iBolt Charging Dock for Galaxy S3

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, I just received the iBolt Charging dock for the S3 and thought I would give some impressions to help with your decision:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL5VYiiiTfs

Build quality:
-Plastic, but sturdy. Seems like it will last, all the clips working as they should. Happy with the quality. Had no problem fitting in my phone with a case on. I like that they included separate foam pads to use when taking out the insert to get a cased phone to fit. It's a small detail, but a welcome one.

Installation:
-Putting it together was a breeze, as was installing it in my vehicle (window mount). It does take up a lot of my windshield space, but thats because I have an HHR... not the docks fault.

Function:
-Cord is plenty long enough, I like that it goes into the USB and has a built in AUX OUT cable. This is SUPER important for those that use bluetooth, as it solves the "mute" issue that a lot of people are having. This is a big win for me, as I was pretty upset that I couldnt use bluetooth if I have an AUX OUT cable.

Side note, I had to go into the dock settings and click on "use external speakers" to get it to play out of my stereo, I thought it was the other way around.

Dislikes:

Design
-To use the charger, the home button needs to be on the left, meaning the power button is hidden in the dock. I dont like my phone being on the whole time unless Im using Nav. I would rather be able to access the power button rather than than the volume controls.

.-The built in USB is a little tight. Its a pain to plug in. I imagine this will get a little easier when the cord is used a little more

While sturdy, I find that the mount moves a little bit when snapping the phone in and out. I have had to adjust it a couple different times.

Function
- When plugged in, S Voice immediately launches. I dont like this. I do not want S Voice launching, unless I want to do something. I personally find S Voice useless, and almost never use it. I recomend getting Car Home Ultra as a dock replacement.

Overall, this is my 2nd dock. I have a Mount tek CD mount as well, and so far, I much prefer the iBolt. Given the choices out there currently, I think this is the best option available, and its not too bad of a price.

If any one would like to know anything else, would be happy to answer questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: beh and dmmattix

MARQUISMARC

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
It should be noted that you can rotate the phone so that the power button faces up, and you can plug it in to charge and use aux with the 9 ft cable but dock mode will not launch itself.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Can you explain that part a bit more? What do you mean the dock will not launch itself?

When you plug it in using the built in connection that connects the dock to the phone, it automatically goes into car dock mode and launches s voice.

If you plug it in using the provided 9 ft cable, it doesn't do anything when plugged in.

The cable plugs into the dock to power it, then, the dock plugs into the phone.

The only way to have the power button accessible is to flip the phone in the dock, and plug it in with the cable itself, not using the built in connector

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm wondering how well the mount works with cases? More specifically, something like the Otterbox Defender?

There is an insert that you can remove that will allow for most cases. I'm not an otterbox fan, so I can't comment on if that specific case will fit, however, I believe someone who works for ibolt said that the commuter case would fit, but the defender series would not.

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Can you get it in the UK - looks nice

Not sure, might want to check mobile fun UK?

I suppose you could always import. Though, I think it is worth the $45 I paid, not sure it would be worth the cost plus import fees.

Reactions: alan sh

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am eagerly awaiting this dock. I ordered through VZW, where it was shockingly the best price around. With my corp discount, I got it for $30

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I am eagerly awaiting this dock. I ordered through VZW, where it was shockingly the best price around. With my corp discount, I got it for $30

Definitely worth the $30. I fully expected to see it on VZW for $80+

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Same here. Mine shipped yesterday by First Class US Mail from PA so I expect it tomorrow or Thursday...

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Not sure, might want to check mobile fun UK?

I suppose you could always import. Though, I think it is worth the $45 I paid, not sure it would be worth the cost plus import fees.

Perfect - they have them in stock.

Alan

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Dislikes:

Function
- When plugged in, S Voice immediately launches. I dont like this. I do not want S Voice launching, unless I want to do something. I personally find S Voice useless, and almost never use it. I recomend getting Car Home Ultra as a dock replacement.

Jus heard from iBolt on this issue, and it turns out, Samsung tied dock mode to S Voice, so in order to activate the mode, s voice must be launched as well. I withdraw my criticism on iBolt on this one, as it isnt their fault. Car Home Ultra should still solve the issue though. Perhaps iBolt should partner with someone to create a car dock app to go along with their docks? may be a good investment on their part.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I too am awaiting mine which should be here Friday or Saturday. From the review above I am feeling rather good about this purchase.

tojo152

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Waiting for mine also. I did see that as stated previously the iBolt dock is compatible with the Otterbox Commuter, which I also have ordered. All should be here Friday 8/10.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Got my ibolt car dock today. It looks like it will do the job nicely indeed. I agree with the likes of the first post. I agree that S voice is not a great app and it would be nice to have the option to have google voice started instead. The power button issue isn't as much of a concern as I prefer to have access to the volume control while on the road.
With the nude phone insert removed and the supplied back and bottom corner foam pads installed it holds the S3 in the Rearth slim case and in the Tech 21 slim case perfectly and very securely.

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Got my ibolt car dock today. It looks like it will do the job nicely indeed. I agree with the likes of the first post. I agree that S voice is not a great app and it would be nice to have the option to have google voice started instead. The power button issue isn't as much of a concern as I prefer to have access to the volume control while on the road.
With the nude phone insert removed and the supplied back and bottom corner foam pads installed it holds the S3 in the Rearth slim case and in the Tech 21 slim case perfectly and very securely.

Try car home ultra. Great car dock app, launches instead of s voice when docked

Reactions: beh

Kyle L

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I received mine yesterday... works well and I can confirm it does fit with a commuter. The issue i have noticed is the camera app when opened in the dock while plugged in gives the initial picture upside down before snapping the picture. However once the picture is taken it auto corrects and gives the taken picture right side up. I called ibolt and they said this is a known issue, the work around is to unplug the USB charger and turn the dock 180 degrees upside down, please make sure the dock is seated and locked correctly. Other wise i am very impressed with the dock... very sturdy and love the long cord.