08-26-2012 02:37 PM
86 1234
tools
    I am so close. I just feel like i will reget it if i don't wait to see what the iphone 5 has to offer.

Did u get the rubberized band at the apple store?
    That is something I pondered as well, but ultimately it came down to this. iOS 6 did not impress me. I was extremely disappointed with that announcement. The iPhone 5 will probably get hardware exclusive features in its 6, but I felt like none of it would be that big a change. Apple seems to be at a point where they are afraid to do anything truly groundbreaking. Even the leaked hardware looks disappointing. Say what you want about it maybe not being the real deal, I didn't want to wait to find out. The leaks were enough to also bore me on the hardware front. With both software and hardware boring me, I saw no other choice but to switch.

Also, I love having a phone that not everyone has. Most people buy an iPhone because that's the cool thing to do, and it irritates me now more than ever. Didn't mean to go all hipster, anti-mainstream and all, it's just a pet peeve.
    08-11-2012 07:25 PM
    No screen protector and your not worried. There is a thread here about how everybody has scratches
    not everyone lol. certain phones seem to be gettin it. i got mine as soon as it was released in the UK (a good while before the US), never had a screen protector on it, the back is scratched and grazed coz i throw the thing around but the screen is honestly flawless. if there was so much as a tiny micro-scratch at certain angles id hold my hands up and be honest but its pristine
    08-11-2012 07:28 PM
    I had an iphone 4 and i bought a razr maxx. The build quality of the maxx us solid but it does not quite match the iphone. It had its creeks and the vibration had a buzz to it and loose buttons. Like some thing inside the phone was rattling around when the motor would spin. I almost took it back because i thought something was wrong but my wife's maxx and my brother in law's maxx do the same thing. The s3 does not feel like the iphone either the metal and glass just has that substantial feel to it but the s3 still feels solid more so than my maxx. The back snaps on with so many tabs that it does not creek or feel flimsy unless it is removed from the device. When attached it feels very solid. And the vibration is a nice strong sound buzz without any strange resonance. The s3 does feel sleek and high end in hand not to mention once you use it and experience the horsepower this thing has any doubt goes out the window. I like the iphone but the 5 or whatever they call it will have to be one hell of a device for me to consider switching back to apple. I am not a fanboy I use what suits my needs and the s3 does just that. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I can't believe how many people have switch from iphones to the S3 that is really saying alot actually
    08-11-2012 07:30 PM
    Also, ever get angry about reloading tabs or apps (like I am on my iPad right now)? Won't even happen with the GS III. Multiple threads open and ever single one has the refresh as I open it, but on my phone they'd open right up. Talk about annoying
    08-11-2012 07:31 PM
    If you get the Defender case, the likelihood of scratches is greatly reduced with GG2 and the screen protector. It will also protect against dings and unexpected falls. Check out the scratch test videos.
    08-11-2012 07:32 PM
    That is something I pondered as well, but ultimately it came down to this. iOS 6 did not impress me. I was extremely disappointed with that announcement. The iPhone 5 will probably get hardware exclusive features in its 6, but I felt like none of it would be that big a change. Apple seems to be at a point where they are afraid to do anything truly groundbreaking. Even the leaked hardware looks disappointing. Say what you want about it maybe not being the real deal, I didn't want to wait to find out. The leaks were enough to also bore me on the hardware front. With both software and hardware boring me, I saw no other choice but to switch.

Also, I love having a phone that not everyone has. Most people buy an iPhone because that's the cool thing to do, and it irritates me now more than ever. Didn't mean to go all hipster, anti-mainstream and all, it's just a pet peeve.
    I am actually kinda annoyed with it as well.
    08-11-2012 07:34 PM
    There's nothing wrong with the build quality at all.

This argument reminds me of the whole glock vs 1911 debate.

Glocks were plastic pistols and the 1911 guys refused to give them a chance even though they proved to be better guns.

Not it's translated to phones

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III on T-Mobile! goodbye Sprint!
    08-11-2012 07:35 PM
    Unless the iPhone 5 will drive me to work I'm never going back...
    Cars that drive themselves are currently a Google thing my friend

Seriously, watch that vid... it's cool as hell!!

Rev.
    08-11-2012 07:35 PM
    I had a iPhone 4, contract was up and as much as I liked my phone, I was ready for a change.
    I'm glad I did. I'm really diggin this phone.
    I'm big on protecting any phone I have no matter what so I've got a Zagg screen protector on and a Otterbox Commuter being shipped (using a bodyglove case until the commuter gets here). Not crazy about the orange peel feeling of the screen protector, but it will do the job until I find something I like better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG that makes me not miss my iPhone 4
    08-11-2012 07:36 PM
    Originally Posted by SHiFT.<br />
    I am so close. I just feel like i will reget it if i don't wait to see what the iphone 5 has to offer.<br />
    <br />
    Did u get the rubberized band at the apple store?
    <br />
    <br />
    That is something I pondered as well, but ultimately it came down to this. iOS 6 did not impress me. I was extremely disappointed with that announcement. The iPhone 5 will probably get hardware exclusive features in its 6, but I felt like none of it would be that big a change. Apple seems to be at a point where they are afraid to do anything truly groundbreaking. Even the leaked hardware looks disappointing. Say what you want about it maybe not being the real deal, I didn't want to wait to find out. The leaks were enough to also bore me on the hardware front. With both software and hardware boring me, I saw no other choice but to switch.<br />
    <br />
    I hate that most people think iPhone is better my whole family has iPhones and they think their phone is better but still they are like wow with my phones.

Sent from my paranoid S3:smokingsomb:
    08-11-2012 07:38 PM
    Traded in my iPhone 4s for the S3, loving it so far. I also have an iPad 2, MacBook pro, iPod as well. I went back and forth for about a week, did my research and finally went for it and got the S3. If I didn't like it, I could return it and go back to the iPhone. I love the S3, hell even got money back on Apple Care I bought when the 4s came out too.

As for build quality, I don't see an issue. My 1st iPad 2 had a problem with the screen coming up around the home button, i returned it and got another and no issues since. Sometimes every company has issues with build quality. The only way to really tell if your going to like it is to try it yourself so you can see if it fits your needs and wants. Just do your homework.
    08-11-2012 07:45 PM
    I hate that most people think iPhone is better my whole family has iPhones and they think their phone is better but still they are like wow with my phones.

Sent from my paranoid S3:smokingsomb:
    Same here, but I recommended they all get iPhones. They're not the tech savviest, and Android would just confuse the hell out of them. My dad especially, who barely understands his iPhone.

Perhaps my biggest annoyance was in Best Buy Mobile the other day when a lady came in and said she was thinking abut upgrading to an iPhone because all her friends have one. The sales rep asked what phone she had and she only called it Android. Those two things just made me boil inside.
    08-11-2012 07:45 PM
    Build quality is great on the S3. I have owned many many high end phones and this is the best of them. It is solid, no problems with my screen. I love this phone and Very happy with it.

Apple's opening court statement...
    "It's easier to copy than Innovate"

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3
    08-11-2012 07:58 PM
    I had an iphone 4 and i bought a razr maxx. The build quality of the maxx us solid but it does not quite match the iphone. It had its creeks and the vibration had a buzz to it and loose buttons. Like some thing inside the phone was rattling around when the motor would spin.

This MAXX user has no idea what you are talking about...loose buttons? None here...motor spin? What are you talking about?... I am here to support what EVERY professional review of the MAXX has stated...the build quality of the phone is tops. Certainly as solid as wife's 4s. If Kevlar, diamond cut steel and gorilla glass are not premium enough go buy a TAGG.

Rant aside if the S3 had been available I would have certainly considered. Its a beautiful screen and you will enjoy it. I personally love the way it feels...

That said don't go knocking the MAXX..op is clearly a fringe opinion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    08-11-2012 08:13 PM
    I actually just held it about 30 minutes ago. It feels so light. I would put an otterbox on it and a zagg invisible shield.

Maybe its the effect that apple has over me. I have a macbook, imac, ipad, appletv and iphone 4 and they all work so well together. I dont know.
    Speaking a hardcore Apple fan that owns 2 Macs, Apple TV, every generation of iPhone, and iPad. I will say that Android is NOTHING like iOS. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily. Android is far more customizable, and that's good and it's bad. In areas where the device should "just work" it sort of falls short, like the keyboard. Say what you want, but none of the keyboards outside of the stock keyboard(Jellybean) is even close to the level of the iPhone.

Secondarily, for a phone with a 1.5ghz dual core processor, and 2 gigs of ram, there sure is a fair amount of lag. Also having apps time our or randomly freeze is also no bueno.

Keep in mind, there is a slight learning curve. However if you are tech savvy, you should pick it up in no time.

With that being said, the 4.8" Super Amoled HD display is awesome, but strangely not as bright as the iPhones display. The phone while not a 1 handed device, fits nicely in the hand, and is super light. The screen scratches easily, but that's nothing a screen cover won't fix. I think my biggest gripe here is touchwiz. However keep in mind some of the Launchers do an excellent job of hiding it. While customization, and choice is good, certain things like the keyboard(which is essential to interact with the phone) should not be removed. The Samsung variant is absolutely horrible. I wish they at least gave an option to use the stock ICS keyboard. Overall the experience here is positive, but keep in mind the SIII doesn't have Apples level of polish. If you are really on the fence, and deep down don't want to leave the iPhone. I would at least wait for the new iPhone, and then make your decision. I have had no regrets switching over. I've customized my phone the way I like it, and now everything works like a charm.

Sorry for the rant guys, I just thought I'd chime in since I was in the same boat not to long ago.
    08-11-2012 08:37 PM
    Where are you seeing the lag? Which apps are freezing? Could it be the apps that you are running causing the issues?
    08-11-2012 09:33 PM
    Say what you want, but none of the keyboards outside of the stock keyboard(Jellybean) is even close to the level of the iPhone.
    On this point I have to strongly disagree. I use Swiftkey 3 and it blows the iPhone's keyboard out of the water by far. I've even demoed it to iPhone users having them take my phone and blast away typing a few sentences (and I always tell them don't correct or use backspace just go!) and they are always in awe how accurately it corrects to display what they intended to type. No way in hell the iPhone keyboard beats Swiftkey 3.

I also don't have any lag whatsoever.

Rev.
    08-11-2012 09:39 PM
    The thing i can't get pass is the cheap plastic. The screen scratches easy. Not sure what to do. Is it really that big of a deal. 3 years is a long time
    It's certainly made light, and that took some getting used-to for me. Actually, it was the thinness that got to me even more. I was used to holding onto something thicker.

For the time that I was using it naked (the phone, not me), I would never call it "cheap plastic" - plastic . . . yes . . . cheap . . . no. There were no creaks or groans or snaps or pops. It was as solid (but light) as possible while still allowing Samsung to build it light like people seem to want.

As for the glass, I'm convinced that scratched glass is a red herring issue on these phones. "Everyone" does not have scratched glass on their phone - I don't. Anything can get damaged with the right kind of use or abuse. It's going to happen, but it's not something that's a problem with the SG3 . . . any more or any less with any other comperable phone.

In fact, have you seen this scratch test video? It might put it in perspective with the current iphone:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK318yBOvjw[/YT]
    08-11-2012 10:12 PM
    In areas where the device should "just work" it sort of falls short, like the keyboard. Say what you want, but none of the keyboards outside of the stock keyboard(Jellybean) is even close to the level of the iPhone.
    Give me a break. The apple keyboard is terrible. You can't even tell if your in uppercase, caps or lowercase without looking at an icon that your thumb always seems to be hovering over. The Samsung keyboard is definitely not perfect but with some tweaks can workouts fine.

The iPhone is for people who don't want to think about changing the way something works. They just want it to work the only way they're given. A lot of people have iPhones because they think it's cool.

Sent from my VZW Samsung Galaxy SIII
    08-11-2012 10:41 PM
    I love my S3. Best Android I've ever owned. Got it July 6th and out a screen protecter and a tpu case on 4 days later. Dropped it once and all is well. No scratches or anything.

Btw, the only reason my wife has an iPhone 4 cuz her sisters have them. Nuff said...

Sent from my VZW Samsung Galaxy SIII
    08-11-2012 10:43 PM
    Hello,

I am still on the fence about getting the S3. I currently have an iphone 4 and my contract is up sept first. I have been really looking at the S3. I love android and how customizable it is. The thing i can't get pass is the cheap plastic. The screen scratches easy. Not sure what to do. Is it really that big of a deal. 3 years is a long time

Thanks
    SHiFT.
    Look at this video: Galaxy S3 VS iPhone 4S scratch test
    08-12-2012 05:49 AM
    This MAXX user has no idea what you are talking about...loose buttons? None here...motor spin? What are you talking about?... I am here to support what EVERY professional review of the MAXX has stated...the build quality of the phone is tops. Certainly as solid as wife's 4s. If Kevlar, diamond cut steel and gorilla glass are not premium enough go buy a TAGG.

Rant aside if the S3 had been available I would have certainly considered. Its a beautiful screen and you will enjoy it. I personally love the way it feels...

That said don't go knocking the MAXX..op is clearly a fringe opinion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Yes the volume buttons are loose as in they move without being pressed. Motor as in the one that spins with an off balance weight attached in order to cause vibration. Used since, I don't know the pager. When vibrating it causes a strange additional resonance when vibrating. No other phone i have owned has had the additional resonance. I own a maxx and an iphone 4 as does my wife and a couple of other people I know and they all do exactly what i described. There is no phone that i have experienced and i have had a few that is built as well as the iphone period. If people think the maxx is built as well as the iphone they probably never owned one. That said my maxx has become my back up 4G phone. It is a good phone but other than battery life it pales in comparison to the s3. As much as i enjoy the s3 if the next iphone or maxx HD or any phone suits my needs better than the s3 i will be switching to it.

The personal attack is unnecessary net rage is an easy thing to do i understand. I do not fall into a fan boy camp i like the maxx but i have no problem with mentioning its faults either. As far as watches go perhaps you should brush up a bit if you feel that a "TAGG"(i will give you the auto correct benefit of the doubt there) is a true high end time piece. TAG Heuer minus a few gems are bottom of the list in the WIS world. From a materials used stand point Sinn would have been a better choice there but i digress.

08-12-2012 06:35 AM
    LOL....well.....

I have a Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop, S3( pebble blue from Sprint), Samsung dishwasher, Samsung BD player, Samsung HMX-10 vid camera, 2 Samsung monitors, and a slew of Samsung SD cards. Am I a Samsung fanboy? No. It just worked out this way. I can say that Samsung has it's **** together on some things but not on others. Like my dishwasher. Works great but the plastic ring around the control panel broke after 3 months. My BD player...the front door to the tray broke after 2 months of use. 2 of my SD cards gave up the ghost after 1 month of use. But my S2 I had and my S3 have been flawless. Heck even Svoice kicks butt!

I like my phone. I do. But would I ever consider an apple iphone? NO! Why? Because of thier business model. Apple makes great polished and shiney products but it ends there. They don't innovate...they litigate...at least Samsung puts out different models so people have a choice as to what they want. Don't want an S3? Get the S2! or get the Transform . Point is is that they have many different phones on all the carriers so consumers can buy a phone that suits thier needs. But apple....oh no....you have pretty much two choices. iphone 4 or iphone 4S. As for iphone 5...will be the same as every other apple product. Don't even get me started on apple's tablets....that would get me banned off AC!!

All in all...I don't think Samsung is the bomb. They make good products with many different choices so you can be all you can be....not just another sheeple in the herd....

Thank you all. Thank you very much.
    08-12-2012 07:38 AM
    edited by moderator
    08-12-2012 08:11 AM
    Where are you seeing the lag? Which apps are freezing? Could it be the apps that you are running causing the issues?
    To be fair, while some other apps have crashed on me, it's usually just the Facebook app. It was equally horrible on the iPhone, and still is on my iPad. I always thought it was just an iOS thing. As far as the lag goes it always seems like animations aren't buttery smooth like on the iPhone, but I changed some settings in the developer options that have seemed to help.

On this point I have to strongly disagree. I use Swiftkey 3 and it blows the iPhone's keyboard out of the water by far. I've even demoed it to iPhone users having them take my phone and blast away typing a few sentences (and I always tell them don't correct or use backspace just go!) and they are always in awe how accurately it corrects to display what they intended to type. No way in hell the iPhone keyboard beats Swiftkey 3.

I also don't have any lag whatsoever.

Rev.
    You know that was the first keyboard I downloaded, and while it has been usable I still find myself hitting backspace way too much. The Jellybean Keyboard I downloaded was nearly flawless on the other hand. I am a fairly rapid typer, and I hate having to keep hitting backspace every time I mess up. And while it's not a deal breaker, I just wish the native ICS keyboard hadn't been removed.
    08-12-2012 08:26 AM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD