Don't get me wrong: I love ice cream: I eat entirely too much of it.

However, I got to wondering: is newer always better?

I'm the guy with the pasting problem on my S3.
    I'm also helping my boss's boss with the S2 (now upgraded to ICS) which has been a total nightmare: 1. terrible battery drain led to us doing a factory reset, and 2. twice now, here work & personal email accounts vanished, leaving only her gmail account.

A friend's daughter also had the terrible battery drain thing on her G2 upgrade.

So, with all that said, when Jellybean comes to town, should I upgrade to it, of just leave well enough alone with my paste-less S3?

Thanks,
    Mike

PS: I really wish my boss's boss listened to me and got the iphone 4S instead of that Galaxy S2 just 3 short weeks ago - too late to return it now!
    08-06-2012 12:59 PM
    i love ics. my Xperia Arc S came with Gingerbread and then got updated to ICS and i didnt notice any extra battery use. i have a feeling project butter in Jellybean will use more battery though..
    08-06-2012 01:02 PM
    ....having said that, both my Xperia and s3 were unbranded so maybe its a carrier skinning thing?
    08-06-2012 01:03 PM
    Not really fair to blame ICS for Samsung's incompetence with Touchwhiz. All problems you have are related to the horrendous framework Samsung uses. There are very few things in touchwhiz that feel like actual ICS. They basically took their gingerbread version of everything and added some more shiny things and called it a day.
    08-06-2012 03:52 PM
    Yes it was just 6 short months ago everyone was complaining because they could not get their Gingerbread phones upgraded to ICS now most phones have either just shipped with ICS or have just gotten a upgrade to ICS and we want Jelly Bean because it is new and shiny. I agree with the OP. I find the current version of the S3 to be just fine (I do use the Nova launcher) and I can wait for quite a while before really wanting/needing the JB update.

My personal preference would be for Google to space the major updates around a year apart and patch issues with the current release rather than jumping to the next major one.

Mike
    ScandaLeX likes this.
    08-06-2012 04:01 PM
    yeah man most of the world are still on gingerbread. fragmentation is a huge problem for google but its really down to the manufacturers and carriers to keep up i think
    08-06-2012 05:51 PM
    Why's he putting all this on you, and why are you putting all this on us? Lol

If factory restoration is not doing the trick look into SBFing it back to GB, or better yet, flash a basic vanilla ROM on it.

I have no problems with ICS at all and welcome JB with open arms!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    08-06-2012 08:18 PM
    If I get her phone back to gb, is there a way to make it stop nagging her to upgrade?
    08-06-2012 08:22 PM
    I went from Froyo to ICS. I skipped GB because it was awful (my opinion). I absolutely love ICS and think JB will bring minimal enhancements and features. So I am happy with ICS!
    08-06-2012 09:39 PM
    If I get her phone back to gb, is there a way to make it stop nagging her to upgrade?
    Put it on cyanogenmod7.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    08-06-2012 10:12 PM
    I havent had any problems wit my SGS III works great i even silenced a few iphone fanboys wit it lolbs

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    08-07-2012 01:01 AM
    Sorry your having so much trouble. But hey man this is what android is great at. You don't like it? Change it. Root your phone. Go back to an older android. Flash a rom that improves battery. Click it and make it faster. Operating system ugly? Theme it. Missing a feature or have an annoying feature? Add it out remove it. With help from the great geniuses in these and other forms you are sure to be fine. This was my first android phone but you can bet I'm rooted and good to go because of SkunkApe. And jelly bean is going to kick ***
    08-07-2012 03:53 AM
    My s3 has no problems on ics neither do my note, skyrocket, or razr.
    Maby a little bit more battery use but i dont really notice it.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII on Rezurrection Rom and OC using Red Xparent Tapatalk 2
    08-07-2012 04:32 AM
    All good points.

I don't want to root my S3 because I want to use google wallet when it comes out and I don't have the required time right now to get up to speed on rooting. Nor, btw, do I want to invest the time to keep up to date on patches, etc

And don't get me wrong, on my S3, the ONLY gripe is the pasting bug. Otherwise, I completely love it.

And, having switched from sprint to ATT, my downloads are blazingly fast, and the call quality is awesome on the S3!!!

It's my boss's boss with her 3 week old S2 which she got (ignoring my suggestion to spend the extra $100 and get the S3) who is really unhappy.

Mike
    08-07-2012 06:09 AM
    she should have got a gnex man
    08-07-2012 10:09 AM