So what DON'T you like about the GS3?

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Never dropped it or had any harsh moments butbi already have two small scratches in the glass no idea what they came from. Keys are in a Separate pocket

This happened to me as well. Still baffled by it, no idea how it got scratched...

Love the phone, S voice is my only gripe with my S3.

qdigga

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Not really happy with the physical home button
Didn't like Touchwiz and easily threw Apex on
Noticed going to HOME was slow, applied the S Voice fix
SUPER happy with my S3... Best phone I ever had.

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Its unfortunate to hear about people having troubles with signal. Especially WIFI signal problems as my WIFI signal is always rock solid. Anywoo my quibbles :

love the look and feel of the phone in hand.That being said, it's a bit too slippery.

The screen in direct sunlight is not so good

That's it for me.

droidguy15

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Try Enhanced Email. I use it and I would never go back. It's worth the money. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

lteitelb

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I would have preferred a capacitive buttone to the physical button, and that probably would have saved them a lot of $$ and a lot of grief with Apple.

Oh, and by the way, why does it take so long to get back to the home screen when you press it?

chasesta

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I would have preferred a capacitive buttone to the physical button, and that probably would have saved them a lot of $$ and a lot of grief with Apple.

Oh, and by the way, why does it take so long to get back to the home screen when you press it?

Did you disable the s voice shortcut?

That cured it for me. But still, the response is not a split second.

fechhelm

May 26, 2010
Visit site
what I don't like is I can't get my computer to recognize the phone via usb connection. always get a MTP failed, tried windows xp, vista, and w7. tried all usb ports, multiple cords, even did a factory reset on my phone. re-installed samsung drivers multiple times, tried KIES. nothing seems to work. not sure how I'm going to root if my computer won't recognize phone.

Marper

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I also think the users that do not have problems will not be as vocal as the users with problems, for obvious reasons. (I have a problem and I want it fix right NOW vs I have no problem, so I will just move along.) The quality of my S3 is quite good. I have no complaints about it (coming from an iPhone 4). And I also don't have much s/w related issues. I dislike the email app in the S3 but then again, I am not super happy about iPhone 4's lack of including attachment options either. I use Nova Prime and like it.

I think as long as we use any type of technology, we are still going to be guinea pigs to the manufacturers. For example, lets try adaptive window wipers; hey it works, lets keep using it. Or, boo, it doesn't work, lets not keep it. Technology will always evolve, as will the users; so, users will always be guinea pigs.

Well unfortunately you fail to see the point. As consumers we once had a say about that did not work, but now, we are comfortable in accepting less for more or should I say, crap for more money. If you purchased a home and after three weeks of living in it, none of the windows would open, would you cut another hole in a wall to let air in ? NO, so why must we pay these exorbitant prices for something that DOES not live up to they hype.

Take for example the drum beat up to the S3, every forum, include AC chimed in on how sleek it is, the size of the screen the out of the box performance. NONE NOT ONE took the challenge to be a real consumer evaluator for the product, instead, they took the path, as usual, of least resistence, like the main stream media and sold the product for the vendor in their half baked reviews.

Yes, sammy invested money in the design and all that, but a POS is just that regardless of the cost and for those of us that utilize these devices for business, it's not a game, its real life and money and if my productivity drops due to faulty bt, wifi, call connection, lag, what recourse do I have, ROOT, sorry. Unfortunately, rooting has become the defacto OUT for sammy and other vendors but has no place in the real world, while in fact, those of us that use these devices to make a living, continue to be at the mercy of the OEM and carriers as they continue to wash their hands of producing AND supporting a device that works. Quality in a product is measurable, and they are not meeting the bar..

Marper

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure it's not as nice as the GS3 screen. It is definitely hard to read when you're outdoors in bright sunlight. But, other than the trouble with being in bright sunlight, it works just fine for me. I don't watch movies on it or play many games, though.

I'm not trying to be insightful, but saying that the screen "definitely hard to read outdoors" is like saying that "it does not rain as hard when I'm inside", be real. The screen is barely visible when you are outdoors. You have to use your shadow to even see it. This screen is HORRIBLE. Thank you.

Marper

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I detest the way MMS messages are displayed, period...

And yes, I know I can get an app, but why?

Thank you!!!! WHY is the question. I know that everyone likes the look, the feel, the screen and the "THE'S", but what about functionality??????? Does no one care that the phone IS A PHONE ? Smart of NOT!! Is all you all care about is aesthetics? I've got a bridge to sell you all. I'm tired of settling for crap "cheep expensive crap". That's why I don't shop at IKEA - I want furniture that is QUALITY and I don't have to assemble myself for the same cost.

When O when, are we going to get back to quality as a measure. I'm not an iFAN, but when you compare both cost and QUALITY - sammy got nothing on them, but I don't like the platform because I don't like being LOCKED into a device. With that said, most, if not the majority of my corporate customer are choosing the iFAN path cause they KNOW they will get their money's worth. When will ANDROID FANS demand the same ? Get real peeps.

Marper

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
So that's actually one of the drawbacks of threads like these. Don't let this thread sway you from buying the phone. It'a GREAT phone but there are nuances of any phone that will drive some nuts while others couldn't care less. Go get your hands on it and try it out. See if it does what you need. I would highly recommend the phone.

If you reason for getting this phone "smart device" is to be in any where close to business use, it's not the phone. Go for the iPhone, you will have less problems, have a better experience and better radio recption and capabilities this phone will not provide. When I test the "NEXT" phone on the market for my customers I use the following use case: hands free, vehicle dock, consistent performance, wifi, bt, corp mail notifications and functionality and many other tests to provide my customers a recommendation of best fit. Android is a semi-mature phone OS and works well with the nexus line in all categories, however, sammy has it wrong and it's not a phone I would recommend to anyone seeking business functionality. The fact is, its fast processor and memory are all impacted when you run true "business apps" or just apps from google play.

Marper

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to wait to see if an update, possibly to JellyBean resolves the few small complaints I have. But at the same time I am eyeing CM9 and contemplating flashing it. I went through hell with the original Galaxy S (Vibrant) and was hoping that by the 3rd gen they would have these issues worked out.

Wondering if I should have stuck with HTC which was my original thought after the Vibrant...

Don't hold your breath. As long as sammy tweaks with this OS to try and establish their footprint, this series of problems will never be solved. I too used vibrant, sgs4g and sgsII and in each and every case, they exhibited the same problems, that were NOT documented by any of these forums in their so-called reviews. AND, if rooting is your path, once again, we all give them a pass to correcting the issus, don't fall for it.

Marper

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
for those of you lamenting the loss of something like "just type" for web os, is it because you ate that OTA that killed universal search on the s3 on sprint? or because you dont know that if you long press the menu button it functions like the good ol search key on older android phones where you can search for anything?

im also amazed at the number of people that are complaining about lag... ive never had this phone stutter or lag on me at all, even with heavy multitasking including navigation at the same time. this is the first time ive had a phone capable of doing that and its truly refreshing. everyone thats played with my phone (including every ios user) has commented on how fast and smooth it is, which makes me wonder if its a touchwiz specific issue (i installed nova prime about an hour after using touchwiz), or if maybe people have power saving mode on or something?

i havnt had any wifi issues, but ive only really used wifi in my apartment in nyc... we'll see how it holds up when i get back to atlanta where my transformer prime was absolutely awful on wifi until i upgraded to a new router.

the only gripe i have with the phone is what verizon did to the wifi toggle in the quick settings menu and the associated wifi notification. locked boot loader would be a bigger issue for me if i wasnt such a :cat: about flashing roms on my phone, but thats really a verizon issue and not a gs3 specific issue

LAG on this phone is definatley a problem. However, it does depend on what apps you use, the level of use as well. For example, I tested the phone out of the box with core apps and bloatware as my baseline. The phone performed as has been demonstrated in many forum reviews. However, as I began to load gplay apps as well as corporate email, tripit, budget software, AR apps, the phone immediately demonstrated LAG! but more profound than just lag. When I tap an application in stock - there are milisec's for the app to load; when loaded with business user daily apps, that tap turned into multiple seconds with a noticeable screen transition from home to the app.

Essentially, it really depends on what is being loaded on the device after CORE.