11-15-2012 06:58 AM
53 123
tools
    So have my new SIII - amazing phone. Saturday wife and I are heading to best buy (coincidentally to buy an otter box for my SIII and some other things..). Put the phone in my pocket, drive to best buy, get out of car and pull phone out of my pocket to check a text or email I got - Screen cracked. Unbelievable.

Called our verizon rep and nothing they will do. $100 bucks to asurion is my only option.

A. BUY A CASE
    B. Don't put it in your pocket and def dont drop it.
    C. Raped by Verizon again (Yea i know not a verizon issue - still pissed...)

Just an FYI for new owners. Honestly though besides the crack the phone is awesome.
    08-06-2012 09:15 AM
    Oh yea and BTW - i've changed several cracked screens in my day - this one is $249.00 for the glass and digitizer... supply and demand...
    08-06-2012 09:17 AM
    sorry to hear that man. was it really tight jeans? maybe theres a bad batch of glass?
    08-06-2012 09:47 AM
    Nope - Loose cargo shorts. Sucks bad...

Even if it is a bad batch highly doubt they're going to help anyone out. Anyone else having this issue? I've dropped and broken 3 three phones but there was always a reason - never random.
    08-06-2012 10:18 AM
    id be angry man. ive heard of people on here getting scratches easily but never a crack. does it make it really unuseable?
    08-06-2012 10:29 AM
    No it's 100% usable - the bottom chips are a little rough (like texture) but the cracks don't feel like they came clear to the surface. I'll post a pic tonight sometime.
    08-06-2012 10:38 AM
    ouch man on a plus side, have u seee any water-drop tests on youtube? the phone handles water well plus its just too wide to fit in a pint beer glass (definately a bonus)
    08-06-2012 10:52 AM
    That's enough to make an s 3 owner sad. This was actually 1 of my concerns before buying this phone due to the thIn profile and length. So you felt like there was no pressure put on the phone in your pocket? Was there anything else in your pocket? Are my questions getting creepy? Seriously though I'm just curious from an engineering standpoint. Were you using a case?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    08-06-2012 11:00 AM
    ^creepy^ lol
    08-06-2012 11:13 AM
    Really sad man. That sucks... I always wear tight jeans and my phone on front pocket. Never had such bad luck..
    08-06-2012 11:14 AM
    Probably creepy but makes sense for this post lol

Keys and usb drive in right pocket, Phone in left ALONE in the left - typically the way I roll...

My cars an automatic so not like I was using a clutch or something with the left foot. 15 minute drive. As far as I can recall no "unusual" stress in my pocket. If I put the thing in my left pocket again and move around alittle while seated I could see how there could be SOME stress but nothing any of my other phones haven't endured for years. Don't wanna be an old man and rock it in a holster either... forgive me if you're reading this and are one of them...
    08-06-2012 11:35 AM
    It might be worth pursuing a case for defective glass. Corning's web site shows this material (GG2) being bent into a u shape without breaking or cracking. Plus the scenario you described has got to be very common. And you're thinking, :banghead: yeah tell my verizon rep that!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    08-06-2012 11:45 AM
    This is why I love my defender case! I hope they give you a brand new replacement! Let us know what they send you. New or used!
    08-06-2012 11:49 AM
    Probably creepy but makes sense for this post lol

Keys and usb drive in right pocket, Phone in left ALONE in the left - typically the way I roll...

My cars an automatic so not like I was using a clutch or something with the left foot. 15 minute drive. As far as I can recall no "unusual" stress in my pocket. If I put the thing in my left pocket again and move around alittle while seated I could see how there could be SOME stress but nothing any of my other phones haven't endured for years. Don't wanna be an old man and rock it in a holster either... forgive me if you're reading this and are one of them...
    i live in murder capital of western europe lol. you'd never see me walkin around with my phone in a holster
    08-06-2012 12:57 PM
    Pics or it never happened.
    08-06-2012 03:04 PM
    Lol i'll get pics when i get home
    08-06-2012 04:40 PM
    lol itl give us nightmares mate
    08-06-2012 04:45 PM
    Dropped my S3 on the driveway when I was getting out of my car and the screen cracked too. It was barely a 2 foot drop and the darn screen cracked. I have dropped my previous iPhone 4 from waist high and face down and the screen did not even have a scratch on it. The S3 must have some issues with it screen. Sucks alright!!!
    08-06-2012 11:36 PM
    Got mine yesterday, dropped it today on my sidewalk, BARELY 2 and a half feet up... cracked... Sprint sdays $150 deductible... I had just got a new plan, $100 off any smartphone, so i got iphone 8gb, ONLY because it was free, and Sprint bought it back from me for $168, i put that towards S3, so it cost around $47. NOW i gotta pay insurance, so i paid full price in the end anyway.............. And a couple phone repair shops near me can't even fix it, because extra parts aren't easilt available I guess...
    08-07-2012 01:26 AM
    There are many ways things like this could happen. I am curious, however, are you certain that it was not cracked before you got in your vehicle? Could you have brushed a door knob, let someone else use it, went from a walk-in freezer to a really hot day with it in your pocket, lost your temper with the phone nearby, and/or done anything else that could have put any kind of pressure on the screen that could have done any damage? I believe that, if you would like to pursue it, you should talk to Samsung about the issue.
    08-07-2012 01:53 AM
    Sucks!!! Maybe consider a screen skin too next time? I assume it helps hold things together... errr... right?

...sent from Infinity
    08-07-2012 02:45 AM
    Both A and B. How about D for another carrier. Always take my phone, before my Defender case, out of my pocket in the car. Only reason that I ever had it in my pocket was that I had no holster before my Defender. It could have been a defective screen or just too much pressure on from being in your pocket.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device
    08-07-2012 07:23 AM
    Not for anything but I would expect dropping any phone on concrete or a driveway to crack if it lands wrong. The only way to compare strength would be to drop multiple phones the EXACT same way and see what the results are. If I ever crack my screen from dropping the phone on concrete or a driveway I have nothing to blame except my own clumsiness. I do have the Asurion insurance so I'm not too concerned. Deductible is much cheaper than a new phone.
    Additionally Gorilla Glass is only supposed to be scratch resistant, not break resistant.
    Just my thoughts...
    08-07-2012 09:55 AM
    Not for anything but I would expect dropping any phone on concrete or a driveway to crack if it lands wrong. The only way to compare strength would be to drop multiple phones the EXACT same way and see what the results are. If I ever crack my screen from dropping the phone on concrete or a driveway I have nothing to blame except my own clumsiness. I do have the Asurion insurance so I'm not too concerned. Deductible is much cheaper than a new phone.
    Additionally Gorilla Glass is only supposed to be scratch resistant, not break resistant.
    Just my thoughts...
    I don't like phones having gorilla glass, when they can use something more impact resistant than scratch resistant. Most users will put on a screen protector anyways, which makes the scratch resistance useless.
    08-07-2012 10:15 AM
    From the Corning GG webpage, "Gorilla Glass features exceptional damage resistance to the scratches, drops, and bumps of everyday use"

They even have a damage by dynamic impact pdf on their page.

Of course drops are quite likely to crack the glass, just pointing out that the strengthening is not just for scratch resistance.

Rev.
    08-07-2012 11:26 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD