Does the stock e-mail app support push from Gmail?

OpenTrackRacer

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I searched around and didn't see anything on this so...

Does anyone know if the stock e-mail app supports push from Gmail? It doesn't have a push setting and the highest frequency pull option is fifteen minutes. Talk about abysmal.

I'm using K-9 right now and experimenting with InoMail but I'm not thrilled with either.

Thanks!

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
you need to use the gmail app for gmail. it is push. the regular email app is for other accounts except gmail

OpenTrackRacer

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I was afraid of that. The Gmail app is fine except it only displays mail in conversation view which I despise.

Interestingly enough, the stock e-mail app on both my phones show the lowest interval as 15 minutes.

It's lovely that a phone based on Google's Android OS doesn't have a client shipped with it that can support Google's own e-mail.

Oh well.

Thanks!

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I was afraid of that. The Gmail app is fine except it only displays mail in conversation view which I despise.

Wait a minute.. You mean you'd prefer to see emails from the same conversation randomly scattered throughout your inbox?

It's lovely that a phone based on Google's Android OS doesn't have a client shipped with it that can support Google's own e-mail.
It's called the gmail app. :) If I was a phone manufacturer, I wouldn't waste a single minute of my development time writing an email app to support Gmail when Google already provides a spectacular gmail app. (complete with all the gmail features like tagging, priority inbox, etc etc)

EDIT: I'll concede that if you're checking a corporate email account in addition to your gmail account that it might be nice to have all that handled in a single email app, especially if it did a combined inbox. Still, the advantages of the Gmail app would outweigh that for me.

Last edited:

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
you need to use the gmail app for gmail.

Not true. Maybe to get push, but you can certainly use the stock email,app. I prefer having all my emails in one app.

Interestingly enough, the stock e-mail app on both my phones show the lowest interval as 15 minutes.
Like I said...mine shows 5 as the lowest interval. Are you sure you're not in landscape mode? Try scrolling up....you know...to the top of the list :) or switching to portrait so the whole list shows.

6c0bc57c-17ee-b70a.jpg

What are you talking about? It ships with two...the gmail app and the stock app.

Last edited:

OpenTrackRacer

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, e-mails aren't "Randomly scattered" throughout my inbox. They're arranged quite logically by date. I personally despise threaded e-mail. That's above and beyond the fact that Gmail often lumps e-mails together that aren't even part of the same conversation.

No dice on 5 minutes. The lowest choice is 15 minutes and this is on two separate S3 phones.

I guess Gmail did come on the phone. After spending so much time setting up Cyanogenmod I'd forgotten that I didn't need to download it. If only they'd allow you to turn off that damn conversation view like they do on the web version.

I guess I'm stuck with K-9 for now.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's a Cyanogen limitation? Not sure...all I can tell you is it's 5 minutes on mine....got the screenshot above to prove it.

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, e-mails aren't "Randomly scattered" throughout my inbox. They're arranged quite logically by date. I personally despise threaded e-mail. That's above and beyond the fact that Gmail often lumps e-mails together that aren't even part of the same conversation.
Surely you've had back and forth email threads that might have a dozen replies or more; is it really easier to have that many emails clogging up your inbox rather than have it represented by just 1? To each their own man, but in my mind there's simply no objective* reason why threaded email isn't superior in every possible way. Also, I've used gmail for years and I've never had it incorrectly lump unrelated emails together. Hmmm..

* subjective yes, I get that some people just don't like change or are used to a certain workflow, etc.

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's a Cyanogen limitation? Not sure...all I can tell you is it's 5 minutes on mine....got the screenshot above to prove it.

Even if polling every 5 minutes is an option, it's sure not a good one. That would have a pretty negative impact on your battery.

xemtra

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
to the OP. yes you can use the stock email app for Push gmail. All you have to do is set up the account as a "corporate" account, aka exchange. You type in your gmail addy and psw then make sure to select Manual setup. then let it choose the default ports and it should work fine. i have one of my gmail accounts setup as push because i have certain work emails fwded to that account. I also have my corporate exchange email setup so there are no problems with having multiple exchange emails setup on my Verizon Galaxy s3.

edit: just fyi, under domain\user name my says: \johndoe@gmail.com. and under exchange server it should say "m.google.com" and i have use secure connection (ssl) checked and use client certificate unchecked.

Last edited:

OpenTrackRacer

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't know minsc, I've been using e-mail since 1985 so while it's possible I don't like change, I've had to change many, many times over the years and have done so without problems. I run a company and do sales. Do you have any idea how many unrelated e-mails I get with a subject like "Quote", "Quote request" or "RFQ"? I usually work with 100+ legitimate e-mails per day at work and the lack of threading doesn't bother me at all. If threading was for everyone, Google wouldn't have the option to disable it on the web interface would they?

I don't know what the scoop is EvilMonkey but my screenshot is attached. Also, going back to what e-mail apps the phone ships with, only one of them (the Samsung version) works with TouchWiz on the home screen to unlock straight to the message. Just to clarify too, I'm not running Cyanogenmod on the S3, it's on other devices.

All is not lost however since xemtra had exactly what I was looking for and his tip works perfectly.

Thanks for the help!

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
My minimum on the stock email app is 15 minutes also. The Gmail app is push.

I just started using Inomail the other day and after it got set up I went back into settings and was given the option of push for Gmail. It wasn't there during the initial set up. My other email account does not give me the push option even though it is an imap account.

Toby

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Just upgrading from the Skyrocket to an S3 and noticed this. Strange since the Skyrocket email app had added Push in the ICS upgrade. Not sure why they removed it from the S3 version. My minimum on the S3 is 5 minutes. The reason I use it even for GMail is the Combined Inbox view.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Use Gmail as Microsoft Exchange account. Set up manual and it should fill in everything correctly.

I use it for the combined inbox as well as the stock email app automatically downloads pictures which is nice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
just remember the term "android based" kindle fire is android based but i doubt if it has any google friendly features ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
to the OP. yes you can use the stock email app for Push gmail. All you have to do is set up the account as a "corporate" account, aka exchange. You type in your gmail addy and psw then make sure to select Manual setup. then let it choose the default ports and it should work fine. i have one of my gmail accounts setup as push because i have certain work emails fwded to that account. I also have my corporate exchange email setup so there are no problems with having multiple exchange emails setup on my Verizon Galaxy s3.

edit: just fyi, under domain\user name my says: \johndoe@gmail.com. and under exchange server it should say "m.google.com" and i have use secure connection (ssl) checked and use client certificate unchecked.

I tried this and it just stalls out at the "Checking incoming server settings" with the swirling circle.

Any ideas?

-Suntan

TNScrambler

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I tried this and it just stalls out at the "Checking incoming server settings" with the swirling circle.

Any ideas?

-Suntan

Did you make sure you changed the server to "m.google.com" when I set up my galaxy nexus with the stock JB email app it auto populates that field with "gmail.com" and it won't connect to the server, you have to put "m.google.com" in the server field.

Justin

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I have m.google.com for the exchange server. Still nada.

Also make sure that your username includes @gmail.com. The email app truncates your email address in the domain field when you get to the same screen where you select the exchange server.

Sent from my SGSIII

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2