Supposedly Samsung has Jelly Bean about ready

_OMEGA_

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I doubt this update will be fast as people are anticipating. Look at when the Galaxy Note came out. It came with craptacular gingerbread and look how long it took to release ICS for it. I want to be wrong but we have been let down in the past.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Well Google just announced that they are going to release google now on IOS, so im guessing that they will just put it in the play store also.

seriously? I hate Google for that. I have a crap load of idevices but I don't want them to get Google now. I wish they would just keep some things for themselves.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
nah thats the genius of google.. let ios have chrome and now, let the users see what theyr missing lol. i doubt it will be as good as on android.
@brunnels do u have a link mate?

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
nah thats the genius of google.. let ios have chrome and now, let the users see what theyr missing lol. i doubt it will be as good as on android.
@brunnels do u have a link mate?

I know I love it but I hate it. I just want something to call my own from Google :(

Wnrgway

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
cool man :) it seems like more people in the US compared to the UK are dependant on contracts (plans) and being stuck with one carrier for years and years and the carriers love that and its probably the reason they suck u dry. more people should just buy a handset and every month u can just change carrier if a better offer arises. do phone numbers work the same in the US as they do in UK? (once we have a phone number it basicly belongs to us and we can transfer it from carrier to carrier)

The problem is that the plans are priced to subsidize the sale of carrier specific phones. So, we could possibly buy an unlocked phone, but we still pay the same for the plan. The only benefit is that there's no fee for breaking a contract in that case.

About 10 years ago, you would lose your number if you switched carriers. Thankfully that's been changed and we can keep our phone numbers. The problem is the lure of a heavily discounted phone and no price incentive to buy an unlocked phone.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the links and info guys :) google giving voice search to ios is a very smart move then. it understands accents (scottish anyway) far better than siri does and im guessin it will use google search?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that the plans are priced to subsidize the sale of carrier specific phones. So, we could possibly buy an unlocked phone, but we still pay the same for the plan. The only benefit is that there's no fee for breaking a contract in that case.

About 10 years ago, you would lose your number if you switched carriers. Thankfully that's been changed and we can keep our phone numbers. The problem is the lure of a heavily discounted phone and no price incentive to buy an unlocked phone.
arent their cheaper pre-pay sim cards available with no contract though? theres some really good ones in the uk that "piggy-back" the big carriers hardware (transmitter masts etc) and have to be very competetive because people can easily just get a different sim and go to whats the best deal

Wnrgway

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
arent their cheaper pre-pay sim cards available with no contract though? theres some really good ones in the uk that "piggy-back" the big carriers hardware (transmitter masts etc) and have to be very competetive because people can easily just get a different sim and go to whats the best deal

I'm not aware of any carriers in the states that support that option. I know that Verizon will or is planning on allowing unlocking the SIM for use on it's partner carriers outside of the U.S.. But stateside, they keep things locked down.

Maybe someone else is aware of other smaller carriers allowing 3rd party SIM's, but it won't be any of the majors. If it's an option, it isn't well known.

The S3 is the first phone I've owned that actually had a SIM card.

NickLippert

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Yup, we do have those, but not many.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

brunnels

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not aware of any carriers in the states that support that option. I know that Verizon will or is planning on allowing unlocking the SIM for use on it's partner carriers outside of the U.S.. But stateside, they keep things locked down.

Maybe someone else is aware of other smaller carriers allowing 3rd party SIM's, but it won't be any of the majors. If it's an option, it isn't well known.

The S3 is the first phone I've owned that actually had a SIM card.

Straight talk allows you to use the carriers towers and such, for some reason not many people choose to use it for whatever reason.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Straight talk allows you to use the carriers towers and such, for some reason not many people choose to use it for whatever reason.

Becuase if your a heavy data user they will turn your service off.

You can only use up 100meg a day and less than 2gig a month for the $45 a month "unlimited plan". So its not really unlimited.

For most avg users it works just fine. Just do what works best for you.

Wnrgway

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

I'll have to look into that and let me brother know about that as his contract is done now.

I glanced at their coverage maps which are labled "android" and "non-android" for some reason. The Android map coverage was pretty sparse.

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Becuase if your a heavy data user they will turn your service off.

You can only use up 100meg a day and less than 2gig a month for the $45 a month "unlimited plan". So its not really unlimited.

For most avg users it works just fine. Just do what works best for you.

Thats why i dont like straight talk they toggled my data so slow i have to refresh like 5 times to get on a page. Then again i did use like 20gigs of data:p. I wish their where more choices for prepaid thst alow you to take your phone. But one or the other. they cost as much as my plan on AT&T or they dont offer good plans.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII on Rezurrection Rom and OC/UV using Red Xparent Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87