Making the switch from iPhone. Any tip tricks or anything ?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
just be prepared to have an open mind and remember its a completely different operating system, not just a new phone so theres gona be a learning curve

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I just helped a friend set up her GSIII after using iPhones for years. First thing I did was removed everything from her screens to avoid the mess/clutter these phones come with. I still don't understand why carriers and mfgs insist on loading all that crap on the screens out of the box. It's just a gigantic cluster, and becomes frustrating or even intimidating for some folks, which is just ridiculous.

Next I loaded Apex Launcher (gives you multiple docks at the bottom for multiple apps to keep your screens clean, among other things), Beautiful Weather Widgets (for Clock/Weather widgets in all shapes, sizes and colors), Android Pro Widgets (for Facebook, Twitter, Messaging, Calendar). This gives you a great place to start, then tweak your phone as desired. Add or remove widgets, apps to your screens or dock, etc. There are certainly other launchers and widgets out there (Nova Launcher, HD Widgets, etc), I suggest checking them out to see what works best for you. But I always encourage people new to Android to start with a clean slate, and try a different launcher to give you more flexibility if stock TouchWiz doesn't float your boat. This is all simply what I like to do at first when setting up my phone or someone else's not familiar with Android, and certainly just my opinion. My friend LOVES all the stuff we did, btw.

Stay away from task killers, etc. No need for those. Live Wallpapers are cool to show off your slick device to friends, but tend to use your battery up quicker (maybe not as much these days, I don't use them at all myself), so not a great idea if you are concerned with battery life. Try Google Music, DoubleTwist or PowerAmp for your music library. Check out Zedge for notification sounds/ringtones, as well as some nice wallpapers. Try out Chrome or Dolphin Browsers (there are others too, plenty to choose from). Quickpic for your picture gallery. And Tapatalk to access forums like AndroidCentral from your phone.

Good luck!

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Ipt is right on the money.

But don't forget. Android is all about customization. Make the phone yours. Go nuts.

And you might want to get a couple security apps.

For tracking your phone it doesn't get better than Android Lost. Way better than your old find my iPhone. And for scanning for viruses I recommend Lookout. If you start getting spam and stupid ads in your notification bar then download lookout's Ad Network Detector.

Have fun

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
+1 for Lookout.

Everyone here is absolutely right, it's all about making it yours. Do whatever works for you. Try anything and everything. You can even make it look and act (sorta) like an iPhone with iLauncher. Although not sure why anyone would do that, but it's there if you want it. ;)

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
lol ive never understood people usin iphone themes and wallpapers on their android :)

there's always that one gullible person that actually believes it's an iPhone 5 ;)

I tried to get an iPhone theme but ask the free ones suck. I didn't really want it but I just wanted to show people my phone could beat the iPhone at being the iPhone :p

twstrickland

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Well I love it! Thanks for all the help. So far so good. There is a bit of a learning curve. But this kills the iPhone. One question is, how can I make a ringtone off of a song I bought from Google play music?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
ive never bought a song from google play but if the actual mp3 is on ur phone, theres some realy good mp3 cutter apps so u can cut it to start and end just how u want it as a ringtone

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
there's always that one gullible person that actually believes it's an iPhone 5 ;)

I tried to get an iPhone theme but ask the free ones suck. I didn't really want it but I just wanted to show people my phone could beat the iPhone at being the iPhone :p

LOL :)

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Well I love it! Thanks for all the help. So far so good. There is a bit of a learning curve. But this kills the iPhone. One question is, how can I make a ringtone off of a song I bought from Google play music?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

We don't buy songs download easy mp3 downloader.. And download ringdroid

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Anon_Emus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Celebrate...

Seriously, apps that have helped me with my customizations are Timeriffic, Calendar Snooze, Lightning Bug, Dolphin HD, Google Voice and What's App

ybcthanerd

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Making the switch from iPhone. Any tip tricks or anything I need to know besides turning off iMessage?

Google chrome browser ringdroid for ringtones use tha cloud to store music saves ton of space grab a memory card for large apps and grab a otter box for protection

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Google chrome browser ringdroid for ringtones use tha cloud to store music saves ton of space grab a memory card for large apps and grab a otter box for protection

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

all good suggestions apart from memory card for apps. the s3 wont read apps from an external card, just media

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1