I have got my first andriod and samsung phone and i find a few things that bug me. Im just wondering whether i can get any help with them.

*Pre installed apps. Are they really important to the phone? Can they be uninstalled? And how to uninstall them?

I have downloaded a task manager widget (quicker than holding down the home button)to kill some of these apps that are in the background but they just pop up again.Even if i use the home button to get to the task manager.

*Contacts. How do you assign a tone message to a contact if that is possible? I Know you can assign a ring tone to a contact.
    How do you sync for example,facebook photos,to your contacts WITHOUT syncing the whole of your fb friends to your contact list?

Its just these few things that i was used to with a blackberry before i got the s3. Do i need to install 3rd party apps?

*notifications. Do you only recieve notifications in the bar at the top of the screen or is there a way to actually have a notification ion the app itself? All again this is what i have been used to previously.

*network. I only seem to be able to get 4 bars in certain places.Its always 1 or 2 bars at the most. Could be a sim problem? Im on o2-UK

Any help would be brilliant!
    Thanks
    08-05-2012 05:58 AM
    You can disable an app by going to Settings, Applications, select the app you want and disable it. You may have to uninstall updates to some apps before being able to disable them. They won't bother you anymore but they can always be re-enabled if you change your mind.
    08-05-2012 07:01 AM
    As Robrecht has already stated you can disable most of the bloatware in ICS which is a nice addition.

With your contacts you have to make sure that when syncing Facebook that select only sync with current contact list and that will prevent you from getting a bunch of junk in your contacts.

Not sure about the notification on the app i have not looked for a setting that does this. I have noticed that some applications will do this by default. The stock messaging app comes to mind.

Reception is a touchy subject and one of many heated discussion. I will tell you how I feel about it. Due to the way ICS reports signal, I have Verizon's LTE here and it reports 4G and 3G signal separately So even though i may only have 2 bars of 4g my 3g is 4 bars but i can't see it in the notification bar. So I don't care about the number of bars my phone shows as long as it works and i have no problems with dropped calls or data so i can't complain. I am not sure how this works for you across the pond maybe someone else can shed some light there.

The s3 is a great device. You really have to play around with it and hit the forums and Google hard to learn the ins and outs of Android especially if you are coming from a different OS. The more I learn the more impressed I become with the power and flexibility of the Android environment. Its come along in leaps and bounds. Not to mention the horsepower of this phone really helps things along.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    08-05-2012 07:14 AM
    o2 are terrible m8. i moved to 3 (15qid a month for 1000txts,300mins and unlimited data) the data is a lot faster than on o2. u should check out the coverage in ur area. did u get lots of o2 bloat (preinstalled apps) or is it the samsung crap? disable anythin thats visible in the app drawer that u dont like
    08-05-2012 10:55 AM
    I have downloaded a task manager widget (quicker than holding down the home button)to kill some of these apps that are in the background but they just pop up again.Even if i use the home button to get to the task manager.
    Well, first of all, what task "manager" is it? Is it a manager or a task killer (I'm guessing it's a task killer based on your description that you use it to kill apps). Task killers aren't really needed and haven't been for a long time. I wouldn't use one. Secondly, of course they will pop back up in memory. That's how devices work nowadays (why have a bunch of memory sitting around empty not doing anything?)

Seriously though, you should lose that.
    08-05-2012 11:38 AM
    yeah i havent needed a task killey for years. android handles its memory well and u have 1gb of ram to play with. you can limit background processes in developer options setting though
    08-05-2012 11:59 AM
    Yea I got mine as an upgrade from carphone warehouse. So the phone isn't locked to a network. Its just frustrating when I had full signal on a bb in the same place but with this phone I don't. Also I have noticed that it isn't as quick as I thought it would be. I will give it a few more days to see of reception improves.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    08-05-2012 12:03 PM
    Yea it is just a task killer. Just a simpler way than holding down the home menu. Just lazy haha. I will get rid of it and see what happens. thanks for your help

08-05-2012 12:05 PM
    Yea it is just a task killer. Just a simpler way than holding down the home menu. Just lazy haha. I will get rid of it and see what happens. thanks for your help

You don't really need a task killer on Android. And it won't help much as some apps will just come back on. Those are the ones you want to consider disabling, if you don't want them on in the background. Some apps you may want to have on, eg, Skype, but good apps will let you turn background activity on & off.

Thanks, Robrecht
    08-05-2012 12:50 PM
    I have got my first andriod and samsung phone and i find a few things that bug me. Im just wondering whether i can get any help with them.

*Pre installed apps. Are they really important to the phone? Can they be uninstalled? And how to uninstall them?

*Contacts. How do you assign a tone message to a contact if that is possible? I Know you can assign a ring tone to a contact.
    How do you sync for example,facebook photos,to your contacts WITHOUT syncing the whole of your fb friends to your contact list?

Its just these few things that i was used to with a blackberry before i got the s3. Do i need to install 3rd party apps?

*notifications. Do you only recieve notifications in the bar at the top of the screen or is there a way to actually have a notification ion the app itself? All again this is what i have been used to previously.

*network. I only seem to be able to get 4 bars in certain places.Its always 1 or 2 bars at the most. Could be a sim problem? Im on o2-UK

Any help would be brilliant!
    Thanks
    for notificatio on the app icon u can use Go Launcher EX and download the Notification plug-in
    08-05-2012 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD