09-22-2012 03:00 AM
248 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Wow, lots of issues with this phone! I was thinking of getting it instead of the iPhone I have now but never mind now.
    So that's actually one of the drawbacks of threads like these. Don't let this thread sway you from buying the phone. It'a GREAT phone but there are nuances of any phone that will drive some nuts while others couldn't care less. Go get your hands on it and try it out. See if it does what you need. I would highly recommend the phone.
    Princesa likes this.
    08-10-2012 12:04 PM
    Wow, lots of issues with this phone! I was thinking of getting it instead of the iPhone I have now but never mind now.
    remember most of these "issues" are about stock apps on the phone which can easily be fixed with free alternatives
    Princesa likes this.
    08-10-2012 12:04 PM
    I detest the way MMS messages are displayed, period...

And yes, I know I can get an app, but why?
    Limjelo likes this.
    08-10-2012 12:08 PM
    coz thats what androids all about.. otherwise get a dumb phone lol
    neiljay6 likes this.
    08-10-2012 12:10 PM
    I find the back capacitive button to be poorly placed for one handed use, and too often brush the screen (particularly annoying when it clicks through an ad).

The voice quality is noticeably inferior to my old DROID X. However, the GS3 WiFi is much better, and the GPS locks within seconds, so better here on both fronts. Data seems to drop less often on the GS3 as well, and the transition from 3g/LTE to WiFi seems smoother.

Touchwiz. Ugg. I didn't last long with it.

That's the best I can do. I *really* like this phone.

Sent from my GS3.
    08-10-2012 12:23 PM
    whats the screen like on the Resound mate?
    I'm sure it's not as nice as the GS3 screen. It is definitely hard to read when you're outdoors in bright sunlight. But, other than the trouble with being in bright sunlight, it works just fine for me. I don't watch movies on it or play many games, though.
    08-10-2012 12:24 PM
    I'm sure it's not as nice as the GS3 screen. It is definitely hard to read when you're outdoors in bright sunlight. But, other than the trouble with being in bright sunlight, it works just fine for me. I don't watch movies on it or play many games, though.
    cool u prob made right choice then mate. s3 screen is terrible in direct sun too
    08-10-2012 12:31 PM
    It runs android
    08-10-2012 01:59 PM
    It runs android
    and u bought one???? lol
    neiljay6 likes this.
    08-10-2012 02:01 PM
    the email widget doesn't display incoming email...unless you're connection is quick, on wifi. That, or you go into your email through the email's icon application to see all the email that came in. I think blackberry might have the best email though.

The calendar widget glitches as well. Too often. It's like when you watch VHS and you get the magical white lines that sway a picture in a direction.

The YouTube widget...why did they remove the search option? Now you have to watch a video before you can do your search.

The text message application.. Texts have pluralized while scrolling..how can i explain this..? H m m m..the when you scroll down the text messaging list, the names will stay, but an overlay with the names will scroll down..so you're seeing double

Swype. Or lack there of. I had to download an earlier version that isn't nearly as good a the one on the galaxy s2. (nit picking)

Motion controls, for me, the one that zooms internet pages in and out, works sporadically.

The screen isn't that bright as the s2(I'm nit picking)

The volume button is a bit too low sitting on the phone, and it is pressed to easily. (nit picking)

The scrolling of the widgets on the pull down notifications. I don't want it to scroll left, then i have to move it right to get it out of airplane mode. (nit picking)

The new way to select an alternate keyboard (nit picking)

The home button. Jeez Louise.. why is it so small? They should have made it larger and rectangular. It does feel like it'll break soon..but I'll give it benefit of doubt..

Can't complain about bloatware because it is what it is...don't use it.

not knowing how to update the weather manually...the Yahoo weather you see when you turn the phone on..

Internet...Samsung's internet browser sucks. Some sites can't load the full website. And forcing it through "request desktop site" fails. Then the ones that pull up the full sites, when you press something, it'll turn to the mobile site for that page.

My screen has flickered. An issue because a YouTube video is out about someone's screen flickering (it could be my glitchy calendar widget) uncontrollably and I'm worried if it'll happen to me. My screen didn't flicker as bad as the s3 in the video though

When using the stock headphones, people have complained about crackling in the phone.. And MAYBE while I'm on 3g or wifi, it affects the call quality...not sure though

I didn't expect much from the smart stay, but i was a bit surprised at how handy it came in. Maybe it doesn't work as well because I'm African American decent? (nit picking, obviously, but i still put it as a con.)

Too glossy (nit picking)

Multiple steps to get back to the call screen when in a call.. (serious nit pick)

This one is a big one for me... only certain applications allow you to access the clipboard. in everything else, long pressing gives you highlight, cut, paste only. This sucks because I'm always using my clipboard if i get, say,a text message from a friend and i want to copy a few things and paste it in my search bar. I don't want a third party application for a clipboard because the galaxy s2 enabled you to use the clipboard anytime, anywhere, regardless of application.

The speaker...it isn't bad AT ALL. It's just... Well, it doesn't have as much bass as the galaxy s 2. So it seems less powerful, but it's still loud for ringtones and listening to music.. It's not as bad as being compared to the evo to evo 3d speaker, cuz that was a big step down.. And too this day,i think Motorola had the best speakers in the game.

I plug my phone in the computer and i miss the s 2's option of charge only, connect to PC and whatever else was there.

The Good
    I like that you can hide applications.

i like the physical home button than htc's dedicated capacitive. (i prefer physical buttons, and yes,i go miss keyboards)

Annnnnnnnnd, you can hold the "menu" button down until you have the ability to do a search or find, or open a url and type in awebsite if you're in a browser. H t c lacked that on the evo lte..or if there is a way,i didn't find it

The svdo chip enables you to talk while browsing 3g (also on the evo lte). I would've gotten the evo if the s3 didn't have it.

I like Samsung's touchwiz. It had faults,but it's not bogged down like htc. And my evo and evo 3d were too bogged. I'm not a rooter, so i want things to be superb out the box, like Marper said. Twiz is closer to stock Android

The phone is very light for its size. I prefer that cuz when in my pocket it doesn't sway my pants.

The radios. They are SUPERB. GPS is great! Signal strength is better than the s2 in my area, my wifi never cut off while in use (and *#0011# fixed the issue for me on finding signal). Using the *#, turning off the power save is equivalent to the evo lte's. I don't use Bluetooth because my ears are too small to balance any earpiece, lol. So i cant judge that feature

You can turn on an equalizer while in calls. And the option to use background noise control.

Removable battery. (reason why i didn't get the Evo as well.)

The capacitive buttons almost disappear..cool, but not a selling point for me.

Keis is damn handy. May not be too polished, but damn handy.

The battery lassts a long time compared to the s 2.

The stock music application...I saw someone complain... But, it's a stock application. I have Power Amp and it drains the battery more consistently so i use it less and use the stock more, until P A developers configure it better.

Ooh yeah,a direct way to control your data connection inn the pull-down... That's great!

For me, the good outweighs the bad. I'm satisfied.

Sorry for any misspellings, but I'm Swyping.

Forgot to add:

Bad
    The picture search in the stock browser using Google... I used to be able to long press on a picture and copy it in my clipboard.. now, not so much. I don't know when this feature was removed. Maybe after the update a few days ago?

Screen turns on using the text application. Others have complained, but I'll add my .02 (incorrect character)

Good
    I like that the text application is customizable though.
    08-10-2012 03:54 PM
    Never dropped it or had any harsh moments butbi already have two small scratches in the glass no idea what they came from. Keys are in a Separate pocket
    This happened to me as well. Still baffled by it, no idea how it got scratched...

Love the phone, S voice is my only gripe with my S3.
    08-10-2012 04:05 PM
    is there something wrong with u lol?
    Yes. Terribly hung over
    08-10-2012 04:06 PM
    Yes. Terribly hung over
    lmao well its 22:07 here and im on the Stella Artois mate. want one?
    Johnly likes this.
    08-10-2012 04:08 PM
    Not really happy with the physical home button
    Didn't like Touchwiz and easily threw Apex on
    Noticed going to HOME was slow, applied the S Voice fix
    SUPER happy with my S3... Best phone I ever had.
    08-10-2012 04:15 PM
    Its unfortunate to hear about people having troubles with signal. Especially WIFI signal problems as my WIFI signal is always rock solid. Anywoo my quibbles :

love the look and feel of the phone in hand.That being said, it's a bit too slippery.

The screen in direct sunlight is not so good

That's it for me.
    08-10-2012 05:34 PM
    the only thing i do not like is that i can not figure out how to set text ring tones. i have the at&t s3. Can any one help
    08-10-2012 06:13 PM
    Try Enhanced Email. I use it and I would never go back. It's worth the money. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    08-10-2012 06:21 PM
    i have no idea what that is i just want to be able to set it from my phone.
    08-10-2012 06:22 PM
    Weak wifi reception
    08-10-2012 06:58 PM
    I would have preferred a capacitive buttone to the physical button, and that probably would have saved them a lot of $$ and a lot of grief with Apple.

Oh, and by the way, why does it take so long to get back to the home screen when you press it?
    08-10-2012 08:17 PM
    I would have preferred a capacitive buttone to the physical button, and that probably would have saved them a lot of $$ and a lot of grief with Apple.

Oh, and by the way, why does it take so long to get back to the home screen when you press it?

Did you disable the s voice shortcut?

That cured it for me. But still, the response is not a split second.
    08-10-2012 08:24 PM
    what I don't like is I can't get my computer to recognize the phone via usb connection. always get a MTP failed, tried windows xp, vista, and w7. tried all usb ports, multiple cords, even did a factory reset on my phone. re-installed samsung drivers multiple times, tried KIES. nothing seems to work. not sure how I'm going to root if my computer won't recognize phone.
    08-10-2012 08:56 PM
    it does not feel "solid" guess I a just used to htc after having samsung for awhile.
    08-11-2012 12:59 AM
    I also think the users that do not have problems will not be as vocal as the users with problems, for obvious reasons. (I have a problem and I want it fix right NOW vs I have no problem, so I will just move along.) The quality of my S3 is quite good. I have no complaints about it (coming from an iPhone 4). And I also don't have much s/w related issues. I dislike the email app in the S3 but then again, I am not super happy about iPhone 4's lack of including attachment options either. I use Nova Prime and like it.

I think as long as we use any type of technology, we are still going to be guinea pigs to the manufacturers. For example, lets try adaptive window wipers; hey it works, lets keep using it. Or, boo, it doesn't work, lets not keep it. Technology will always evolve, as will the users; so, users will always be guinea pigs.
    Well unfortunately you fail to see the point. As consumers we once had a say about that did not work, but now, we are comfortable in accepting less for more or should I say, crap for more money. If you purchased a home and after three weeks of living in it, none of the windows would open, would you cut another hole in a wall to let air in ? NO, so why must we pay these exorbitant prices for something that DOES not live up to they hype.

Take for example the drum beat up to the S3, every forum, include AC chimed in on how sleek it is, the size of the screen the out of the box performance. NONE NOT ONE took the challenge to be a real consumer evaluator for the product, instead, they took the path, as usual, of least resistence, like the main stream media and sold the product for the vendor in their half baked reviews.

Yes, sammy invested money in the design and all that, but a POS is just that regardless of the cost and for those of us that utilize these devices for business, it's not a game, its real life and money and if my productivity drops due to faulty bt, wifi, call connection, lag, what recourse do I have, ROOT, sorry. Unfortunately, rooting has become the defacto OUT for sammy and other vendors but has no place in the real world, while in fact, those of us that use these devices to make a living, continue to be at the mercy of the OEM and carriers as they continue to wash their hands of producing AND supporting a device that works. Quality in a product is measurable, and they are not meeting the bar..
    08-11-2012 01:48 AM
    I'm not trying to be insightful, but saying that the screen "definitely hard to read outdoors" is like saying that "it does not rain as hard when I'm inside", be real. The screen is barely visible when you are outdoors. You have to use your shadow to even see it. This screen is HORRIBLE. Thank you.
    08-11-2012 01:58 AM
248 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD