11-15-2012 05:58 AM
53 123
tools
    Nope - Loose cargo shorts. Sucks bad...

Even if it is a bad batch highly doubt they're going to help anyone out. Anyone else having this issue? I've dropped and broken 3 three phones but there was always a reason - never random.
    I also have had my screen crack. I was sitting at my desk setting up the kies air. The phone fell from my thigh to the floor. 21" to be exact. The crack is from the top left corner then belly's out about a 1/2" then 3/4 of the way down ,then curves back to the left edge. The phone still operates fine, and do love the phone.

From what I`ve read there mabey and issue within the midframe of the phone. The phone imo, doesn`t have enough flex. Watching the corning video shows the flexability of the glass.
    Really its not the size of the screen, if anything the larger the screen the more this glass should be able to flex. I believe this phone has the glass so restrained the smallest impact or flex within a pocket is to much for the glass. For those that the phone didn`t crack you may have been lucky or some phone mabey assembled from different material lots allowing for some extra flex. This is my opinion once again.

I`ve had no luck with samsung or at&t who I`ve been with since 1998.

I have insurance, but it would be the same price to send it to samsung. I am leaning towards samsung only cause I`m sure they have a fix for this problem that they wont admit.
    08-07-2012 12:46 PM
    Update - New S3 will be here tomorrow (don't know if its new or refurb - doubt there are many refurbs as the phone is so new). $99.00 asurion thru verizon. Forgot to take a pic last night - will tonight.

I'm 100% sure it was not cracked when i put it in my pocket. The last thing I did was arm my security system and put it in my pocket then got in the car.

What case does everyone recommend?
    08-07-2012 12:52 PM
    When you put the phone in your pocket, was it in your pocket with the screen facing your leg or not? I always put it in my pocket facing my leg just in case I graze something accidentally.

I am using a SGP Ultra nano with an all black Acase, BEST CASE FOR THE S3 HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!
    08-07-2012 01:19 PM
    @Bier i think ur right about the phone being too stiff, think theyve tried hard to get rid of that "samsung feel" and its made the phone too stiff to absorb shocks
    08-07-2012 01:44 PM
    From the Corning GG webpage, "Gorilla Glass features exceptional damage resistance to the scratches, drops, and bumps of everyday use"

They even have a damage by dynamic impact pdf on their page.

Of course drops are quite likely to crack the glass, just pointing out that the strengthening is not just for scratch resistance.

Rev.
    Correct, but the website will tell you anything just to sell the product.
    08-07-2012 02:01 PM
    @Bier i think ur right about the phone being too stiff, think theyve tried hard to get rid of that "samsung feel" and its made the phone too stiff to absorb shocks
    The only other reason I can think of is that its possible that the properties of the glass were improper, allowing the end process of the glass to be hardened. 1 batch properties good 1 batch bad. Quality control issue. That would be the difference it some phones taking a hit while others can`t be sneezed on. (over exaggerated of course)
    08-07-2012 02:11 PM
    The only other reason I can think of is that its possible that the properties of the glass were improper, allowing the end process of the glass to be hardened. 1 batch properties good 1 batch bad. Quality control issue. That would be the difference it some phones taking a hit while others can`t be sneezed on. (over exaggerated of course)
    yeah i definately think theres at least two different standards of the glass on s3's when it comes to scratch resistance (have u read the gorilla glass2 thread on here?) so there could be the same issue with brittleness. samsung would never admit that though
    08-07-2012 02:41 PM
    Oh yea and BTW - i've changed several cracked screens in my day - this one is $249.00 for the glass and digitizer... supply and demand...
    Damn, that's pricy! I can get a new glass and digitizer as well as back glass for an iPhone 4/4S for less than $100 and in colors. You'd think it would be cheaper but I guess not.
    08-07-2012 03:23 PM
    Damn, that's pricy! I can get a new glass and digitizer as well as back glass for an iPhone 4/4S for less than $100 and in colors. You'd think it would be cheaper but I guess not.
    id guess the price will come down as more and more screens get damaged
    08-07-2012 05:08 PM
    Not likley, they have a lawsuit to pay for......lol
    08-07-2012 05:16 PM
    lol they havent lost yet have they?
    08-07-2012 05:39 PM
    damn.. screen cracked just because you put them in your pocket?? from what i've been reading so far, the gorilla glass seems even weaker than most other glass....
    08-07-2012 05:47 PM
    Check this out...

sent from my badazz sammy s3
    ApproachShot likes this.
    08-07-2012 05:52 PM
    Thats the toughness I thought I was gonna get.

I do believe from the freezing to excessive temperature allowed that phone to have a greater chance of survival. The funny thing is that I received no such addendum with my phone. Dam packaging department. If I had a extra grand I would buy 2 phones from the same place torture 1 the way she did and just drop the other. My money is on the tortured phone.
    08-07-2012 06:20 PM
    Id never do any of that to my phone...but i thought it would be cool for people to see...im screen protected and otterbox protected!!!

sent from my badazz sammy s3
    08-07-2012 06:50 PM
    Got my replacement today - how do you determine new vs refurb? Nothing says either way inside.
    08-08-2012 10:16 AM
    that was quick man. umm i dunno, does it look brand new?
    08-08-2012 10:40 AM
    Yup - free overnight shipping, no idea why.

Looks brand new. Hard to tell...
    08-08-2012 10:54 AM
    thats good. ive heard terrible storys about people returning htc one x and getting obviously used replacements. a lot of them have sold it and went for an s3 instead. so are u paranoid now of it breaking again? i think it was maybe just one of those freak things. we should be able to put a phone in our pocket without worying about it
    08-08-2012 11:24 AM
    Damn... I feel your pain. I have been putting off putting on my screen protector. I do have a case on the phone, pretty slimline though but it works for me. I think when I get home tonight I just might put it on haha!!

I too have put my phone in my pocket (large pockets for work pants, but I think from now on, unless they are baggy as hell, not going to do it. Sometimes the stress on materials from sitting position can pull material tight and cause such things. Especially for a phone with such a slim and large real estate screen!

If mine breaks, I am hooped too. I don't have phone insurance. I did get replacement from FutureShop, but they don't cover any accidental damage.....
    08-08-2012 12:16 PM
    lol i keep meaning to insure mine but like usual, il probably wait til the phone is lost/stolen/broken, insure it, make a fake police report, and claim it lol. this phone cost me (well my fiance) 600 (about $900?) so its like the most expensive thing i own lol
    08-08-2012 12:27 PM
    Could it be that there was just too much pressure from you sitting down etc? The phone is thin, and so sitting down, there is pressure from your stomach area and on the other end, the end of the pocket pushes back etc.

I've dropped it from a 3 foot height, no case, and aside from several dents, the screen didn't crack at all.
    08-09-2012 05:57 AM
    It's really hard to compare results of individual accidental drops or other mishaps without some kind of controlled testing like robotic motion controlled torture. I see people in battery threads constantly swapping tales of usage numbers without any consideration of all the variables associated with power consumption.

Can you imagine the uproar in the forums if the screen was poly carb and the body was flexible? I agree with the folks admitting that glass will be glass and that you're not supposed to drop your phone. Ever. The pocket cracker is a bit of a mystery but I bet it was some kind of fluke torsion or bending force. No one will ever know.

All that said I do understand the frustration and would be looking for answers too

S3 on Sprint - 16gb pebble blue + 64
    08-09-2012 06:27 AM
    Afraid of this happening to me too! I went to a "CPR Cell Phone Repair" store in my neighborhood, and they sold me an 'insurance' type plan for $30/yr!! If I have any accidental damage they will fix it for me for a $25 deductible. NOT a bad deal at all. Read a previous poster say that the digitizer/screen would cost me like $250 to replace! So I have a case, a screen protector... and extra Peace of Mind with this new insurance plan!!
    08-09-2012 12:07 PM
    Gents:

The new phone is DEF new. They sent a brand new box with battery, samsung headphones, charger, new sim, etc. The message for asurion activation and return said "Retain all accessories including battery, charge, etc." So in addition to a brand new s3 i got a backup batter, an extra set of head phones, and another charger to add to my collection.

Went to otterbox.com - $50. Went to newegg - $30.00. Overnighted the thing for $15 bucks and I'm fully protected.

If you don't have insurance you're playing russian roulette. It's like driving around a new car - you're old one will never see any dings or dents but the first time out in your new one and 5 people will pull out in front of you.

Also now that I have the otterbox defender i'll never have a phone w/o one. It's easier to hold (more grip), has a built in screen protector, and feels as solid as a tank. Appreciate the suggestion on that one!

Started thinking about why I got a new one - the only thing I can figure is not enough people have broken then yet for a full stock of refurbs. If you're going to break it then hurry and do it before they gain refurb stock! lol
    08-10-2012 10:03 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD