I don't have many apps downloaded and have turned off many sync options. Yet on average, my RAM usage is anywhere between 650MB to 0.85GB. This seems a bit high in my opinion. The system doesn't lag and works just fine but I wanted to get other's opinion on this.

How much RAM does your SIII usually use?
    08-09-2012 01:26 AM
    Mine is typically around 0.9 gb. I won't worry about it until it starts lagging but I don't see that happening.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    08-09-2012 01:34 AM
    Mine uses less thEn one when it doesent have anything running but wheni do its more then one and it has never lagged

Sent from my Galaxy SIII on Rezurrection Rom and OC/UV using Red Xparent Tapatalk 2
    08-09-2012 01:39 AM
    I've found that it usually hover around the 500 mb range for me until I start browsing, using apps etc. I do get upto 0.9 gb. I do have the 2 gb LTE version, so i'm not as worried. I wonder if with future updates, better management can be had.
    08-09-2012 05:33 AM
    Whenever I check I'm over the 1gb mark but that's because I have close to 10 apps running. I'm not worried about the lag as the 2gb's should be good for a long time.
    08-09-2012 09:15 AM
    The system doesn't lag and works just fine
    Of course it doesn't lag and works fine. Don't worry about the usage. Educate yourself on how Memory actually works. Since I literally posted this yesterday, I'll just quote it, but read the article and be amazed! Well, not so much as "amazed" as you'll understand how things work. It's 2012...you don't need a bunch of free RAM anymore. That idea went out years ago.

I'm using .9GB (700MB free).

Really though, it manages memory fine. The idea you have to have "free" memory is an idea that really isn't correct any longer. A bunch of free memory sitting there doing absolutely nothing is useless and there's no point in it. Better to load it up with something.

Of course, some other people will disagree. But the general idea is an app sits in memory so it loads instantaneous (or nearly) if you need it. If you need something else that's not in memory, it empties the enough memory to make room (again, nearly instantaneously), then loads the new request into memory (a slower process than if it was sitting in the memory ready to be used).

If the memory was always empty, everything you requested would have to load into memory everytime you load it. A bunch of empty memory should make the phone slower since every request would have to be loaded into memory, not to mention it's going to take more battery and several other detrimental things to load the app everytime it needs it.

Or picture it like this....if you open the Facebook app 40 times a day, it's going to load a lot faster if it keeps that in memory than if it doesn't and thus has to load it into memory every time you launch it. It's a similar concept to your browser caching content so it loads faster. You can empty the cache, but the next time you visit the page, it's going to load slower because it has to read everything again (and have you every heard anyone suggest emptying the browser's cache in order to speed up the browsing experience? No).

It's also similar to how Windows works (since Vista). Programs load into memory in anticipation you will want to use them....but if not, there's really no tradeoff since unloading them from memory doesn't take any time. I remember several friends loading Vista, looking at how much memory it used compared to XP, and dismissing it outright just because of that, despite it managed memory completely different (don't get me wrong...plenty of reasons to dislike Vista but memory usage wasn't a valid one).

I think I got all that right, but here's a nice Android Central article explaining it better than I can: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

And that's from a year ago....Android's only gotten better with Memory management.
    And for one more really crappy analogy: Assuming you have a lawnmower, do you have a container of gas sitting there ready to be used when you need it? Wouldn't it be a lot slower if that container was always empty, so every time you wanted to mow the grass, you had to throw the container in the car, go to the gas station, fill it up, and then go back home? Well, it's the same idea....keep the gas container full so it's there when you need it. Having an empty one sitting there is useless and makes the entire process slower. And does it cost anything to have that full container sitting there in the garage? No....it's just sitting there taking up space...but it would be taking up the same space if it was empty...it just would be useless since it's empty </crappy analogy>
    slosh74 and yoon82 like this.
    08-09-2012 10:54 AM
    Thank you so much for clarifying and posting this! Much appreciated! :]
    08-09-2012 11:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD