I have 2 questions

javier180

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Since the s3 comes with music preloaded in the operating system, how do you remove it? I already rooted my phone. Is there a hidden way of doing this or do I need to install an app for that?

My second question is how much memory do you guys use on your phone? I keep seeing mine go up close to a gig out of the 1.62 GB on the phone. Is there a way of disabling apps from running? I notice the higher the memory it uses the warmer my phone gets. All I been doing is clearing memory and it goes back down to like 400 - 600 MB. Any idea?

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
if you're tired and don't use the music player just uninstall it all together.

And you're talking about ram for the second question. Everybody does what you do. It is to keep your phone from slowing down, freezing up, getting hot. Let's you multitask better. If you keep using apps with out removing them and clearing memory then your ram will always be near 1.62. It's very normal

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm using .9GB (700MB free).

Really though, it manages memory fine. The idea you have to have "free" memory is an idea that really isn't correct any longer. A bunch of free memory sitting there doing absolutely nothing is useless and there's no point in it. Better to load it up with something.

Of course, some other people will disagree. But the general idea is an app sits in memory so it loads instantaneous (or nearly) if you need it. If you need something else that's not in memory, it empties the enough memory to make room (again, nearly instantaneously), then loads the new request into memory (a slower process than if it was sitting in the memory ready to be used).

If the memory was always empty, everything you requested would have to load into memory everytime you load it. A bunch of empty memory should make the phone slower since every request would have to be loaded into memory, not to mention it's going to take more battery and several other detrimental things to load the app everytime it needs it.

Or picture it like this....if you open the Facebook app 40 times a day, it's going to load a lot faster if it keeps that in memory than if it doesn't and thus has to load it into memory every time you launch it. It's a similar concept to your browser caching content so it loads faster. You can empty the cache, but the next time you visit the page, it's going to load slower because it has to read everything again (and have you every heard anyone suggest emptying the browser's cache in order to speed up the browsing experience? No).

It's also similar to how Windows works (since Vista). Programs load into memory in anticipation you will want to use them....but if not, there's really no tradeoff since unloading them from memory doesn't take any time. I remember several friends loading Vista, looking at how much memory it used compared to XP, and dismissing it outright just because of that, despite it managed memory completely different (don't get me wrong...plenty of reasons to dislike Vista but memory usage wasn't a valid one).

I think I got all that right, but here's a nice Android Central article explaining it better than I can: http://www.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care

And that's from a year ago....Android's only gotten better with Memory management.

Last edited:

javier180

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
if you're tired and don't use the music player just uninstall it all together.

And you're talking about ram for the second question. Everybody does what you do. It is to keep your phone from slowing down, freezing up, getting hot. Let's you multitask better. If you keep using apps with out removing them and clearing memory then your ram will always be near 1.62. It's very normal

Okay thanks but I removed the music app and when I go to google's music app, the music is still there? What gives?

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
everything in Google music is arranyged so it shouldn't be actually on your device look at it as a personal Pandora that you control what plays and what actually stays on your device and what stays in the cloud.

Hold the song down. You should see somethin mmHg that says keep on device. If it has a blue push pin then it's actually on your device. Press the pin to uncheck it. Once it's unchecked it will still be in the Google music until you delete it from your computer but it won't actually be saved to the computer. It will be in the online storage.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm using .9GB (700MB free).

Really though, it manages memory fine. The idea you have to have "free" memory is an idea that really isn't correct any longer. A bunch of free memory sitting there doing absolutely nothing is useless and there's no point in it. Better to load it up with something.

Of course, some other people will disagree. But the general idea is an app sits in memory so it loads instantaneous (or nearly) if you need it. If you need something else that's not in memory, it empties the enough memory to make room (again, nearly instantaneously), then loads the new request into memory (a slower process than if it was sitting in the memory ready to be used).

If the memory was always empty, everything you requested would have to load into memory everytime you load it. A bunch of empty memory should make the phone slower since every request would have to be loaded into memory, not to mention it's going to take more battery and several other detrimental things to load the app everytime it needs it.

Or picture it like this....if you open the Facebook app 40 times a day, it's going to load a lot faster if it keeps that in memory than if it doesn't and thus has to load it into memory every time you launch it. It's a similar concept to your browser caching content so it loads faster. You can empty the cache, but the next time you visit the page, it's going to load slower because it has to read everything again (and have you every heard anyone suggest emptying the browser's cache in order to speed up the browsing experience? No).

It's also similar to how Windows works (since Vista). Programs load into memory in anticipation you will want to use them....but if not, there's really no tradeoff since unloading them from memory doesn't take any time. I remember several friends loading Vista, looking at how much memory it used compared to XP, and dismissing it outright just because of that, despite it managed memory completely different (don't get me wrong...plenty of reasons to dislike Vista but memory usage wasn't a valid one).

I think I got all that right, but here's a nice Android Central article explaining it better than I can: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

And that's from a year ago....Android's only gotten better with Memory management.

yup. im on the international s3 (only has 1gb total ram) and im usualy sitting with 100mb free. android has became very good at managing memory and if the phone was in any kind of trouble it would close a task all by itself. in the past with old versions of android and low ram, u had to use a task manager or killer to speed things up but now u can honestly just let the phone do it for u and not worry bout it :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
...ps if it really does worry u, u can limit the amount of tasks running in background in developer settings and it might save a bit of battery (i dont know) but it wont affect performance apart from slowing things down when u multitask

javier180

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
everything in Google music is arranyged so it shouldn't be actually on your device look at it as a personal Pandora that you control what plays and what actually stays on your device and what stays in the cloud.

Hold the song down. You should see somethin mmHg that says keep on device. If it has a blue push pin then it's actually on your device. Press the pin to uncheck it. Once it's unchecked it will still be in the Google music until you delete it from your computer but it won't actually be saved to the computer. It will be in the online storage.

They dont have anything checked for keep on device. Where is this online storage located?

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
They dont have anything checked for keep on device. Where is this online storage located?

It's a Google Service called Google Music. You can download the Music Manager from Google and manage it on your PC (I don't recall if they had a Mac version or not). It will be available on your phone via the Play Music app. The service is free for the first 20K songs. The upload takes a while but once it is there you have it with any Android device you own and/or are willing to log into.

Mike

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

You can go to Google and your in Google music it should bring you to the website. You can store up to 20k songs for online And however many of that you want on your phone for offline.

Go to the Google music app. Press on device only. If you don't see any songs. Then no songs are saved to your phone. If you do see a song. Long press the song and uncheck it (the blue pin). This should take it off your phone for offline listening.