Does anybody else's S3 creak/crackle in spots?

skoolz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
The reason I'm asking is because I found a specific spot in the upper left corner of the phone (near the headphone jack) that makes a slight cracking sound when pressure is put on the silver bezel or by pinching the corner with a thumb on the front and a finger on the back. It's subtle, but it's loud enough for me to notice while holding it at my waist!

I cannot visually see anything moving. The bezel does not feel loose. But I'm worried that this is the start of a problem that could be a big deal in the future. Does anyone else notice this? Could it just be the fact that the phone is plastic, and plastic stuff makes noises? Or perhaps the phone just has to be "broken in"? IDK, I'm OCD when it comes to gadgets especially within the first 30 days when a simple exchange at the store is possible.

My neurosis is making me consider taking it back to the store, but then who knows what might be wrong with the next one I get. Plus they might laugh me out of the store with this issue. Any ideas, insight, or anything that would calm my anxiety would be great. :p

NickLippert

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Mine does the same thing on the bottom left, usually just when it is plugged in for charging though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

skoolz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I am somewhat relieved that it's not just me. What does it feel like to you? A design flaw or just your typical, expected creaks?

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I've read reports of this. I checked on my device and no matter where I squeeze or press I don't get any creaking noises at all, seems real solid. Must be a manufacturing discrepancy or something that affects certain devices but not others.

Rev.

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I get on the whole top. :eek: i hope this is normal.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII on Rezurrection Rom and OC using Red Xparent Tapatalk 2

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I used to notice this issue on my last phone (pre) and it was always way more prevalent when the phone was hot. Thermal expansion sorta thing. Anyone correlating those 2 things with their S3?

S3 on Sprint - 16gb pebble blue + 64

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine definitely isn't related to heat. It just pops lightly every time I squeeze on that spot regardless.

If you are not comfortable, go back to the store and test another. If that one has no issues, then do an exchange. I am the same way in the initial honeymoon period with a new device. You just have to learn to accept some device hardware/software glitches especially if you are one of the first to get a specific model. Obviously, if there are major hardware/software issues, then definitely exchange it. So far, I have found no build issues from a hardware perspective.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
the crazy thing is it only creaks once then its solid again till i use the phone for a bit and then press it again. its really not a problem for me, ive never owned an iphone so i dont expect the phone to feel like a BMW :)

Terminator91

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I've found, the more you take your case on and off, the more creaks you end up having because of the way the plastic fits into the grooves. First day, no creaks whatsoever, but after 4-5 times of taking the cover on etc. I've found two creaks. One is slightly to the left of the USB charging port when the screen is facing me at the bottom. The other is a much louder almost indent pop on the top left of the phone near the top of the volume keys. I've noticed that there is the largest distance gap between the case and the phone here too.

It's really pathetic of Samsung to charge so much for a phone that is built like a toy. This is also the price you pay for a removable battery cover, as opposed to a solid unibody design.

I've yet to have a phone that didn't even up creaking, squeaking, or moving from the battery cover.

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I've found, the more you take your case on and off, the more creaks you end up having because of the way the plastic fits into the grooves. First day, no creaks whatsoever, but after 4-5 times of taking the cover on etc. I've found two creaks. One is slightly to the left of the USB charging port when the screen is facing me at the bottom. The other is a much louder almost indent pop on the top left of the phone near the top of the volume keys. I've noticed that there is the largest distance gap between the case and the phone here too.

It's really pathetic of Samsung to charge so much for a phone that is built like a toy. This is also the price you pay for a removable battery cover, as opposed to a solid unibody design.

I've yet to have a phone that didn't even up creaking, squeaking, or moving from the battery cover.

Yep, I would find a different case which doesn't put that kind of stress on the seam between bevel and glass. It's like a prybar. Not a Samsung issue.

S3 on Sprint - 16gb pebble blue + 64

Trail3n

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Mine is making a creaking noise about 1/4 inch. in to the screen from the volume rocker, when pinching the screen and back cover together I can hear it and it is annoying the hell out of me. I know its probably just the back cover but I'm taking it to the store and getting them to look at it and get a new back cover atleast so that way I'm happy and creak free. I did see about the loose battery somewhere and mine seems tight and in place but it did come out easy when bumped against my palm.

awyniesome

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I get the crackling sound plus I have another concern. I took a black pickture or set my background wallpaper in to black and I see a spot at the center right corner of the screen. PLEASE let me know if i should have this replaced or what. Thanks

Yuval101

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
As much as i know Creaking is mostly caused due to dust being in the grooves between the two plastic pieces of your phone, so i suggest you to try cleaning the squeaky areas and any grooves around them, and then report here if it disappears

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21