02-11-2013 11:30 AM
72 123
tools
    Never mind. For some reason, the root didn't work despite the SuperUser app being successfully installed. Rerooted and now Light Flow is doin' it's thing. Blue flashing and Red flashing seem to work. Haven't tried others.

OK, so I'm rooted and I've installed Light Flow (paid version; already owned it from my GNexus). I've enabled the S3 mode in the Light Flow app but I still can't get any LED notifications to work.

What colors work on the North American (dual-core) S3s? Are we restricted to certain ones? Even the ones labelled "slow flash blue" and "flash red" don't seem to work for me.

I know the app is working as I get vibrations correctly, just not the LED.
    08-10-2012 04:29 PM
    anyone know if having the LED set to be constantly on for a notification uses more or less battery than having it flash set at "fastest"?
    08-10-2012 05:50 PM
    anyone know if having the LED set to be constantly on for a notification uses more or less battery than having it flash set at "fastest"?
    I remember reading that it actually takes less battery for it to stay on, as it's a constant, because the flashing causes the system to constantly cycle on and off.

makes sense to me.
    08-10-2012 06:38 PM
    I remember reading that it actually takes less battery for it to stay on, as it's a constant, because the flashing causes the system to constantly cycle on and off.

makes sense to me.
    yeah thats the way i was thinkin man
    08-10-2012 06:47 PM
    I was all excited until the fact that you need to be rooted. I've had this phone for nearly 2 months and haven't gotten around to rooting yet. Call me lazy, but I'm waiting for a one click that doesn't trip the flash counter....and a good JB rom to flash afterwords.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    08-10-2012 09:40 PM
    flash counter 0 root is on xda now,...
    08-10-2012 09:55 PM
    Just got an update from the dev:

"It's very early stages, but after having my phone running at 100% cpu for many hours today producing diagnostics I think I've managed to get non rooted phones to issue the same command as rooted versions to stop that green led and map some correct colors.

It seems to be working with my hacked development version of lightflow. There's some work to get it working fully, but I now think it's possible.

If I get it working, at first the led will only be solid as it has the same issues as root for flashing, but if I manage to get flashing working on rooted phones I should also be able to do the same with non-rooted versions.

There's no guarantees, but I wanted to notify people as soon as possible in case they were considering rooting. It may be worthwhile holding out a few more days to see what progress can be made.

Thanks"

makes sense to me.
    The dev just posted in this thread that changing the LED color is what requires a system wake. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't wake up every single time it blinks the same color - that would be incredibly poor programming.

I was all excited until the fact that you need to be rooted. I've had this phone for nearly 2 months and haven't gotten around to rooting yet. Call me lazy, but I'm waiting for a one click that doesn't trip the flash counter....and a good JB rom to flash afterwords.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1739426

Even if you do trip the flash counter with a different method you can use Chainfire's Triangle Away to reset it to 0. That being said you should not attempt to root until you are 100% comfortable with all steps and understand the risks.
    junglejunkie likes this.
    08-10-2012 10:18 PM
    Definitely sounds like he is making some progress for us non-rooted users. Hoping he can make it work.
    08-10-2012 10:49 PM
    Is there still the issue where people are losing their IMEI? Last I read there was still an issue with that, and nobody was really sure how/why it was happening.

I'm not new to android or rooting , but I just can't justify the risk of bricking my device if my IMEI gets erased/lost.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    08-10-2012 10:53 PM
    Is there still the issue where people are losing their IMEI? Last I read there was still an issue with that, and nobody was really sure how/why it was happening.

I'm not new to android or rooting , but I just can't justify the risk of bricking my device if my IMEI gets erased/lost.
    I believe that was only with ROM flashing, not rooting.

There is now a method to backup your IMEI just in case:

[TOOL/GUIDE] Full NV Backup and Restore [SIMPLE] [08-03-2012] - xda-developers
    junglejunkie likes this.
    08-11-2012 12:56 AM
    The dev just posted in this thread that changing the LED color is what requires a system wake. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't wake up every single time it blinks the same color - that would be incredibly poor programming.

thanks for the clarification. I don't know how I missed that post
    08-11-2012 05:17 AM
    Hopefully the Jellybean compatibility problem gets fixed before the S3 gets Jellybean...
    08-11-2012 07:55 AM
    So I've got Light Flow successfully installed and working for everything except one pesky app. The app - Good for Enterprise; required for work email access - activates the LED along with other notifications when emails arrive. There is no separate option to disable with LED within the app. Trouble is, because of the S3's LED bug, the light just turns on as solid purple instead of flashing green (which is what it does on my GNexus).

Light Flow doesn't (or can't) take over this app's notification and shut down the purple LED and activate a flashing blue, which is what I'd like it to do. The app is explicitly supported by Light Flow and I've got Light Flow set to activate a flashing blue for this app, but it doesn't seem to take priority over the app's own LED notification. And as I mentioned there's no separate option within the app to turn off just the LED notifications.

Any Light Flow experts know how to make Light Flow override an app's LED notification? Is it even possible?

Edit: Never mind. Turns out the LED activity in the Good for Enterprise app is tied to sound. If the notification sound is set to Silent, the LED seems not light - or at least results in proper handoff to Light Flow. So I set Good to silent, then turned on sound, vibration and LED in Light Flow and all is working as desired with a flashing LED instead of the horrid solid purple the GFE app was putting up. Hopefully what ever is working will persist across a reboot
    08-11-2012 09:13 AM
    ive found the settings i like everything set to stay on instead of flashing so i can pull the phone out in an instant and see what i missed but use custom colours at the right of the colour grid and nearly at the bottom so theyr really dark. it looks better and uses less battery. now i cant decide weather its worth havin a warning light for battery gettin low.... id guess its more efficient than having it vibrate every minute to warn me.. i think... anyone?
    08-11-2012 08:19 PM
    Question: I tried light flow light, didn't have what I needed, un installed, changed my settings back in my main settings, and now I'm not getting an LED notification only sporadically.

No longer getting one for Gmail.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    08-12-2012 12:56 PM
    no idea man. id mail the dev'. he seems pretty interested in helping
    08-12-2012 01:06 PM
    Question: I tried light flow light, didn't have what I needed, un installed, changed my settings back in my main settings, and now I'm not getting an LED notification only sporadically.

Any ideas?

just out of curiosity, what doesn't it have that you need? I think it's very robust with tons of options.
    08-12-2012 02:38 PM
    just out of curiosity, what doesn't it have that you need? I think it's very robust with tons of options.
    The lite version didn't have what I need. Should have clarified.

I haven't bought the full version yet, as it's a separate app, not just an unlock...

I'm probably going to buy it, as it does have the sleep feature, which I love. still curious why my LEDs would stop working when I un-installed the lite version.

08-12-2012 04:51 PM
    have u done a reboot since uninstalling mate?
    08-12-2012 04:54 PM
    have u done a reboot since uninstalling mate?
    Several. I get notified for kik messenger and Tweakdeck updates with LED, but nothing for email.

Normally was a flashing blue light. Now nothing. I checked all the settings I could think of, but haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary

08-12-2012 05:27 PM

Any ideas?
    This may sound obvious but I make silly mistakes all the time!

When you install Light Flow you're supposed to turn off all system and app notifications so Light Flow can control them instead. Did you turn off your Gmail notifications (within the Gmail app settings) and forget to turn them back on when you uninstalled?

If that's not it - have you rebooted since uninstalling Light Flow?
    08-12-2012 06:07 PM
    The latest:

Light Flow - Blog

"11 August 2012 - I've managed to get the app working on non rooted phones. There's no solid green light when you've no notifications and when you select a color from the color list it shows the correct color. I've a bit more testing to do, but things are looking good.

At the moment the differences between the rooted and non-rooted version are:

Rooted version: the led stays on when the screen is on, not rooted it goes off (which is standard android default functionality)
    The blue pulse and 2 flash colors are not available as there's no way to access this control file
    If you use the "custom led color" option, those colors will be messed up as there's no way I'll be able to write that to issue the correct colors as the color matrix is too messed up, but the main default 18 colors all show up fine and you can still "play" with custom colors, just don't expect to get the color you chose!
    12 August 2012 - Not much to report today, non rooted test still going well and I've been benchmarking the battery usage ready for trying to add in the flashing code (plus trying to work out in my head the best way to tackle flashing). Sounds simple, but it's quite tricky.

I'm getting a lot of requests for getting the led flashing. I'm pretty sure that I can do this, but the app will use a little more battery when flashing than with a solid LED. Lots of people expect the solid led to drain the battery, but leds only use a tiny fraction of the phones power. To get the led to flash I'm going to have to do it programmatically and to do this the phone needs to partially wake (to run the code) each time it changes state from on/off. At the moment I'm not sure of the battery drain effect of doing this, but I'm pretty sure a rapid flash rate wouldn't be good, but I'm hoping a slow flash speed will be ok."
    08-12-2012 06:09 PM
    now thats a good dev' and it isnt even a payed-for app (yet). anyone ever tried reporting a bug to the Smart Keyboard Pro dev's?.. im disgusted that i gave them my money instead of keepin the cracked version!
    hope the lightflow app continues to improve and the dev' can make it a payed app, he deserves it
    08-12-2012 06:32 PM
    now thats a good dev' and it isnt even a payed-for app (yet). anyone ever tried reporting a bug to the Smart Keyboard Pro dev's?.. im disgusted that i gave them my money instead of keepin the cracked version!
    hope the lightflow app continues to improve and the dev' can make it a payed app, he deserves it
    There are both lite and paid versions of LF.

08-12-2012 07:14 PM
    This may sound obvious but I make silly mistakes all the time!

When you install Light Flow you're supposed to turn off all system and app notifications so Light Flow can control them instead. Did you turn off your Gmail notifications (within the Gmail app settings) and forget to turn them back on when you uninstalled?

If that's not it - have you rebooted since uninstalling Light Flow?
    Yes.. Did all of that. Checked settings, rebooted, nothing.

Doesn't matter ATM, bought full app and it all works ok. Just curious as to why it would stop working when un installed

08-12-2012 07:15 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD