Ditch the stock email and get K-9.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Do yourself a favor and ditch the stock email app and download K-9. I was only showing 1 weeks worth of emails or 100 emails in my inbox. Everything else was getting deleted. I rely on email heavily for business and usually receive up to 50-100 emails per day so the stock program was garbage.
So far so good............"And loving it"
normal.jpg

Fuzion0503

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Touchdown supports activesync. Been using it for a year now as our hosted server at work supports activesync. Never had an issue with touchdown, great program if your work uses microsoft exchange as your email provider.

first line in the touchdown support FAQ:

What is TouchDown ?

TouchDown is an Android application which helps you connect to an Exchange server (or another compatible ActiveSync-supported server) and retrieving your emails,contacts, calendars and Tasks.

Last edited:

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Be warned: K-9 is super ugly.

The ICS version of Gmail is great.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but after being limited with my emails on the stock program I can overlook the fugliness ( I am a happy camper right now). Not much in the way of email app selections. I will see how this works and then maybe take a look at Touchdown as well. I was also contemplating using Gmail and doing IMAP.

Do you have a link to the ICS version?

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy with the stock apps. When I had my Droid X I used Enhanced Email because my Moto phone couldn't connect to my work server. Right now I'm happy with what I have. My biggest problem with the stock Exchange app is that even though it syncs tasks it won't do recurring tasks. AND when I complete a recurring task from Outook and mark it complete on the phone it removes the recurrence. Not happy with that at all but I can live with it.

nmoira

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Be warned: K-9 is super ugly.

The ICS version of Gmail is great.

Super ugly, and I gave up with it on my DX after months of waiting for an undo (delete, archive) feature. And threading. It probably has these features now, but I'm liking ICS Gmail.

Sent from my GS3.

strtgng

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Used k9 for the past year, but finally got sick of all the attachments sent to me coming as winmail.dat files. Gmail app works fine other than the stupid conversation view that is forced on you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Fuzion0503

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
The iphone email app is nice, the only problem I have with it, is that if you have lots of folders setup under the inbox folder, there is no way to collapse the folders. They are all left expanded. Though not a bad problem, it just takes longer to go thorugh your email folders, especially if you have alot of them.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Been using K-9 for years now. While it isn't the prettiest it can be setup to look rather nice. You can tweak everything - font size, how many preview lines, whether you want to see the sender name or email, colors, etc. I keep it black, I prefer dark themes and it saves battery life.

I love K-9 but there is one small thing that bugs me about it. I have 3 email accounts and sometimes when I open it and check my mail it seems to hang on "Drafts" even with no drafts there and I've had to force close and restart the app. It's not all the time, happens less often than more, but it's an annoying glitch I wish they'd fix. Not just me either, I've actually seen someone else complain about this exact issue either in their reviews or on a forum, can't recall.

Rev.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The iphone email app is nice, the only problem I have with it, is that if you have lots of folders setup under the inbox folder, there is no way to collapse the folders. They are all left expanded. Though not a bad problem, it just takes longer to go thorugh your email folders, especially if you have alot of them.

Not a bad problem unless you're an attorney at my firm that has been here a long time!! It's a huge issue for some users. I have partners with hundreds of folders. I can't believe Apple design it that you can't collapse the folders. I just tell people to use the search rather than sit there scrolling forever. Also, they design in a "Tap to top" function but no "Tap to bottom"! God I hate Apple.

Rev.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I have used K-9 for years on three different phones and two different OS's. I am going back to the stock email app on my S3 because it uses activesync and does a great job without additional resource overhead.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have used K-9 for years on three different phones and two different OS's. I am going back to the stock email app on my S3 because it uses activesync and does a great job without additional resource overhead.

Are you able to get more than 100 emails to view or 1 weeks worth on the stock email?

dh4321

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Newb still learning this Android OS out...I have 2 questions, one for the stock email client and one for those of you using Touchdown.

1. Stock Email-I'm on exchange server for work email and utilize the active sync on the phone. Works fine with no issues, but if I read an email, but not delete it to read again later for some reason the phone changes the look of the email to one paragraph. If this is a setting I need to adjust, I certainly can't find it. It's annoying and actually fairly hard to read a second time because of the way it changes the look of the email.

2. For that reason above, I read feedback on here and downloaded the trial version of Touchdown to see how it works. Can someone who has TD email tell me how to configure my email signature? It defaults to sent from touchdown email.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Are you able to get more than 100 emails to view or 1 weeks worth on the stock email?

I have no idea. I have emails sent to all my devices as they come into my email servers and take care of them within a few hours. Thus, I never have 100 emails waiting at any one time or a week'w worth either. I leave a copy of every email on my servers and use a pc to do any exhaustive work.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been using K-9 for a few years for multiple POP3 and IMAP accounts. The set up w/other clients would somehow get screwed up for at least one account. Missing mail, duplicate mail, duplicate sent mail folders, delete from server not working, etc. Once configured properly, K-9 syncs everything with the server flawlessly for me, and it offers a bunch of features and customizations per account.

Yeah, the UI is kinda dated, and no ActiveSync support, but it's all good. With a single account, I would use stock or another client. But different clients seem to deal with different protocols and mail server configs differently.(i.e. inconsistently). For me, this has not been an issue with K-9.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc