as many know, when the the S3 was announced Samsung promised wireless inductive charging. Samsung has still yet to release it, but it looks like a 3rd party company may beat Samsung to the punch. Zens (www.makezens.com) will be releasing the wireless inductive charging kit next month. In case there is some confusion between this and the Verizon version which I know many are going to say, "I already have one." Verizon'a version is basically like how powermats work. Whereas this is true wireless charging. Meaning the phone doesn't have to make contact to charge, but of course it must be within a certain proximity of the charging pad.

Now here's the debate for myself, wait for Sammy to release the official equipment or go with the Zens?

One of the blogs I found the Zens info is here if you want to read. ( www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Gal...its-now-arriving-at-Verizon-stores_id32992#1- )

Let's keep this thread going with updates and your opinions on which route you're going with, wait for Sammy it get the 3rd party charging kit from Zens.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Do these wireless chargers work with a case on the phone? Does it make the phone thicker?

...sent from Infinity

gordonzhao

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
In theory, they should, with a thicker case on the phone may have to be closer but plastic shouldn't cause too much interference. From the speech Samsung gave when they released the phone it didn't appear significant if any added thickness.

I haven't looked into it too much so what I said is all a hypothesis, though if data found to support or argue what I stated please feel free to correct me.

gordonzhao

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
The case issue is my only apprehension

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III on T-Mobile! goodbye Sprint!

In theory it should not affect the charging as the back cover is plastic (replacement will probably be as well) and a case will also be but just thicker. So I'm not too afraid of that.

walcolm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
How's this different from the apple patented wireless charging?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

gordonzhao

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
How's this different from the apple patented wireless charging?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

From what I can tell Samsung has began or 'has already' implemented this on their device, the S III. Apple is sitting on a patent. And of course, to date, none of the Apple devices are wireless inductive charging ready. A separate 'backdoor' must be added and connected to the charging port for this to go into effect, maybe with the iPhone 5 it'll be implemented.

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Where does the "in close proximity" come from? The instructions on the Zens site mention placing the phone 'on the pad' just that it doesn't have to be in an exact position.

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
With the palm pre the replacement back with the charging coil didn't add any significant thickness. I believe the pad that Samsung and/or zens envisions uses a larger transmitting coil allowing the phone not to have to be exactly centered, although I suspect that the more closely centered in the field the more efficient the transfer of energy and the faster the charge (I could be wrong on that).

With the Palm, any case of significant thickness rendered charging unworkable. I believe that Samsung was talking within 2-3 cm, again possibly because of the larger transmitting coil?

What I am really interested in finding out is if the coil in a Palm touchstone will drive the coil in the zens back enough to charge the Samsung.

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand this one has multiple coils, creating a 'proximity' area as in not placed in an exact position, but the charging case still has to make direct contact with the pad. Definitely an improvement over previous charging pads, but not leaps and bounds. It will be interesting to see this tech grow over the next few years, for sure.

gordonzhao

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand this one has multiple coils, creating a 'proximity' area as in not placed in an exact position, but the charging case still has to make direct contact with the pad. Definitely an improvement over previous charging pads, but not leaps and bounds. It will be interesting to see this tech grow over the next few years, for sure.

I can't remember the source but I recall this next gen of wireless inductive charging offers charging without having to make physical contact.

Sent from my htc_jewel using Tapatalk 2

walcolm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
How is it different than any other inductive charging system (razors/toothbrushes/etc) ?

let me rephrase that and i think @gordonzhao understood what i was implying with the question...

is this another grounds for apple to attack Samsung with a patent suit?

gordonzhao

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I did and did not. It sounded very fanboy-esque

Let's home Apple doesn't sue the state of Washington for using their name and selling a product.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
let me rephrase that and i think @gordonzhao understood what i was implying with the question...

is this another grounds for apple to attack Samsung with a patent suit?

Inductive charging has been around for quite some time in a variety of devices. Possibly it's most widespread use in cell phones was in the now defunct Palm WebOS devices. I think there is plenty of prior art that would prevent Apple from claiming infringement unless it very specifically copies Apple. The Apple patent very narrowly defines a inductive charging system in a dock with one or more re-radiating antennae to improve reception of the device while in the dock. :-\

Further there are other patents issued prior to Apple's patents describing something more in line with the Zens charger.

Reactions: gordonzhao

gordonzhao

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Inductive charging has been around for quite some time in a variety of devices. Possibly it's most widespread use in cell phones was in the now defunct Palm WebOS devices. I think there is plenty of prior art that would prevent Apple from claiming infringement unless it very specifically copies Apple. The Apple patent very narrowly defines a inductive charging system in a dock with one or more re-radiating antennae to improve reception of the device while in the dock. :-\

Further there are other patents issued prior to Apple's patents describing something more in line with the Zens charger.

Yep, Apple can't have it all. Or win them all for that matter but they sure as hell will try.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781