08-10-2012 05:15 AM
92 1234
tools
    id think something like Now is too deep in the os to be an apk but it would be nice
    08-08-2012 02:49 PM
    I would hope that things like Google Now are important enough to Google to at least provide them as downloads on the Play Store especially if the carriers begin not deploying them.

Mike
    Hopefully your right, i have a nexus so i dont have to worry about this, but it would be nice to see all android devices able to use it. Im hoping it will be just an update to google search once the phone is running JB, or even a download in itself. I just seriously doubt that samsung is going to include it on their ROM considering they probably spent a lot of money developing S-Voice, which is a joke compared to NOW.
    08-08-2012 03:26 PM
    the thing that kills me is that (to me anyway) Now is much more than a voice rec' app, they dont understand me anyway. so it will be really bad if samsung leave it out. hopefuly theyl realise that s-voice was a nice gimmick and leave it at that. or intigrate it and have an s-now feature lol
    08-08-2012 03:32 PM
    id think something like Now is too deep in the os to be an apk but it would be nice
    If it is embedded that deep in the OS then it will probably be difficult for Samsung to remove it without doing some real damage.

Mike

edit: You might be right but it seems as though for Google to continue to monetize the mobile platform they will need something like Google Now. If that is correct it seems like it would be awfully important to Google to get it out there and if so I doubt they would allow Samsung to strip it out.
    08-08-2012 04:18 PM
    oh yes m8 google now is where skynet starts happening.. its when google starts showing us what it learns from us and in turn learns more from us which it can sell but android is free and open source and i dont know if they have any say in which parts of it manufacturers choose to use. the whole skynet thing doesnt freak me out one bit if it does cool stuff for me lol. i heard google are rolling out FREE home broadband in Cansas US and i really hope thats the future for all internet including mobile. google make a fortune by knowing our lifes so its in their interest for android phones to use a lot of data and learn more from us
    08-08-2012 08:09 PM
    +2 about neutering but im thankful my s3 is unbranded and should hopefuly get it without much delay. id recommend everyone to save up and buy a phone, ditch the contract and get a pre-pay sim
    Im going their im tierd of always waiting for an update because of at&t

Sent from my Galaxy SIII on Rezurrection Rom and OC/UV using Red Xparent Tapatalk 2
    08-08-2012 08:33 PM
    Im going their im tierd of always waiting for an update because of at&t

Sent from my Galaxy SIII on Rezurrection Rom and OC/UV using Red Xparent Tapatalk 2
    cool man it seems like more people in the US compared to the UK are dependant on contracts (plans) and being stuck with one carrier for years and years and the carriers love that and its probably the reason they suck u dry. more people should just buy a handset and every month u can just change carrier if a better offer arises. do phone numbers work the same in the US as they do in UK? (once we have a phone number it basicly belongs to us and we can transfer it from carrier to carrier)
    08-08-2012 08:47 PM
    Just curious as to why everyone wants jb so much. It really isn't that much different than ics.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII
    08-08-2012 09:00 PM
    Just curious as to why everyone wants jb so much. It really isn't that much different than ics.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII
    maybe not looks-wise
    08-08-2012 09:05 PM
    Well Google just announced that they are going to release google now on IOS, so im guessing that they will just put it in the play store also.
    08-08-2012 09:12 PM
    Well Google just announced that they are going to release google now on IOS, so im guessing that they will just put it in the play store also.
    wow really? thats very very cool man
    08-08-2012 09:14 PM
    I doubt this update will be fast as people are anticipating. Look at when the Galaxy Note came out. It came with craptacular gingerbread and look how long it took to release ICS for it. I want to be wrong but we have been let down in the past.
    08-08-2012 10:11 PM
    seriously? I hate Google for that. I have a crap load of idevices but I don't want them to get Google now. I wish they would just keep some things for themselves.
    08-08-2012 10:25 PM
    nah thats the genius of google.. let ios have chrome and now, let the users see what theyr missing lol. i doubt it will be as good as on android.
    @brunnels do u have a link mate?
    08-08-2012 10:29 PM
    nah thats the genius of google.. let ios have chrome and now, let the users see what theyr missing lol. i doubt it will be as good as on android.
    I know I love it but I hate it. I just want something to call my own from Google
    08-08-2012 10:35 PM
    Here ya go, just scroll down a little.
    Official Google Blog
    08-09-2012 12:31 AM
    What Google's bringing to ios is the advanced voice search, but not the actual Google now service (the cards that get pushed to you based on context).

http://m.cnet.com/news/android-41s-v...e-now/57470504

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums
    Tkbredx and Tarpit_Carnivore like this.
    08-09-2012 08:23 AM
    cool man it seems like more people in the US compared to the UK are dependant on contracts (plans) and being stuck with one carrier for years and years and the carriers love that and its probably the reason they suck u dry. more people should just buy a handset and every month u can just change carrier if a better offer arises. do phone numbers work the same in the US as they do in UK? (once we have a phone number it basicly belongs to us and we can transfer it from carrier to carrier)
    The problem is that the plans are priced to subsidize the sale of carrier specific phones. So, we could possibly buy an unlocked phone, but we still pay the same for the plan. The only benefit is that there's no fee for breaking a contract in that case.

About 10 years ago, you would lose your number if you switched carriers. Thankfully that's been changed and we can keep our phone numbers. The problem is the lure of a heavily discounted phone and no price incentive to buy an unlocked phone.
    08-09-2012 08:59 AM
    Here ya go, just scroll down a little.
    Official Google Blog
    Voice Search and Google Now are two different things. Voice search is part of Google Now but what makes up Google Now are the cards.
    08-09-2012 11:26 AM
    thanks for the links and info guys google giving voice search to ios is a very smart move then. it understands accents (scottish anyway) far better than siri does and im guessin it will use google search?
    08-09-2012 11:35 AM
    The problem is that the plans are priced to subsidize the sale of carrier specific phones. So, we could possibly buy an unlocked phone, but we still pay the same for the plan. The only benefit is that there's no fee for breaking a contract in that case.

About 10 years ago, you would lose your number if you switched carriers. Thankfully that's been changed and we can keep our phone numbers. The problem is the lure of a heavily discounted phone and no price incentive to buy an unlocked phone.
    arent their cheaper pre-pay sim cards available with no contract though? theres some really good ones in the uk that "piggy-back" the big carriers hardware (transmitter masts etc) and have to be very competetive because people can easily just get a different sim and go to whats the best deal
    08-09-2012 11:38 AM
    arent their cheaper pre-pay sim cards available with no contract though? theres some really good ones in the uk that "piggy-back" the big carriers hardware (transmitter masts etc) and have to be very competetive because people can easily just get a different sim and go to whats the best deal
    I'm not aware of any carriers in the states that support that option. I know that Verizon will or is planning on allowing unlocking the SIM for use on it's partner carriers outside of the U.S.. But stateside, they keep things locked down.

Maybe someone else is aware of other smaller carriers allowing 3rd party SIM's, but it won't be any of the majors. If it's an option, it isn't well known.

The S3 is the first phone I've owned that actually had a SIM card.
    08-09-2012 11:51 AM
    Yup, we do have those, but not many.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    08-09-2012 11:53 AM
    cool. i defo think pre-pay is the way forward once u take the plunge and buy a handset outright
    08-09-2012 11:55 AM
    I'm not aware of any carriers in the states that support that option. I know that Verizon will or is planning on allowing unlocking the SIM for use on it's partner carriers outside of the U.S.. But stateside, they keep things locked down.

Maybe someone else is aware of other smaller carriers allowing 3rd party SIM's, but it won't be any of the majors. If it's an option, it isn't well known.

The S3 is the first phone I've owned that actually had a SIM card.
    Straight talk allows you to use the carriers towers and such, for some reason not many people choose to use it for whatever reason.
    08-09-2012 12:00 PM
92 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD