Data Watch

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I only got my s3 last friday and i have just looked at my data plan,which is 1gb.
To my dissapointment i have only 250mb left! I have hardly downloaded anything,watched a couple of vids,downloaded a few songs and tried out bbc iplayer. Then mainly used my wifi when i need to do anything else.
So how could i of used so much in so little time? I dunno if i am doing anything wrong or not shutting apps down etc properly.
I have an app called 3g watchdog.I cant seem to put in the correct date for when my data carries over.
Is 1gb of data enough for this type of phone?

mctl

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Under Settings > Data Usage, you can see what's eating away your data plan.
Just select the period and you'll see how much which app is downloading.
1 GB seems a little low if you're an intensive user, my own monthly usage is a little under 5 GB but I have twice as much on wifi at home :)

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Are you on a single plan? If so they still have the 3gig option! I got my phone 3 months ago as a new user and I picked the 3gig plan with 450 minutes and unlimited texting. With a 15% discount I pay $97.38 a month!

What plan are you on? Does the cost compare to mine at all? I'd look at your plan options. They also can be changed at anytime! Just call 611 or you can do it online by logging into your account.

PS. This reply will only mean anything if your on att. I am guessing your Verizon though? If so I return it! Just my take on things.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
get in the habit of switching mobile data or sync off in the notification bar toggles while ur not on wifi and disabling background data use in apps that dont really need it mate

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
....are u in the UK btw? i thought iplayer was only available here as we're forced to (although i dont) pay a nazi tv license..

LadiJae

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I have the 3gb and never come close....what am I doing wrong lol

~Jae, Tap'n on my White Samsung Galaxy S3~

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I've used 4GB in less than a month. This is why I laughed when the Verizon people referred to the capped plan and said "you only use 1GB". Yeah on the 3g Palm phone I was using. Never mind that their capped plan would be more expensive than my unlimited.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I only got my s3 last friday and i have just looked at my data plan,which is 1gb.
To my dissapointment i have only 250mb left! I have hardly downloaded anything,watched a couple of vids,downloaded a few songs and tried out bbc iplayer. Then mainly used my wifi when i need to do anything else.
So how could i of used so much in so little time? I dunno if i am doing anything wrong or not shutting apps down etc properly.
I have an app called 3g watchdog.I cant seem to put in the correct date for when my data carries over.
Is 1gb of data enough for this type of phone?

Go into the Android settings and choose the data section (where you see the graph showing your data consumption). If you scroll down it will show you what app is doing what.

When you were watching your videos... were you looking at them in HD (or high quality)? High quality videos tend to take up a LOT of data. That's why the YouTube app by default loads videos in a lower resolution when you are not on wifi.

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I live in the UK and i am on the o2 network. My plan is unlimted texts and calls with 1gb of data. I say i am a very low to average user. Not really into gaming or watching films etc. Odd ocaisoin while i am out i look for a you tube video but otherwise i use my ipad while i am at home. Though i do use Facebook and twitter etc.
I have looked at the graph for data useage. Facebook is top one with 123mb. Google play store is 113mb iplayer is on 11.37mb.
iplayer will probably never use. i just wanted to try it out and see what the quality was like so i will uninstall that.
I have noticed that Chat on and flipboard is showing up but i have disabled them.
I am still new to this phone so getting to grips with this is a slow process. So this forum is helping me learn new things.
I also talked to my provider about it and they have said that i am still on 500mb and i will get the 1gb on 9th august. They also said i wont be charged for going over my limit but i will see a reduction in speed when d/l or on the internet. Which explains alot.

So in hindsight,when i go to an app in the data useage.i click on a certain app,scroll down to the restrict background data and tick the box. That would then stop the app from eating away at my mobile data?
Thanks for your help guys :D

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
You can survive with 1gb if you only need/use email and maps.
I have 2gb but only used 1gb last cycle from email, maps, fb, occasional youtube.
Better to be safe I suppose.

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
You can survive with 1gb if you only need/use email and maps.
I have 2gb but only used 1gb last cycle from email, maps, fb, occasional youtube.
Better to be safe I suppose.

As i mentioned,my provider have said that i am on an 500mb plan until the 9th august so i wont be able to reveiw it properly until september.
I dont really use maps,so i may just disable that. My email i have set to check manually. FB is a saver as if i am bored at work i use that a lot and i check twitter now and again. Very few time i have used you tube on my mobile data other wise i swtich to wifi.
Another thing i find,is that all providers recommend we use wifi as much as possible. So in that case they have us by the balls as we are paying a lot for data! grrrrr

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante