iBolt Charging Dock for Galaxy S3

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
So does this look like it would work with other phones? Ideally I'd like a dock I could use with a future phone, especially since I doubt that future phone would be larger than the S3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
So does this look like it would work with other phones? Ideally I'd like a dock I could use with a future phone, especially since I doubt that future phone would be larger than the S3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Wouldn't see why not, but keep in mind that button placement and the USB plug in spit may be different.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

tojo152

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Waiting for mine also. I did see that as stated previously the iBolt dock is compatible with the Otterbox Commuter, which I also have ordered. All should be here Friday 8/10.

Everything came in yesterday and I spent all night playing with the phone and mounting the dock (I work nights). The mount is pretty solid, the phone fits nicely with the Commuter case. I did experience the issue with the camera and wondered why it did not auto rotate. I'm kind of shocked, but then again not, to hear of the "solution" provided by iBolt.

I called ibolt and they said this is a known issue, the work around is to unplug the USB charger and turn the dock 180 degrees upside down, please make sure the dock is seated and locked correctly.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried using their phone with the iBolt hooked up?
I have used the auxiliary port on my vehicle for various phones in the past and it has worked fine. The iBolt set up does not pipe the phone sound through my car speakers.
It works great for music but the minute I make or receive a call it ends the music and the sound comes through the S3's speaker. I have tried every configuration and cannot make it work.

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried using their phone with the iBolt hooked up?
I have used the auxiliary port on my vehicle for various phones in the past and it has worked fine. The iBolt set up does not pipe the phone sound through my car speakers.
It works great for music but the minute I make or receive a call it ends the music and the sound comes through the S3's speaker. I have tried every configuration and cannot make it work.

Tested yesterday, had no issues. I docked, started podcast through speakers, initiated BT call while podcast was still playing. BT was through speakers, and once hung up, podcast resumed through speakers.

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have been playing with mine for about a week and have had no issues other than the camera rotation thing. I have it paired to a Moto Roadster BT device for all audio (really old car).

In trying to figure out the camera issue, I am guessing it is either a dock issue or Car Home Ultra as the camera rotates fine in my hand. I have the infuse dock as well and it was an issue for me there too.

If anyone is interested in buying my infuse dock, PM me and we can discuss.

The_PLBs

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I really enjoy the dock, but I am getting some ambient noise/feedback/static through the car speakers when playing music on the S3. Is anyone else having that issue?

whammer1249

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I am considering purchasing, but having a 2006 Mazda Tribute, I do not have a 3.5mm car stereo input. Will this dock still be a useful device, or does lacking the ability to utilize the car speakers be too big of a loss?

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I am considering purchasing, but having a 2006 Mazda Tribute, I do not have a 3.5mm car stereo input. Will this dock still be a useful device, or does lacking the ability to utilize the car speakers be too big of a loss?

Seems to me that would be a personal decision. It works fine as a dock and doesn't really muffle the phone speakers.
As a pure dock, I found it to be more sturdy than universal docks, but some people have had issues (myself included) with the dock breaking. Was quickly replaced though, replacement seems to be working fine

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't have an AUX input in my car either but I find the dock invaluable as a way to keep the phone charged while using the GPS and making phone calls using my car's bluetooth.

enzo

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I really enjoy the dock, but I am getting some ambient noise/feedback/static through the car speakers when playing music on the S3. Is anyone else having that issue?

Yes, mine started doing that today. It's even worse if you are touching the screen in any way. It was fine, then all at once it started. The bad thing is I plugged my wife's S3 in and no noise. I hope the iBolt didn't damage my phone.

biyobe

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
anybody else getting horrible feedback when the power is plugged in and the aux cable is plugged in (but while not playing music)? It's unbarable how loud the scretching is until something starts playing sound. Maps/navigation is the worst since I get the feedback constant until the voice tells me to turn. Do they even test these devices?

Oh and about the power button... i've noticed that with the phone docked and in my case, I can just push down on the "top" side of the phone (when cradled) and it is enough to turn on/off display

JohnPA2006

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm wondering how well the mount works with cases? More specifically, something like the Otterbox Defender?

I have read it works only with the Otterbox Commuter,
does NOT work with the Otterbox Defender
(really? really? doesnt work with the otterbox defender, the model 90% of people actually buy)
I just got my S3 and my Otterbox Defender, looks like I need to keep looking.

jimzarry

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I bought the ibolt Charging Dock and could not make it play through the car speakers. I figured that the unit was bad and swapped it at Verizon. Still wouldn't work. Called Verizon - technician said call manufacturer no switches or tweeks on phone to make it work. Googled and got your advice: change settings under dock to use car speakers. Although this was elementary to you, I spent a day puzzling over it, visited the verizon store twice, called verizon once and still would not have solved the problem if I hadn't stumbled on to your review - THANKS!!

Jim Z

kevin5377

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
anybody else getting horrible feedback when the power is plugged in and the aux cable is plugged in (but while not playing music)? It's unbarable how loud the scretching is until something starts playing sound. Maps/navigation is the worst since I get the feedback constant until the voice tells me to turn. Do they even test these devices?

Oh and about the power button... i've noticed that with the phone docked and in my case, I can just push down on the "top" side of the phone (when cradled) and it is enough to turn on/off display

I found I get this when I dock my phone in my desk dock which is hardwired to a Jawbone Jambox. I don't think it's an issue with ibolt, rather, Samsung

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums

Goralns

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I have my in my car and absolutely love it only problem when listen to my music and receive phone call voice didn't get thru my car speakers r but thru phone louder speakers any fix for that?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

marcsledjeski

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I have my in my car and absolutely love it only problem when listen to my music and receive phone call voice didn't get thru my car speakers r but thru phone louder speakers any fix for that?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

I contacted iBolt, and they said the problem is that Samsung designed the phone to function this way because of people using bluetooth devices and there is no way to change it currently. They said they would be looking into it. Don't know if that really means anything though.