Speed dif between International / American version when browsing?

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys.

I know that the international version of the Galaxy S3 has a quad-core cpu, a better Gpu and 21 Mbit/s HSPA+, opposed to the American version, that has a dual-core cpu, a worst gpu and LTE support.
I have the international version with 21 Mbit/s HSPA+, and in my town I have 42,2 Mbps HSPA+ speed available, so I guess I will be able to take full advantage in the 3.5G speed of my phone.

A question to anyone who tried them both versions: do we actually notice any difference regarding the speed opening pages when we are surfing the net or the speed difference is only noticeable when you we downloading a file?

Cheers

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Speed dif between International / American version when brows

If you're getting real-world speeds in the high teens with a low ping, you probably won't notice a difference beyond that for just normal browsing.

Just throwing out anecdotal evidence, but I would say the difference between 18 and 30 Mbps is not really noticed. The difference between 7 and 50 Mbps maybe.

Also, fwiw, a lot of the benchmarks show the 2 core US version as being faster than the 4 core int version for web browsing tasks. Although I don't know if a person would really notice it.

Lastly, the one thing a person can do to speed up web browsing that will have the most noticeable effect on either phone is to root it and then install adfree android.

-Suntan

Reactions: ngb802 and badelhas

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the answer, M8!
So there is no problem at all with browsing speeds if I decide to buy the Internacional version. Good to know. :)

Cheers

Terminator91

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

Friend has the International version, I have the Dual-Core LTE version. I've found my browsing to be a split second better for some reason. Also, he only hits 7-17 Mbps downloading a file, whereas I can hit the high 30's or low 40's routinely.

People think quad-core is ultimately better, but they don't take into account the current climate and what'll happen later. If you never really play intensive games, is the international version really better? You get half the RAM, no LTE etc.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

Friend has the International version, I have the Dual-Core LTE version. I've found my browsing to be a split second better for some reason. Also, he only hits 7-17 Mbps downloading a file, whereas I can hit the high 30's or low 40's routinely.

People think quad-core is ultimately better, but they don't take into account the current climate and what'll happen later. If you never really play intensive games, is the international version really better? You get half the RAM, no LTE etc.

I believe no one said it is better. I only wanted to know if there was too much of a difference when surfing in both of them but you already answered me that there is a tiny difference. Since I wont be downloading much, I think its ok. Just one question: in the place where you tested your friend?s phone, what is the HSPA+ speed coverage? In my country there are 3 operators and Vodafone has the fastest: 43Mbit/s (even if there is still no phone that support it, I think, only 21Mbit/s like the international S3). I ask this because if the coverage there is only 7 or 14Mbit/s it can make a difference. I, at least, only got the Internacional version because the LTE version dosent work in my country, Portugal. I guess the Band in which the American LTE operates is difference from ours (correct me if I?m wrong). Same thing happens to iPad 3 4G, the 4G it has dosent work in Europe so they had to change advirtising and take the 4G off.

EDIT: see this news: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/44814/at-t-4g-ipad-not-work-uk
"There are six different 4G variations around the globe and those bands work on different frequencies. As you might expect in a non perfect world, the US bands are different from the UK and European bands. The new iPad is designed to work across the LTE standard of 700 - 2100MHz in the States, the UK's trials are 800 - 2600MHz"

Last edited:

Terminator91

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

I believe no one said it is better. I only wanted to know if there was too much of a difference when surfing in both of them but you already answered me that there is a tiny difference. Since I wont be downloading much, I think its ok. Just one question: in the place where you tested your friend?s phone, what is the HSPA+ speed coverage? In my country there are 3 operators and Vodafone has the fastest: 43Mbit/s (even if there is still no phone that support it, I think, only 21Mbit/s like the international S3). I ask this because if the coverage there is only 7 or 14Mbit/s it can make a difference. I, at least, only got the Internacional version because the LTE version dosent work in my country, Portugal. I guess the Band in which the American LTE operates is difference from ours (correct me if I?m wrong). Same thing happens to iPad 3 4G, the 4G it has dosent work in Europe so they had to change advirtising and take the 4G off.

EDIT: see this news: New iPad won't work with UK 4G - Pocket-lint
"There are six different 4G variations around the globe and those bands work on different frequencies. As you might expect in a non perfect world, the US bands are different from the UK and European bands. The new iPad is designed to work across the LTE standard of 700 - 2100MHz in the States, the UK's trials are 800 - 2600MHz"

I don't think you're quite understanding the difference... Sure North America operates at 700 mhz because it frees up the spectrum, while Japan operates at 2.1 ghz, and the UK and EU 2.6 ghz etc.

But the Galaxy S3 doesn't operate only one set spectrum. Meaning I could take my North American LTE version, and go to Japan and use their LTE spectrum (providing the phone was unlocked).

3G UMTS/HSPA+ ? 850, 900, 1,900, 2,100 MHz

4G LTE ? 700, 800, 1,700, 1,900 MHz (NA, JP and KR versions).

There is no internal difference between the phones. And so any LTE Galaxy S3 sold, will work in any country the LTE version is sold. I believe it being unlocked from a carrier is the key.

According to Samsung, the LTE versions are the same on each carrier except for the network and carrier specific services pre-loaded on the device.

As for Europe, since you did not get any LTE enabled galaxy s3, I wouldn't be surprised if the Galaxy S3 doesn't work with the LTE network there, since it wasn't on Samsung's roadmap from the start.

Remember the LTE versions are only available in North America, Japan, and South Korea.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys.

I know that the international version of the Galaxy S3 has a quad-core cpu, a better Gpu and 21 Mbit/s HSPA+, opposed to the American version, that has a dual-core cpu, a worst gpu and LTE support.
I have the international version with 21 Mbit/s HSPA+, and in my town I have 42,2 Mbps HSPA+ speed available, so I guess I will be able to take full advantage in the 3.5G speed of my phone.

A question to anyone who tried them both versions: do we actually notice any difference regarding the speed opening pages when we are surfing the net or the speed difference is only noticeable when you we downloading a file?

Cheers

42mb/s????? lol where do u live m8 + what network? :)

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

I don't think you're quite understanding the difference... Sure North America operates at 700 mhz because it frees up the spectrum, while Japan operates at 2.1 ghz, and the UK and EU 2.6 ghz etc.

But the Galaxy S3 doesn't operate only one set spectrum. Meaning I could take my North American LTE version, and go to Japan and use their LTE spectrum (providing the phone was unlocked).

3G UMTS/HSPA+ – 850, 900, 1,900, 2,100 MHz

4G LTE – 700, 800, 1,700, 1,900 MHz (NA, JP and KR versions).

There is no internal difference between the phones. And so any LTE Galaxy S3 sold, will work in any country the LTE version is sold. I believe it being unlocked from a carrier is the key.

According to Samsung, the LTE versions are the same on each carrier except for the network and carrier specific services pre-loaded on the device.

As for Europe, since you did not get any LTE enabled galaxy s3, I wouldn't be surprised if the Galaxy S3 doesn't work with the LTE network there, since it wasn't on Samsung's roadmap from the start.

Remember the LTE versions are only available in North America, Japan, and South Korea.

I honestly didnt know that, are you completly sure?! This means that if the phone is bought unlocked it works with every carriers and in every country? What about if we root it, is it possible to unlock it completly? But that dosent make much sence...if the phone works in LTE 800Mhz (the band in my country, Portugal) why didnt samsung decided to also sell the 4G 100Mbit/s version here (we have the coverage since March), selling only a crippled 3.5G 21Mbit/s version?

EDIT: Newegg has unlocked versions, see this:https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....aspx%3FItem%3DN82E16875176368&token=PXZhY0li
It says it only works in 700Mhz LTE Band, which is the american version and that it?s the SGH-i747 model... Do you have a link to where you read that?

Cheers

Last edited:

Terminator91

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

I honestly didnt know that, are you completly sure?! This means that if the phone is bought unlocked it works with every carriers and in every country? What about if we root it, is it possible to unlock it completly? But that dosent make much sence...if the phone works in LTE 800Mhz (the band in my country, Portugal) why didnt samsung decided to also sell the 4G 100Mbit/s version here (we have the coverage since March), selling only a crippled 3.5G 21Mbit/s version?

EDIT: Newegg has unlocked versions, see this:Newegg.com - Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-i747 White 3G Unlocked Cell Phone
It says it only works in 700Mhz LTE Band, which is the american version and that it?s the SGH-i747 model... Do you have a link to where you read that?

Cheers

It's difficult to say, official Samsung "specs" don't list it. According to some developers, 'it's possible that all versions of the phone sold in the U.S. have radio equipment for CDMA, GSM, GSM's 3G/4G HSPA+ variant and 4G LTE. If that's the case, a Verizon phone could use AT&T's fast LTE system and vice versa, assuming the phone was unlocked and none of its transmission capabilities were somehow crippled'.

American or Canadian SGS3? Read this before posting! - xda-developers

This thread shows the various "models" of Samsung phone out there. As you can see, they list what the phone "operates" at in their country of sale, but it doesn't say that the radio/internals are crippled to ONLY work at those frequencies.

So you say Portugal has an 800 mhz spectrum dedicated to LTE... I see no reason why an unlocked Japanese/Korean LTE-enabled phone that operates at 800 mhz LTE and that has been rooted and unlocked won't work. Especially if you put in a Portugese sim that has LTE data on the account.

I'm going to do some more research in on this, because I am now more curious myself, but I still believe, there are no "internal" differences between the phones (exlcuding CDMA). I will get back to you on this.

As to why Samsung didn't release an LTE version, I'm guessing they weren't as "pressured" to as they were by Japanese and North American carriers who want to push LTE data plans. Is LTE massivley adopted by Europeans or are they content with HSPA+ etc? Remember ATT and Verizon are very powerful carriers, so much so that Verizon even forced Samsung to not unlock the bootloader on their phones.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Samsung couldn't release a LTE international version at launch, as their quad core exynos chipset didn't support the LTE radio. They do have a new exynos chip that does, and are supposed to release the S3 in Korea, if I remember correctly, with the LTE onboard.

Here in America, they sacrificed the quad core due to demand from the carriers for the LTE radios to make them compatible with our new networks. Our HSPA+ networks are fast, but are becoming over saturated.

When the Note tablet and the Note 2 come out, they are both supposed to have the quad core LTE chipsets as well.

Um, at least we shall see if they do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

yeah aparently koreans dont worry about battery life as much as the rest of us

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

It's difficult to say, official Samsung "specs" don't list it. According to some developers, 'it's possible that all versions of the phone sold in the U.S. have radio equipment for CDMA, GSM, GSM's 3G/4G HSPA+ variant and 4G LTE. If that's the case, a Verizon phone could use AT&T's fast LTE system and vice versa, assuming the phone was unlocked and none of its transmission capabilities were somehow crippled'.

American or Canadian SGS3? Read this before posting! - xda-developers

This thread shows the various "models" of Samsung phone out there. As you can see, they list what the phone "operates" at in their country of sale, but it doesn't say that the radio/internals are crippled to ONLY work at those frequencies.

So you say Portugal has an 800 mhz spectrum dedicated to LTE... I see no reason why an unlocked Japanese/Korean LTE-enabled phone that operates at 800 mhz LTE and that has been rooted and unlocked won't work. Especially if you put in a Portugese sim that has LTE data on the account.

I'm going to do some more research in on this, because I am now more curious myself, but I still believe, there are no "internal" differences between the phones (exlcuding CDMA). I will get back to you on this.

As to why Samsung didn't release an LTE version, I'm guessing they weren't as "pressured" to as they were by Japanese and North American carriers who want to push LTE data plans. Is LTE massivley adopted by Europeans or are they content with HSPA+ etc? Remember ATT and Verizon are very powerful carriers, so much so that Verizon even forced Samsung to not unlock the bootloader on their phones.

That list is also in the wikipedia linked I posted earlier. Please do that research because I am eager to know more about this subject. :)
Regarding your question: LTE is pretty much starting (regarding smartphones) so not a lot of people have them here but the coverage is already pretty good. I am refering to Portugal, of course, because in the north countries (Norway, Sweden, etc) they have it for a while already.
I ordered the International version, it should arrive next week, because it?s the only one available here (GT-I9300) but since the 4G band frequency is the same in Japan and Korea (I think) I was wondering if the difference surfing the web in 4G would be very noticeable.
Thoughs?

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

Samsung couldn't release a LTE international version at launch, as their quad core exynos chipset didn't support the LTE radio. They do have a new exynos chip that does, and are supposed to release the S3 in Korea, if I remember correctly, with the LTE onboard.

Here in America, they sacrificed the quad core due to demand from the carriers for the LTE radios to make them compatible with our new networks. Our HSPA+ networks are fast, but are becoming over saturated.

When the Note tablet and the Note 2 come out, they are both supposed to have the quad core LTE chipsets as well.

Um, at least we shall see if they do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I understand why they lauched the South Korea model (SHV-E210K/L/S) with LTE, Quad-Core and even 2GB of ram only in that country! Why cant we Europeans have it all also? I also just discovered they have 2 versions os the S3 in Korea, one without LTE that is not even listed in Wikipedia (SHW-M440S)
But I also discovered that in Korea they have WCDMA, not GSM, and that their LTE is not 700Mhz but 850Mhz frequency. See here
SHV-E210S specs: Samsung SHV-E210S Galaxy S3 LTE Specs | Technical Datasheet | PDAdb.net
Forum dedicated to the LTE Korean Version, in english: [OFFICIAL] Korean Galaxy S3 (SHW-M440S/SHV-E210S/K/L) Thread - xda-developers

I am starting to get very confused about all this. :(

I also found a interesting article, a XDA developer (a well know forum in the android world) that made possible to transform a Verizon S3 SCH-I535 (which originaly works in CDMA, not GSM) a full unlocked GSM phone: XDA member creates workaround to make Verizon Galaxy S3 a world phone I just dont know if it would work in 4G in 800Mhz yet. :)
So I guess that probably none of the different versions are cripled after all, with the exception of the version which dont have a LTE chip, like the international version I ordered.

Do you guys believe the difference when surfing in 21Mbits HSPA or LTE is very noticeable? Will I be messing something important in my high-end and expensive smartphone?

Cheers

Last edited:

Terminator91

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

That list is also in the wikipedia linked I posted earlier. Please do that research because I am eager to know more about this subject. :)
Regarding your question: LTE is pretty much starting (regarding smartphones) so not a lot of people have them here but the coverage is already pretty good. I am refering to Portugal, of course, because in the north countries (Norway, Sweden, etc) they have it for a while already.
I ordered the International version, it should arrive next week, because it?s the only one available here (GT-I9300) but since the 4G band frequency is the same in Japan and Korea (I think) I was wondering if the difference surfing the web in 4G would be very noticeable.
Thoughs?

The difference in browsing per se won't be as noticeable, meaning web-pages should open at roughly the same time. LTE's benefits come in downloading and streaming. I've routinely gotten speeds of 55-68 mbps+. My home wifi usually only gets me 25 mbps.

I've posted a few questions on some rom sites, developer sites, let's see what they say. But theoretically, if Portugal runs it's LTE at 800 mhz, same as Korea or Japan, I don't see any problem with a Galaxy s3 LTE version from Japan, fully rooted and unlocked from working in Portugal, especially if you have a sim and LTE data plan there.

From what I've read so far, even though phones have different model numbers, apparently the internals are the same (exception of CDMA). From what i've read, it doesn't say whether carriers asked Samsung to cripple other frequencies in the radio, or whether it's only that. I will get back to you.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

The difference in browsing per se won't be as noticeable, meaning web-pages should open at roughly the same time. LTE's benefits come in downloading and streaming. I've routinely gotten speeds of 55-68 mbps+. My home wifi usually only gets me 25 mbps.

I've posted a few questions on some rom sites, developer sites, let's see what they say. But theoretically, if Portugal runs it's LTE at 800 mhz, same as Korea or Japan, I don't see any problem with a Galaxy s3 LTE version from Japan, fully rooted and unlocked from working in Portugal, especially if you have a sim and LTE data plan there.

From what I've read so far, even though phones have different model numbers, apparently the internals are the same (exception of CDMA). From what i've read, it doesn't say whether carriers asked Samsung to cripple other frequencies in the radio, or whether it's only that. I will get back to you.

Yeah, that?s what I thought also...
Regarding the the fact that the 60Mbit/s speed is only noticeable when downloading or streaming, what do you mean by "streaming"? Do you mean that, with a 10Mbit/s HSPA+ connection I won?t be able to watch a 720p movie in youtube?
By the way, we have 3 carriers in Portugal and because LTE is so recent the data plans have very low download limits, meaning they have a 1Gb to 5Gb per month limit (is costs 15 or 20? a month, I believe). What?s the point of having a 60Mbit/s connection (meaning you are able to download a file a 7 MegaBYTE/s speed) and having such a low traffic limit?! With that speed you can spend 1Gb of date in little less than 2 minutes!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae