Quickie-Question regarding Icons and Notifications

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
On and iPhone and BB phone, when you get a new email or whatsapp message, the icon automatically changes to incllude a little number "1" next to the icon so that you know that you've received a notification within that app.

Is this the same for the GS3? I heard from a friend that the icon doesn't change to indicate notications receipt within the app, and the only way to know which app received a message is by bringing down the "notification centre."

Thanks guys.

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.

So I guess the answer is that stock Touchwiz doesn't have icons that light up with the respective notifications?

That's insane. It's sucha simple feature...

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks.

So I guess the answer is that stock Touchwiz doesn't have icons that light up with the respective notifications?

That's insane. It's sucha simple feature...
It's a failing of TouchWiz that I too neither like nor understand, but it's not quite as bad as it sounds. If you receive an email, there is a small notification in the upper left corner of the lock screen. Phone calls (and text messages, I think) have larger notifications in the main part of the lock screen so you can know which app to open from the lock screen. But it would be easier if they simply put the notification on the app icon, I agree.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
nova prime isnt free though :(

No and neither is "Missed It!" (the other App required to get them working) but definitely worth it IMO to get global support for Badge Notifications...once you have them you won't be able to go without them and kicking yourself for waiting so long to get them!
LoL
Do the right thing & get them.
You'll thank yourself later, you'll see.
And you'll be able to show any of your iPhone friends that Android supports their beloved Badge Notification feature too :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Yea I found this a not strange as to why this hasn't been included. Thought it was standard on all phones. Same as like having a certain message tone for a contact. (Not ringtone). BTW I downloaded go launcher for the notification thing. I didn't really like the layout so I uninstalled it and for some reason my s3 is like lightening. Its great

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

LurkerX

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I like the stock notifications. You only have one place to looks to see all the notifications, the top letft, instead of scanning every icon for every app. Bleh.

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Why settle for just SMS / GMail / Missed Calls Badge Notifications?!

Here's how to get Badge Notifications (the little red #'s) for ALL your Android Apps!

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=199709

Thank guys. I find myself saying what everyone has been saying all along. BB is the only phone with all the customisation features geared for an immersive experience when using the phone for communication, but it lacks in every other aspect of the smartphone game. iOS isn't too bad but the battery is hell and the screen is crazy small. Android is too awesome with customisation but there ate too many options to choose from! Wish an industry standard set of features will be implemented in the ecosystem one day. For one, global badge notifications!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
thats the thing with android though. its open source so there will never be an industry standard but on the other hand someone has shown us one way to get a desired feature and thats the beauty of it

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
...Android is too awesome with customisation but there ate too many options to choose from!...

You can never have "too many options" IMO. I have for a example about 20$ spent on a half dozen Apps geared solely on improving how I get my Notifications...and am always on the hunt for more.
I spend about 50$/mos on games & Apps...use to be more but I needed to draw the line somewhere, LoL

...on the other hand someone has shown us one way to get a desired feature and thats the beauty of it

What desired feature?

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
nova prime isnt free though :(
I don't know about you but $4 is well worth it for the extra features as far as I'm concerned. I realize GO Launcher is free but it's gotten so bloated and has so many little pointers to all of their other programs I got really tired of it.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about you but $4 is well worth it for the extra features as far as I'm concerned. I realize GO Launcher is free but it's gotten so bloated and has so many little pointers to all of their other programs I got really tired of it.

same. Why does one need go launcher for go locker? That's so stupid. Waste of memory

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
...Why does one need ... go locker?...

Try WidgetLocker. Yeah it's a Paid App but it makes your Lock Screen as customizable as any other screen in your phone. Worth the $ IMO.

Oh, and it also supports global Badge Notifications (not just SMS / GMail / Missed Calls)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
You can never have "too many options" IMO. I have for a example about 20$ spent on a half dozen Apps geared solely on improving how I get my Notifications...and am always on the hunt for more.
I spend about 50$/mos on games & Apps...use to be more but I needed to draw the line somewhere, LoL

What desired feature?

the global badge notifications mate :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante