I just posted a general questions in the applications area asking for any things I should do before doing a factory restore/wipe to ease the hassle of getting everything back up & running.

I'm asking it here, not to be redundant, but also to ask if there are any S3 specific suggestions?

I'm not rooted and will be doing the factory reset to resolve this irritating paste bug and the "TestService has stopped" errorrs.

I'm thinking about not using swiftkey in case that messed me up.

Thanks,
    Mike
    08-07-2012 08:25 PM
    id also like to know if the s3 backs up app data (via kies or automaticly OTA) or if it has to be rooted + use titanium or backup pro etc..?
    08-07-2012 08:34 PM
    I notice in Settings | Backup and Rest that there are check boxes for:
    Backup my Data
    Automatic Restore (when re-installing an app, backed up settings and data will be restored).

(I guess I need to remember to make sure the auto restore is checked before I start re-installing apps after the wipe).

Note to self: backup my Go Launcher config to the SD card (the option is under preferences)
    08-07-2012 08:46 PM
    yeah i keep go launcher backed up let us know how perfectly the phone restores itself after factory reset man, would be nice if it looked exactly how it did before the reset
    08-07-2012 09:13 PM
    ...ps, i think after the wipe, all your installed apps will start automaticly downloading so make sure you have wifi or unlimited data. when i first booted my s3, all the installed apps from my last android installed automaticly
    08-07-2012 09:16 PM
    ...ps, i think after the wipe, all your installed apps will start automaticly downloading so make sure you have wifi or unlimited data. when i first booted my s3, all the installed apps from my last android installed automaticly
    YIKES! That's a huge tip!

I guess I should uninstall apps I don't want to come back post wipe.

Sounds like I have some prep work to do.

On sprint, I was only ever able to download 200 megs / month because it was soo slow.

On ATT, I'm at 2.6 gigs of my 3 gig plan (5 days to go)

I will definitely need to do this wifi

Thanks,

Mike
    08-07-2012 09:21 PM
    If I have my app settings backed up to google, and all the apps start downloading automatically, what's left for me to do?

You're making this sound pretty easy!

Mike
    08-07-2012 09:25 PM
    lol ive never wiped my s3 so im waiting for someone who has to tell us defo make sure you have wifi though. i have unlimited data but when i first booted this phone it took about 2 hours to download all the apps from my last phone lol
    08-07-2012 09:30 PM
    If I have my app settings backed up to google, and all the apps start downloading automatically, what's left for me to do?

You're making this sound pretty easy!

Mike
    Your apps may or may not automatically download when you log onto Google (they only auto started for me when I used to custom rom, not reverting to stock).

Your settings will be lost in the shuffle.

SwiftKey isn't causing the copypasta bug.

No prep beforehand. The only thing you would/could do is move downloads and pictures from your internal memory to your external sd because that stuff will be lost.

I've rooted, flashed, recovered, and restored my SGIII. Nothing new when hoping between ROMs (custom or stock).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    08-08-2012 01:44 AM
    could u use mybackup pro or titanium to save app data + then upload the file to dropbox mate (or move it to ext sd? what is it that the phone is auto backing up to the cloud? does a Kies backup back up everything?
    08-08-2012 09:11 AM
    could u use mybackup pro or titanium to save app data + then upload the file to dropbox mate (or move it to ext sd? what is it that the phone is auto backing up to the cloud? does a Kies backup back up everything?
    If your rooted you can use them. I recomend tibu, you can uplad anywhere or move it to you likeing (some app data doesent backup i re omend copying the android folder as well i have had data loss in the past and learned that.) I have never used kies to backup but it can backup what it has available to.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII on Rezurrection Rom and OC using Red Xparent Tapatalk 2
    08-08-2012 09:23 AM
    08-08-2012 09:31 AM
    lol keep forgettin this is the 1st phone i havent rooted
    nice tip chappo
    08-08-2012 09:35 AM
    I have done 2 factory wipes and apps did not reinstall. They are, however, listed in Google Play so that I can easily pick the ones I want to reinstall (don't have to go searching for them all again).

Some apps allow you to back up the data so make sure you do that and get the backup file on your MicroSD or computer so you can put it back and restore afterwards.

The one issue I had was with Swiftkey...I read that it's supposed to back up your settings and personalization but I have lost everything both times. Not a huge deal but not sure why it's not working if anyone has any tips.
    08-08-2012 11:26 AM
    THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!

Though I don't have wallet yet, I added it to my Word Document containing my checklist & steps for wiping and restoring.

Mike
    08-08-2012 11:30 AM
    I have done 2 factory wipes and apps did not reinstall. They are, however, listed in Google Play so that I can easily pick the ones I want to reinstall (don't have to go searching for them all again).

Some apps allow you to back up the data so make sure you do that and get the backup file on your MicroSD or computer so you can put it back and restore afterwards.

The one issue I had was with Swiftkey...I read that it's supposed to back up your settings and personalization but I have lost everything both times. Not a huge deal but not sure why it's not working if anyone has any tips.
    Thanks Jeff.

What you describe is consistent with what happened when I setup my S3 the first time: every app I had ever purchased or downloaded was listed in the play store.

Unfortunately, because I'm somewhat of an app-o-haulic, there must have been 500 apps (any app I've ever tried!)

I like using ShareMyApps of what's on my phone currently, because it generates a hyper-linked list directly to the play store for each app I want.

Mike
    08-08-2012 11:35 AM
    BTW, I really wouldn't want every app I've ever purchased to automatically start downloading all at once. That really doesn't make sense. Did anyone every witness this behavior?

It makes more sense, however, that when you re-download an app, it automatically restores settings for just that app.

mike
    08-08-2012 11:36 AM
    yeah when i first booted my s3, it didnt download every app i ever installed, just all the apps that were still installed on my previous androids
    08-08-2012 11:43 AM
    id just love if u could reset or replace a phone and everything about it was sync'd to the cloud and make it EXACTLY how you had it. i like to customise everything i can and the thought of doin it all again is a draaaag
    08-08-2012 11:45 AM
    are you really sure it auto-downloaded (all by itself) all the apps from your own phone, vs. just showing you a list of those apps, and allowing you to click on which ones you wanted?

Maybe it's an international thing?

Mike
    08-08-2012 12:55 PM
    tbh i cant remember if it asked or not but i defo didnt have the chance of choosing which apps. i have a feeling there was a "cancel" option though but i just let it run as im on unlimited data
    08-08-2012 12:59 PM
    ...and ur right it could be an international (gt-i9300) thing
    08-08-2012 12:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD