09-22-2012 03:00 AM
248 ... 45678 ...
tools
    ps. And Bluetooth works fine for handsfree phone and audio streaming. And Wifi works well and is stable.
    08-10-2012 10:08 AM
    I am trying to wait to see if an update, possibly to JellyBean resolves the few small complaints I have. But at the same time I am eyeing CM9 and contemplating flashing it. I went through hell with the original Galaxy S (Vibrant) and was hoping that by the 3rd gen they would have these issues worked out.

Wondering if I should have stuck with HTC which was my original thought after the Vibrant...
    08-10-2012 10:12 AM
    whats the screen like on the Resound mate?
    08-10-2012 10:13 AM
    I don't like the fact that I don't have one, but Sprint has informed me that I will be eligible for an upgrade in Oct, so I will get it then, unless someone at Android Central is kind enough to send me one. If so please contact me via PM.

P. S I'll take either color and GB.
    08-10-2012 10:13 AM
    I am not finding TouchWiz to be that great. I cant use landscape mode for some reason (probably just a setting)...its locked into portrait unless the app specifically rotates the screen on its own.

I will be moving to Cyanogenmod 9 or 10 once we have a stable version...as long as I get to keep Allshare Cast capability.
    08-10-2012 10:22 AM
    I am not finding TouchWiz to be that great. I cant use landscape mode for some reason (probably just a setting)...its locked into portrait unless the app specifically rotates the screen on its own.

I will be moving to Cyanogenmod 9 or 10 once we have a stable version...as long as I get to keep Allshare Cast capability.
    just pull down the notification bar and tap "screen rotation"
    08-10-2012 10:29 AM
    I really love the phone. I actually like the size/weight/feel/design of the phone. It was one of the reasons I got it over the HOX (besides the specs).

I didn't like TouchWiz for it felt like Gingerbread and wasted too much space for a 4.8" phone without having options on customizing it. I am still trying to decide on whether I like Apex or Nova better.

I wish the LED light would work better and have customization like BB does. I loved it on BB and was excited about it on the S3 only to disappointed. Especially with it blinking. It would be better if it was just on. I had to turn it off for the blinking was waking my wife up in the middle of the night when I got an email or facebook notification. I tried LightFlow but it didn't work since I'm not rooted.
    08-10-2012 10:33 AM
    I'm a bit confused why so many people are saying it doesn't have Gorilla Glass. Everything I've read including what I thought was a press release from Samsung and Corning indicated that it's using Gorilla Glass 2. Am I missing something?

As far as gripes of the phone, I don't have many. It's a great phone but here's what I got:

• Meeting Reminders - Why does the phone wake when I go to dismiss or snooze a calendar reminder? Why can't I just swipe snooze and the phone goes back to sleep? Anybody know of a way to alter the behavior?
    • Main Clock/Weather Widget - It's annoying that if I tap on the clock, it takes me to weather. HTC got it right by making it so tapping the time takes you to the clock app and tapping on the weather takes you to the weather app.
    • Contacts -

1. I'm not sure what happened or why, but when I sync my Gmail and Corp. Exchange Mail and it imports my contacts, it imported people that I may have communicated with but never actually saved as a contact. This did not happen on my HTC Incredible 2.
    2. In addition, the joining of contacts or suggestions to join is nonexistent. Meaning, If I have two John Smiths, the phone does not suggest to join them together like HTC Sense does. So unless I'm missing something, I have to manually join everyone together.

I really do love the phone but these few things are driving me nuts. Any help on the Meeting Reminders and Contacts would be awesome.
    08-10-2012 10:37 AM
    Well my mom picked one up a few days ago and I have to say software wise I don't like it. Status bar is too cluttered with settings and the s-voice is not the most user friendly plus I really don't like how they didn't use the ICS layout for the buttons you get a menu, home and a back button what's that about. But I only had it for 15 minutes or so..... so I might have a different opinion on it after a few days use.
    08-10-2012 10:37 AM
    for those of you lamenting the loss of something like "just type" for web os, is it because you ate that OTA that killed universal search on the s3 on sprint? or because you dont know that if you long press the menu button it functions like the good ol search key on older android phones where you can search for anything?

im also amazed at the number of people that are complaining about lag... ive never had this phone stutter or lag on me at all, even with heavy multitasking including navigation at the same time. this is the first time ive had a phone capable of doing that and its truly refreshing. everyone thats played with my phone (including every ios user) has commented on how fast and smooth it is, which makes me wonder if its a touchwiz specific issue (i installed nova prime about an hour after using touchwiz), or if maybe people have power saving mode on or something?

i havnt had any wifi issues, but ive only really used wifi in my apartment in nyc... we'll see how it holds up when i get back to atlanta where my transformer prime was absolutely awful on wifi until i upgraded to a new router.

the only gripe i have with the phone is what verizon did to the wifi toggle in the quick settings menu and the associated wifi notification. locked boot loader would be a bigger issue for me if i wasnt such a :cat: about flashing roms on my phone, but thats really a verizon issue and not a gs3 specific issue
    08-10-2012 10:51 AM
    I don't like the location of the USB plug on the bottom of the phone.

I don't care for the stock keyboard, I find the height of the keys too short for my portly fingers.

I'm having trouble with the snooze feature on the clock, the snooze never goes off and has caused me to be late for work more than once.

The ring tone selcetion is terrible, not one tone is an actual ring tone, all are wierd music garbage that is hard to hear especially when there is background noise. To be blunt the ringtones are just GAY!!!
    08-10-2012 11:04 AM
    Things I hate!!!

1. I should be able to adjust my brightness from anywhere on the device. Why is it not in the drop notification bar?
    2. There is an awkward spacing between widgets and apps on the main screens. They should be closer with less space.
    3. Why didn't they keep ics folders ? The new folders suck
    4. Why does it take so long for the task manager to come up after holding home?
    5. Why isn't dictation built directly into the keyboard ?
    6. Why do games like asphalt 7 , nova3, and spiderman play like crap on the s4 chip
    7. Why is there no easy way to edit and enhance video and pictures.
    8. Why is there cracking around the plastic back of my phone.
    9. Why when I hit gps from the drop menu it doesnt turn on all 3 tabs. I always have to exit and turn those on.
    10. Where are the rest of ics wallpapers and live wallpapers from the past
    11. S voice not great
    08-10-2012 11:04 AM
    Alrighty, first things first:

I love my GS3, I really do. It's a universal step up from my Nokia N81 GB which got to a deviating state (Screen turns white if I slide it and can only be turned back to normal by restarting the phone ... and the viruses that phone carried).

That said, it has a couple of problems that I would like to see fixed through future updates if possible:

1) TouchWiz: This is a pretty cool looking theme, but it's not as practical as I found the stock ICS theme to be. As a result I ended up downloading Go Launcher EX and using the stock ICS theme they offer. In addition, TouchWiz is when sliding between the screen menus. It's laggy when leaving a big app (Game or such). If Samsung wants me to use it, they will have to do better.

2) The screen rotation: It's annoying. It just is ... I have to keep it turned off at most times. Problem 3 continues this:

3) The Video Player/Youtube App: It doesn't auto-rotate. The videoplayer can only rotate to the one side if you don't have the "Auto-rotation" option on. Youtube doesn't rotate at all ... AND there is no "enlarge" button for the video. So unless you have the option of rotation on you won't get a full screen.

4) S-Voice: Whether it's my accent (English is not my first langauge) I don't know, but it just doesn't seem to recognize 98% of what I say.

5) Auto-brightness: It feels like in certain apps the brightness is way too low and it might turn higher for few seconds before turning back low.

6) The default browser: It feels generic, it crashes quiet often.

7) Certain apps seems to not work with the GS3 because of certain things in the GS3 itself. An example is the App2SD.e

I know I have more complaints, but the device is pretty damn good. Either Samsung can find a way to solve these problems or I will just have to work around them: I ain't getting rid of this phone any time soon
    For tha screen rotation have tried to calibrate ut gyroscope in settings, and for tha auto brightness jus turn it off and use full brightness, and for tha default browser i use google chrome instead

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    08-10-2012 11:10 AM

I don't care for the stock keyboard, I find the height of the keys too short for my portly fingers.

I'm having trouble with the snooze feature on the clock, the snooze never goes off and has caused me to be late for work more than once.

The ring tone selcetion is terrible, not one tone is an actual ring tone, all are wierd music garbage that is hard to hear especially when there is background noise. To be blunt the ringtones are just GAY!!!
    I use ringdroid and jus make my own ringtones

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    08-10-2012 11:12 AM
    I'm a bit confused why so many people are saying it doesn't have Gorilla Glass. Everything I've read including what I thought was a press release from Samsung and Corning indicated that it's using Gorilla Glass 2. Am I missing something?
    I think people are saying it because the screen isn't fairing that well.

To be honest, I didn't look it up recently to see if it does. I just know that having the phone roughly a month, and using it the same way as my DINC, the screen has more scratches and blemishes. I had a day 1 DINC, that the screen, outside of one scratch, looked brand new after ~2.5 years with no protector ever.

If it does have Gorilla glass, then my home town company really let me down.
    08-10-2012 11:13 AM

I had this same problem, you have to actually TELL it how many snoozes and time between, make sure you hit SAVE in the upper right corner. Unlike other menu options, this doesn't save when you hit back.
    08-10-2012 11:14 AM
    Things I hate!!!

1. I should be able to adjust my brightness from anywhere on the device. Why is it not in the drop notification bar?
    2. There is an awkward spacing between widgets and apps on the main screens. They should be closer with less space.
    3. Why didn't they keep ics folders ? The new folders suck
    4. Why does it take so long for the task manager to come up after holding home?
    5. Why isn't dictation built directly into the keyboard ?
    6. Why do games like asphalt 7 , nova3, and spiderman play like crap on the s4 chip
    7. Why is there no easy way to edit and enhance video and pictures.
    8. Why is there cracking around the plastic back of my phone.
    9. Why when I hit gps from the drop menu it doesnt turn on all 3 tabs. I always have to exit and turn those on.
    10. Where are the rest of ics wallpapers and live wallpapers from the past
    11. S voice is not great
    12. The led light acts weird sometimes it stays on all day for a random notification.
    13. Gps Won't lock sometimes.
    14. No textile option for turning on hotspot
    15. Needs to be more ics /jelly bean looking. Keep all the extra features added and give it more of a jellybean styling with lighter touchwiz accents. Hopefully this will be considered when we finally get the jelly bean update. hopefully with enhanced project butter features.
    08-10-2012 11:16 AM

u can use any mp3 file as a ringtone. if dont want music, try the Zedge app for ring and alert tones
    08-10-2012 11:29 AM
    Email app is the worst ever. You figured by now they would have gotten it right.

Searching pics in Google search within browser is awful and buggy. It's sad that Apple can do Google pics flawless. I hope Samsung and Google fix this.

Those are the two most embarrassing things to have.
    08-10-2012 11:30 AM

I actually like it being on bottom rather than on top like it was with my Captivate. I used the keyboard and realized why people were complaining and just had it long enough to install SwiftKey.

I agree with the sounds especially for notifications. I just want a short sounds to be able to tell what notification it was instead of the nature sounds. Anyone have a suggestion where to get the notification sounds that were on other Android phones?
    08-10-2012 11:33 AM
    u can use any mp3 file as a ringtone. if dont want music, try the Zedge app for ring and alert tones
    You answered my question before I submitted it. Thanks!
    08-10-2012 11:36 AM
    I think people are saying it because the screen isn't fairing that well.

To be honest, I didn't look it up recently to see if it does. I just know that having the phone roughly a month, and using it the same way as my DINC, the screen has more scratches and blemishes. I had a day 1 DINC, that the screen, outside of one scratch, looked brand new after ~2.5 years with no protector ever.

If it does have Gorilla glass, then my home town company really let me down.
    Good to know. I had both Incredibles and never got a single scratch on either so I guess I'll have to be extra careful with this one because I hate screen protectors.

Does anyone have any recommendations on screen protectors? I just hate it when I am constantly reminded I have one on the phone which is why I don't use them.
    08-10-2012 11:36 AM
    You answered my question before I submitted it. Thanks!
    lol it must be the UK/US time difference... our time is ahead
    mlett likes this.
    08-10-2012 11:48 AM
    Wow, lots of issues with this phone! I was thinking of getting it instead of the iPhone I have now but never mind now.
    08-10-2012 11:56 AM
    Nope, none of the (available) third party e-mail or web browsers address my complaints. The app stutter is a Touchwiz issue so you'd need to flash a different ROM to get rid of it.
    Actually, that's not true about having to flash a custom ROM. You can easily replace the launcher with one from Google Play Store. I'm running Nova Launcher right now. They have a free version, and a $3 version (which just gives you more customization options). It's very fast, and looks practically identical to the vanilla Android launcher.

And there's tons of other launchers out there, too. I used to run GoLauncherEX for a while. That one was great, too, and it's free. Just hit the Play Store, search "Launcher" and you'll find plenty. There's even some 3D launchers out there to play with
    08-10-2012 11:57 AM
248 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD